Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Why no medals

alecnorwell

Herbert Norwell joined the 31 Reserve Batt, Royal Fusiliers as a private, 1st June 1916, promoted to L/Cpl 19th Jan 1917, and to Corporal 12th May 1917. On the 28th Aug 1917, he joined the 5th Batt, Royal Fusiliers as a 2/Lt.

On the 12th April 1918, during the Battle of the Lys, he was killed

but why no medals, and if no medal, why a MIC, also why no "Theatre of War" date

Puzzled Alec

post-7382-1138070821.jpg

Hi Alec!

You probably have this already from CWGC - when you downloaded his MIC - how many others were downloaded on the same sheet ? - he has to have another medal card - also he is remembered on more than one panel at Tyne Cot ..... !

In Memory of

Second Lieutenant HERBERT NORWELL

5th Bn. attd. 2nd Bn., Royal Fusiliers

who died age 20

on 12 April 1918

Son of Alfred and Clara Norwell, of 167, Kimberley Rd., Leicester.

Remembered with honour

TYNE COT MEMORIAL

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 28 to 30 and 162 to 162A and 163A.

Annie

Alec

As an officer he, or a relative in his case, would have had to claim his medals; they weren't issued automatically as far as I am aware. The reference on the card NW/7/15318 relates to something but I'm not sure what. There also appears to be some writing to the left of that which is difficult to read.

No theatre of war date because he arrived overseas after the 1914 and 1915 Star entitlement ie: from January 1916 onwards.

As for Tyne Cot, the references are to the panels on which Royal Fusiliers are commemorated. He'll be on one of those panels listed.

Paul

Thanks for your reply, jmve2004, on this site has photos of Panels 28 to 30, and he isn't there, so he must be on Panels 162 to 162A and 163A, but other than CWGC, this has not been confirmed.

Alec

As an officer he, or a relative in his case, would have had to claim his medals; they weren't issued automatically as far as I am aware. The reference on the card NW/7/15318 relates to something but I'm not sure what. There also appears to be some writing to the left of that which is difficult to read.

No theatre of war date because he arrived overseas after the 1914 and 1915 Star entitlement ie: from January 1916 onwards.

As for Tyne Cot, the references are to the panels on which Royal Fusiliers are commemorated. He'll be on one of those panels listed.

Paul

Thanks for your reply, i have a copy of his service records, and they contain a few letters his father sent to the Army, trying to gain information on his sons death and location of his body. Nothing in the records of any replies, from the Army, if any. But none of the letters talk of medals, maybe he didn't bother, or didn't realise his son was entittled. He had two other sons serving, he mentioned in one letter, although only one has a MIC. I have never been to the NA, but plan to soon, so i will see if that ref no means anything. As for that writting in the corner, it appears to be a date, --/--/22. also the date on the right is interesting, 15/9/50?