Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captured British planes

Cnock

Vickers near Lille

Egbert

It's definitely not a Vickers, but a BE 12 of No 8 Sqn RFC, downed by Fl Abt 22 during the Battle of the Somme.

Regards

Gareth

Hi,

Perhaps a silly question, but I noticed in an earlier post that some SE5's were fitted with a 2 blade prop and others with a four blade.

What would be the advantages of say a 4 blade over a 2 blade?

Nige

• 1 year later...
BE2e of 34 Sqn

Was forced to land on 29/8/1916 during storm.

2lt Cairns and 2Lt Tulloch were made prisoner of war.

The aircraft is SN 5836. Made by British and Colonial at Bristol. My research indicates that this batch were ordered as BE2ds. This aircraft has BE2e wings so may have been converted (to BE2g). The Germans painted crosses on the wheels after it was captured. More pictures of the aircraft are in Windsock Datafile #14 p5 and it is featured on the coverart. Cheers

Hi,

Perhaps a silly question, but I noticed in an earlier post that some SE5's were fitted with a 2 blade prop and others with a four blade.

What would be the advantages of say a 4 blade over a 2 blade?

Nige

4 blades increase rate of climb but decrease speed

Bad quality photo of unidentified Triplane

Cnock

post-7723-1238149031.jpg

Cnock

I wonder if the Triplane might be N5377 '4' of No 1 Sqn RNAS, flown by FSL M J Watson, when it was shot down near Dadizeele by Ltn Wilde of Jasta 4 on 5 October 1917. It was Wilde's only victory.

Gareth

Gareth,

I think You have a point there.

I have different pics of Watson's Tripe, (not taken from the side of this pick) he had a '4' on the fuselage,

You can vaguely see what seems to be a '4'

Regards,

Cnock

Bristol F2b, 11 Sqn, downed 20/11/1917

Cnock

post-7723-1238152922.jpg

post-7723-1238153197.jpg

The plane showed in post nr.34 was definitively broken up.

Here a Sopwith Pup; 46 Sqn, Lt. AP Mitchel POW on 7/6/1917

Cnock

post-7723-1238160417.jpg

Another Briisfit, 62 Sqn

downed on 19/5/1918

2Lt F Atkinson POW, DOW

Sgt CC Branner, POW

Cnock

post-7723-1238160923.jpg

• 1 year later...

The Sopwith Triplane - Great Britain

This section of the Aviation History Online Museum provides and overview of the design, operations, pilots and specifications of this special aircraft. [CEF Study Group – Jan 2007]

http://www.aviation-history.com/sopwith/triplane.html

Sopwith Triplane - YouTube Video

A 10 minute video examination of a museum Sopwith Triplane. [CEF Study Group - Oct 2010]

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=Jzr0eqWa7bY&feature=related

The Vintage Aviator

The Vintage Aviator Ltd. is a New Zealand Civil Aviation approved aircraft restoration and manufacturing company. They endeavour to maintain absolute authenticity with the original design. They make both airworthy and static aircraft for museum display and private collections. There is an extensive range of photographs, drawings and specifications to access including the following: Albatros DVa, FE.2b, Fokker DVII, SE.5a, Re.8 Reproduction, Bristol F2B, and the Sopwith Triplane Replica. This is a quality website with a unique business operation. [CEF Study Group – Sept 2010]

http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/

Hi,

Unfortunately it is

Regards,

Cnock

The unfortunate pilot was Sgt Thomas Frederick Stephenson (769) DCM. He joined the RFC on 7 July 1913 and served in France from 12 August 1914; his DCM was Gazetted on 4 March 1918. His observer, Lt T W Morse, was wounded and made a PoW.

Sgt Stephenson has no known grave, and is commemorated on the Arras Memorial.

RIP.

Gareth

hi guys, just found this on the net might be of interest to some says bulgarian soldiers with one of three downed on the 29 ? 1917 on the solonika front i think leave up to the experts

regards Martin

post-12731-049114500 1286579237.jpg

Martin

The aeroplane is BE12a A4040 of No 47 Sqn RFC, which crashed behind Bulgarian lines after an aerial combat on 29 October 1917 when on a bombing raid on Cestovo. The pilot, 2Lt Paul Denys Montague, formerly 20th Bn, Rifle Brigade) was killed in action.

I hope that this is useful.

Gareth

The unfortunate pilot was Sgt Thomas Frederick Stephenson (769) DCM. He joined the RFC on 7 July 1913 and served in France from 12 August 1914; his DCM was Gazetted on 4 March 1918. His observer, Lt T W Morse, was wounded and made a PoW.

Sgt Stephenson has no known grave, and is commemorated on the Arras Memorial.

RIP.

Gareth

Is it know on a map were he crash .

as a matter of interest . did any side operate captured enemy types

Ian

Yes, but to a very limited degree, on the Western Front the Germans flew some Nieuports and perhaps a SPAD VII, plus a Sopwith Camel - the ace Ltn Otto Kissenberth of Jasta 23b may have achieved his 20th victory while flying a Camel captured from No 3 Sqn RNAS.

On the Eastern Front, where the the Russians were usually grateful for anything modern that flew, some captured Austro-Hungarian and German aeroplanes were flown by Russian crews.

Cheers

Gareth

The Bulgarians flew a captured A-W Little Auk on night-bombing raids over the Struma, in Salonika. It was eventually brought down by fire from the British 91st AAS on 23rd May, 1918, at 23.44 hours. The Bulgarian crew escaped. This has been discussed on the Forum but the built-in Search function seems to be hopelessly broken and I can't find the thread.

Keith

Ian

Yes, but to a very limited degree, on the Western Front the Germans flew some Nieuports and perhaps a SPAD VII, plus a Sopwith Camel - the ace Ltn Otto Kissenberth of Jasta 23b may have achieved his 20th victory while flying a Camel captured from No 3 Sqn RNAS.

Those Nieuports may have been Siemens D1s - a very close copy mainly used on the EF or for training but some did reach the WF. The Russians and the Italians also built some German types under license and some of these will also have seen service in the early years.

Bardess found the topic for me and has my hearty thanks. The bits about the A-W are towards the end of the thread.

LINK

Keith

According to Franks, the ace Gustav Leffers flew a captured Nieuport and shot down an FE2b, and was eventually killed in this aircraft on 27/12/16.

Possibly Franks was caught out by the Siemens-Schuckert issue, but he also said that Kurt Student also flew a Nieuport 11, and specifically said that it was one from Escadrille N38 that he had brought down on 6th July 1916. (This was the same Kurt Student who became the General der Fallschirmjager in WW2). This was the period when the Fokker Eindeckers were becoming outclassed and before the Albatrosses and other D-types were available, so it must have been tempting to try an attractive captured prize. .

The British certainly test-flew captured types, but AFAIK did not use them operationally.