Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kortrijk St. Jean Cemetery

AOK4

Hello,

I live in Bissegem, which is nowadays a part of Kortrijk. The Germans started a military cemetery on one of the civilian cemeteries at the time. Soon after the war the allied war dead (PoWs that DoW, casualties from the fighting in October/November 1918 and soldiers that died after the war because of wounds, diseases or accidents) were taken from the German cemetery and buried together (quite a few couldn't be found back and should be in the Mass Grave at Langemark). The dead from a few other British cemeteries from the area were also brought here (Kortrijk La Madeleine and Heule Sinte-Katrine).

The soldiers that couldn't be found back have a special memorial around the Cross of Sacrifice. Texts on them are: 'Known to be buried in this cemetery' and 'Buried elsewhere in this cemetery' (which I had not found before).

post-19-1062505562.jpg

The funny thing is: there is a second Cross of Sacrifice on the other side of the small track, together with the French gravestones.

It looks identical to the standard British one, although it is smaller and has no bronze cross. Could this perhaps be an old Cross of Sacrifice that somehow survived because it is now in the French plot?

post-19-1062505676.jpg

Another view on the Cemetery, in which also a number of WW2 casualties (from 1940 and 1944) can be found.

Regards,

Jan

post-19-1062505740.jpg

Jan

This is almost certainly not a CWGC Cross of Sacrifice. Probably a local 'copy' provided by the French/Belgians.

This is a communal cemetery and only the British section is cared for by CWGC. I have seen several 'copies' of the Cross in other cemeteries.

Terry,

It is exactly the same design, that's why I guessed it could be an older version. Did the British always use exactly the same design since 1920 or something?

Jan

The design (by Reginald Blomfield) was always used although some slight variation in size was allowed to keep proportions correct within smaller cemeteries. The sword/cross is always present.

There are some variations used in certain cemeteries in some parts of the world to blend in with local surroundings. These will be found in Italy, Macedonia etc but not on the WF.

It is usually constructed of Portland stone but other stones were used in some parts of the world.

Jan & Terry,

Earlier this year I visited Ramleh cemetery which was in use for thirty years from 1918 to 1948 and I was struck by its (to me) unusual layout: the headstones of WWI face those of WWII. This I supposed is the reason for Ramleh having two crosses, which are placed at different ends of the cemetery. You mention some WWII graves Jan, could this also be the reason where you are; a different cross for the different sets of graves?

Regards

Michael D.R.

Michael

It is true that often two Crosses are found when over forty WW2 graves were added to a cemetery previously with a WW1 Cross. However, I don't think that is the case here.

I still think it is a non-CWGC monument - possibly French supplied.

A call to the CWGC office in Ypres should get the answer!

Terry,

I am very grateful for your quick reply

Can I press you on the point of the two sets of headstones facing one another at Ramleh; Is this usual?

Many thanks for your guidance

Michael D.R.

Michael

I can't say that this layout is either usual or unusual. It all depends on the layout of the cemetery and the ground available.

Large groups of burials from the two world wars occur in several cemeteries but their location is a matter of local circumstances. In some places they may be side by side and in others opposite.

I have just looked at the plan of Ramleh and I can't see anything specially significant in the siting of the WW2 plot opposite the WW1. In fact the WW1 (with Inter-War burials also) is in an oblong plot faced by the square WW2 plot at one end and by the smaller oblong WW1 Egyptian/muslim plot at the other.

In Kortrijk, the WW2 stones are facing the same direction as all the other stones, in fact there is not even a separate plot, all the dead (WW1 and WW2) are in the same plot, just the special memorials around the Cross of Sacrifice and a few CLC gravestones are facing another direction.

The second cross is standing next to a few French graves.

Normally the French don't use the Cross of Sacrifice or any large monument in such small groups of graves (I guess around 10), that's why I came up with this idea...

Jan