Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11/Manchester Regt War Diary

birkettm

john,your right about marc being peeved about someone cutting and pasting his extract,but it wasnt us,chris was oblivious of the origins of the info,he thought it was donated,he only learned of this yesterday when i alerted him,he immediately deleted it from our forum and came straight on here to explain what had happened,its obvious that marc wants to carry on a unnecessary war of words,you are also a friend of chris,and know him to be a nice genuine lad,many others on this site have the same opinion,myself and roy have the same attetude as chris,we deplore the theft or misuse of another persons hard work,it seems to me,looking at marcs last comment,that he wants chris or the rest of our forum,to kiss his ****,well it aint gonna happen,we explained what happened,but its not good enough.

It is worth noting that the only people to assist Marc in his request for information were members of the Manchester Regiment Group

It does seem then an unusual sort of action to then go to their website, (i assume looking for more information, ) and then complain .............. :huh:

Seemingly not.
john,marc hasnt left it,he is still having a GO,even after we explained that it was a totally innocent action by chris,he wasnt to know that it was somebody elses data,its been explained on this topic,but he wont accept that we were totally innocent.my final word is.chris is correct about his source of info,it came from one of our distinguished members,and now hes claiming it as his :angry:

Gentlemen.

I am not asking anyone to "kiss my ****", I am well aware of my limitations as far as as a WW1 researcher is concerned and I have no direct links to the national archives or as a researcher of my regiment of choice. However, the link to the manchesters website was provided through an a certain party of another forum and therefore is not a case of my searching for information, although I was annoyed to see my work passed of as another's. Although I cannot claim IP to this content (that lies with the original author), I am sure I can claim copyright to my interpretation of it regarding soldiers name, missed words, misspelled words, etc and so forth.

Make no mistake, I was privileged that the website in question would feel fit to use my transcript but I would have liked to been asked permission to use it, had this been so i would have been happy to provide more details.

I assume that whoever reads this would be annoyed to see their work (however small and immaterial) being used furnish someone else's site without permission being sought, or credits being stated.

To my mind this is obviously a case of misunderstanding via a third party and I hope that I can now leave this be by stating:

"I AM HAPPY FOR YOU TO USE MY TRANSCRIPT. JUST PLEASE PROVIDE A REFERENCE EITHER TO ME OR THE GWF."

I also hope you take my advice on board regarding checking your sources, as i would not like to see a private website sued for content regarding our chosen subject. I have a broad interest of the First World War and a deep respect for the people involved, and i hope if i ever have the sort of sources available to provide a such as resource regarding my chosen regiment; the Northumberland Fusiliers.

I also would finally like to state that I have found Harribobs and Manchester_Regiment to have been most helpful and reasonable in the past and had I known that Harribobs was the administrator of this site i would certainly have taken my objections via PM, i feel that the majority of this problem would have been avoided this way. I would also thank John Hartley for being the voice of reason.

This is my last statement on the subject, I shall also be curtailing my activity on this message board, i will not however request my account is deleted, therefore should anyone wish to communicate with me re this subject or any other i would be happy to receive their queries via PM.

I also thank Harribobs for his corrections to my transcript. I shall be sure to note his input.

Thanks

Marc Birkett

i had already noted that you got the reference from the British Medal forum, I assume that you were researching an 11th batt soldiers medals, were using that forum and then were directed to the GWF to that end

If you'd have looked on the manchesters home page, you'd have seen our names there, if you'd have looked on our forum, you'd have seen all the contributors to this thread. we give out informaton on all the battalions on a daily basis

we have no interest in using your transcript

• 7 years later...

Hi, im new to this site and have had a telling off for piggy backing so I hope this is an appropriate post.

I am researching a grt. Uncle ernest newby who was with 11/mcr rgt & 34th MGC. He was injured on 3/10/17 andd died on 17/10/17. Having had a look at war diary it tells me 3rd passed without incident but I know there was a skirmish and a machine gun captured. Can anyone help fill in some gaps as we are going to be visiting the area next weekend thanks

Hi, im new to this site and have had a telling off for piggy backing so I hope this is an appropriate post.

I am researching a grt. Uncle ernest newby who was with 11/mcr rgt & 34th MGC. He was injured on 3/10/17 andd died on 17/10/17. Having had a look at war diary it tells me 3rd passed without incident but I know there was a skirmish and a machine gun captured. Can anyone help fill in some gaps as we are going to be visiting the area next weekend thanks

I see that the War Graves Commission lists him as 11th Manchesters. How do you know he was serving with 34th Coy MGC at the time of death? Assuming he was, then the Coy will have been in support of the four infantry battalions of 34th Brigade. From the war diary, you know that the 11th was not in action and you'd therefore need to access the war diaries of the other three battalions - 8th Northumberland Fusiliers, 9th Lancashire Fusiliers and 5th Dorsetshire - to establish which was in action. You'd also need to access the MGC diary if you've not already done so.

Thank you john, I know from 11th war diary that he was wounded in 3/19/17 and is listed as being with S Company on that day (his obituary states ge was a machine gunner wuth the rgt so rightly or wrongly I have cime to conclusion that he may have been with 34TH MGC as they were attached to the 34th brigade and nanchesters were in 11th division) .

I am very new to ww1 research but having read mgc and 11th diary for th 3rd oct it would seem that there was geavy shelling around pheasant trench of which two platoon each ir R and S company were in line of shell holes with remaining two platoons in support in pheasant trench.. there were approximately 16 men killed or wounded on 3rd with most being from S coy.

As I am new I would love any pointers, different opinions or therories.

Thank you again. Alison