Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wearing a relatives' medals - 2nd attempt

DCLI

Is it correct that you are allowed to wear a relative's medals, on the right breast? Does the relative have to be dead? How many generations after the relative has died (if that is the case) can you wear them?

I have to say I wouldn't feel right doing so anyway, but I am sure If I was spotted walking along Whitehall on the 11th of the 11th wearing Boer War, WW1 & WW2 medal groups, I am sure most people would not think I had earned them.

I have four dead relatives. In theory could I wear all their medals. QSA, trio and LSGC, MM trio, trio and a pair of WW2?

Again not that I would.

Apologies to all who opened my last topic on this and found nothing there...

Hi

In New Zealand on ANZAC Day, Family and Relatives can wear the Medals, as you said on the right hand side .

I cant see why you would want to be wearing someone's medals if they were capable and alive.

Jonathan.

There does seem to be a convention that people do wear relatives medals on the right chest on rememberance day. I dont think theres anything wrong with this if done for the right reason ie rememberance and its a close relative. Im not sure if there is a law to stop people wearing medals there not entitled to Im sure someone will be able to answer this. If I remember Michael Jackson wore some medals to his trial and if my memory serves me they were British. Thats so wrong even if they were copies, as you can imagine medal collectors could look very brave, but they dont do it. However the waring of non entitled medals has gone on for donkeys years. there was a set for sale recently where the owner of a WW1 pair had apparently awarded himself a Distinguished conduct and a military medal and a croix de guerre!. So on Nov 11th if you feel the ned to celebrate the life of a loved one do so, just one at a time though or all the bling will way you down. Gareth

When as a TA unit we paraded at the Cenotaph a pal of mine took his grandfather's Great War medals in his tunic pocket. It was a rather touching personal act of remembrance I thought.

There is no official line in respect of wearing deceased forebears awards,just accepted practice,as a mark of respect,they can be worn on the right,All official medals being worn by the recipient on the left.

I think that wearing the medals on the right side is a good thing for relatives if they wish to remember the sacrifices their ancestors made, not just in terms of the the ultimate sacrifice, but also in the hardships and horrors of war that they had to face.

I'm very proud like most people of their families service in the wars, and it is going to be the only way in future to keep the memory of the sacrifice made by previous generations alive in the minds of the youth (Personal history always has a much larger impact).

Unfortunately for me my grandfathers WW2 medals went missing after his death (they were to be passed down to me on my 18th birthday), but I would have been proud and honored to keep them safe for future generations of the family. I don't know if it's possible to get an official second set issued as replacements?

Regards

Paul

There seems to be a tradition of wearing relatives' medals on the right hand side if so desired.

Over here, recruits of the PSNI are encouraged to wear relatives' medals on their uniforms at their passing out parade. There is a story doing the rounds here of the newly-trained PC parading wearing his grandfather's Irish Republican Army medals. Went down like a lead balloon, but, as a PSNI spokesperson confirmed, he was not in breach of any regulation.

Paul

Hi All

I get my boy & girl to wear medals on the 11 Nov, As for mine i have 10 medals if i wear them all 8 British & 2 foreign. BEM,GSM,Gulf,UN,Nato,,Jubilee,ACM,LSGC, & foreign 2 SMFLOK, KLM, cheers

Are your medals swing mounted for wear, as the adverts say? Could you post a pic, I would be very interested to see them. What are SMFLOK and KLM? Are you 'allowed' to wear these, as I know the UK Gov't can be very sniffy when it comes to foreign medals.

regards

Hi

My medals are with the taylor's at the moment. as for the SMFLOK & KLM. Saudi Medal for Liberation of Kuwait, & Kuwait Liberation Medal. My medal are court mounted not lose. cheers Roy

In NZ the convention is to have your relative's medals mounted in reverse and worn on the right breast, though few people actually know or follow this.

Andy M

A trend here is to have the medals mounted in a frame, with a photo and regimental details of the recipient, and carry that.

