Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Third Ypres

Tom A McCluskey

Does anyone have any information (diary, letter, or other) relating to the 2/5th Royal Warwickshire Regiment at Passchendale.

A friend of mine would like to retrieve information on his paternal great grandfather. The details are as follows:

12257 L/Cpl Henry Hyatt

2/5th Bn Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Killed 06/091917

I believe he was in the 182 Bde, 61st Division

He was from Sparkhill in Birmingham. If anyone could possibly provide some regimental history (such as the War Office Diary), Battalion, Company, Field photos, anecdotes, it would be very, very, appreciated

I have managed to retrieve the CWGC & SDGW referrring to L/Cpl Henry Hyatt

In advance, Many Thanks

Tom McC

Tom,

not a lot of info but in Chris McCarthy's book, 'Passchendale The Day-by-Day Account' it states that on Thursday 6th September 1917 (The day he was shown as killed);

61st Division (xix Corps)

The 2/5th Warwicks made an unsuccesful attack on Hill 35.

(The temperature that day was shown as 77F. With rainfall of 24.6mm)

The only other mention of the 2/5th's in the book is for Saturday 1st September;

182 Brigade, An attempt was made by the 2/5th Warwicks to rush the enemy position on Hill 35. They managed to occupy a small portion.

Hope this may be of some help to you,

regards,

Scottie.

"Black Square Memories" (2/8th R Warwicks - same Bde) comments that the 2/5th attacked Hill 35 "a slight eminence overlooking our lines, and consisting of some old gun pits, two or more concrete shelters, and a series of organized shell-holes. This position was one of great importance, and had hitherto proved a great stumbling block. The 2/5th attacked with great pluck and persistence, with and without artillery preparation, but were unable to capture the place, owing to the very heavy machine gun fire from the position itself, and from the pill boxes and strong points supporting it on both sides. Heavy casualties were sustained."

Scottie & Steve,

Thanks for the excellent replies. Henry Hyatt Died of Wounds most probably during this attack. If any more information is found please post as it is most appreciated.

Does anyone have a link for their diary at the national archives? I have tried searching for one without success.

Again cheers

Tom McC

*or after this attack

• 2 years later...

I'd appreciate it if anyone can confirm that it was actually 2/5th Warwicks, and not 2/6th Warwicks, who carried out this attack.

I'm researching a 2/6th man listed as KIA on the 6th. I'd taken a digi-photo of what I thought was their war diary at Kew. I rather suspect I've picked the wrong file out of the box as it records this action - however, it also mentions the death, on 3/9 of 2nd Lt Lt I Sowerby who is listed by CWGC as being 6th Battalion not 5th.

Yours

Confused of Stockport

(PS: if I have coc&ed up, anyone know what the 2/6th was doing on the 6 September.)

Does anyone have a link for their diary at the national archives? I have tried searching for one without success.

No link, just a reference (WO 95/3056) since it hasn't been digitised. To order the relevant pages, go to the NA Catalogue and enter 2/5 Battalion Royal Warwickshire, click on the hyperlink and then the red-bordered 'Request this>' box.

Cheers,

Stuart

edit: Tom, just realised that most of this is thread is over 2 years old.

No longer Confused of Stockport.

A Forum search suggested there might be a Pal with a 2/6th Battalion History. He's sent me a copy (ta, mate) which confirms that "B" Coy certainly undertook an unsuccessful attack on pillboxes on 6/9 - so I had digi-photo'd the right diary.

BTW, it makes no mention of the 2/5th in this attack - presumably they were attacking elsewhere on the Hill.

John

I photographed all the Royal Warks panels at Tyne Cot last Friday but not with 100% exactitude and consequently this is all I got of Henry Hyatt.

post-17223-1214813362.jpg