Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Lord Derby Hospital, Warrington

Ian C

Hi

One of the men buried in my local cemetery was an Australian by birth, with no connection in this country. He had been working in the Gold Coast and came here after his contract ended, at the outbreak of war he enlisted in our army. He was wounded in France and brought back to the Lord Derby Hospital in Warrington, where he died. He was buried in Fenny Stratford at his request because he had been stationed here before going to France. Doe anyone know if the records from this hospital survive, where they are and if they are open to the public.

Regards

IanC

This hospital was at Winwick about a mile or two from where I live, Most of the site (which was a sprawling Victorian Asylum) was demolished in the late 90's and a prestigious housing development built on the site. Some of the original buildings together with modern buildings form part of the Hollins Park Hospital, Winwick (i.e its modern name) and I have seen a couple of war memorials preserved in one of the Admin blocks at the hospital. As I recall it one records staff who died in the war and the other records the hospital's roll in the war and that it dealt with ??, 000 casualties during the war (I can't remember the exact number but think it was 90 odd thousand ?????). I have no idea if records of those treated survive but I would very much doubt it. Maybe some pal knows the details of the memorials and can post pics???

You know I worked there in 1981 and never saw the memorials but it was before I started looking into the Great War. I believe there are no records left or grave markers. Where they actually went too I don't know.

Sorry I can't be of more help. One other thing before I put this on, there was rumoured still 'locked wards' when I was there but being a student we never went in them.

Mandy

One more thing there is a very well maintained War Graves plot (with a lot of Canadian burials) near the entrance to Warrington Cemetery, which is on Manchester road, Warrington. I believe most of these died whilst at Lord Derby hospital.