Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Why is he on an AVL

philg

I have a relative who appears on the 1918 AVL for Hexham with his brothers, but has no regiment or unit listed, whereas his brothers do.

What could be the reasons for this?

thanks

Hello

perhaps he was abscent on the voting roll for another reason other than military service

Ian

Well he doesn't seem to have a medal card either, so it would appear that he didn't do any military service.

what other jobs could be done in WW1 which required time away from home but not result in a medal?

Could anybody go onto the 1918 AVL or just military personnel? He'd have been 31 in 1918.

Phil

By no means wishing to bad mouth your relative, but is it possible that he may have been in prison?

Chris

Well he doesn't seem to have a medal card either, so it would appear that he didn't do any military service.

what other jobs could be done in WW1 which required time away from home but not result in a medal?

Could anybody go onto the 1918 AVL or just military personnel? He'd have been 31 in 1918.

I have seen plenty of munitions workers and others in reserved occupations on the London AVLs

Isn't it possible that he could have been in the army, but doesn't have a medal card because he didn't serve in a recognised theatre of war so didn't qualify for any medals?

Tom

I don't think he was in the Forces because the AVL just has his name (suggesting that he can vote) but no reference to any kind of Forces unit. Whereas his 3 brothers are all listed and have their units listed as well.

So if he was a munitions worker would it say anything about that or would it just be blank?

Phil