Cheers

Kim

Not knowing a lot about this practice of wearing a relatives medals on the right breast, as an observation, I would say Kim (and other aussies also I presume) have come up with as good a method of honouring a relative's achievements, as I can think of.

I wouldnt want to wear medals but I do wear my grandfathers rifle brigade tie...green and black...once a year in November.

Hi All,

What a very interesting thread. It has been my understanding (and I believe it has been written down in a number of official publications) that relatives wear medal on the right side. I have no objection to this convention - indeed if I had thought on I would have given my 15 yr old son my miniatures to wear on 11/11 this year whilst I paraded with my RBL branch wearing the full sized ones. So long as they are worn as a mark of respect and rememberance long live the tradition.

NeilD

Within our group of motley old matelots the accepted way is for any awarded medals to yourself are mounted 'swing style' on the left breast. Any close, deceased, relatives awards may be worn on the right breast as may any foreign awards made to yourself but these will be superior to any relatives awards. These medals are usually 'pinned' and do not 'swing'.

Davie.

Within our group of motley old matelots the accepted way is for any awarded medals to yourself are mounted 'swing style' on the left breast. Any close, deceased, relatives awards may be worn on the right breast as may any foreign awards made to yourself but these will be superior to any relatives awards. These medals are usually 'pinned' and do not 'swing'.

Davie.

I took this picture in ypre last year i clearly shows where a relitives medals are worn.

Dan

post-2583-1137793684.jpg

Personally I'm proud to wear my G-G-Grandfathers WW1 pair on the right, all the time, on my leather jacket - see pic.

I can't see why a relatives medal(s) couldn't be worn all year round and not just 11th November. I've been stopped by a WW2 veteran and asked who's they were not why am I wearing them..... and this was only last week.

Les.

Personally I'm proud to wear my G-G-Grandfathers WW1 pair on the right, all the time, on my leather jacket - see pic.

I can't see why a relatives medal(s) couldn't be worn all year round and not just 11th November. I've been stopped by a WW2 veteran and asked who's they were not why am I wearing them..... and this was only last week.

Good for you, keeps their name alive.

• 1 year later...

In Canada there is a formal notice from the Governor General's website which was researched by "Plan / Pascal" on the CEF Study Group discussion forum and I have re-posted here to add the Canadian perspective. I have added the BOLD text for visibility of the reader.

Borden Battery

==============================================

Here it is, on the Governor General site, last paragraph:

http://www.gg.ca/honours/op/index_e.asp

"Only the insignia of orders, decorations and medals officially awarded under the authority of the Crown or that the wearing of which has been authorized by the Crown may be worn. Only the actual recipient of an honour can wear its insignia; no family member or any person other than the original recipient may wear the insignia of an order, decoration or medal. Insignia that are purchased or otherwise acquired may be used for display purpose only and cannot be worn on the person in any form or manner."

Regards,

Pascal

==============================================

This is the situation in Australia:

Awards made to next-of-kin

A custom has evolved for people to wear the awards of deceased family members when marching in their place at commemorative events such as Anzac Day and Remembrance Day. While no law regulates this practice, the Returned and Services League (RSL) encourages people to wear their forebears medals on the right breast, which indicates the awards are not their own.

It is from the following link:

http://www.itsanhonour.gov.au/honours/awards/wearing.cfm

Glyn

Hi

My medals are with the taylor's at the moment. as for the SMFLOK & KLM. Saudi Medal for Liberation of Kuwait, & Kuwait Liberation Medal. My medal are court mounted not lose. cheers Roy

Both the Saudi and Kuwait liberation medals were Un-Official medals and not santioned for wear by British Service personel. However, when in Civilian clothing after leaving the service.. those two medals if awarded, can if wished, be worn by the recipiant on the right breast.

Seph :)

• 2 years later...

This is from the website, British Armed Forces & National Service

http://www.britisharmedforces.org/other/other_faq.htm#vet

When is OK to wear my relatives medals ?

War medals and service decorations of any sort may be worn only by the person upon whom they were conferred, and in no case does the right to wear war or service medals, or their ribbons, pass to any relative when the recipient is dead. Modifications of the above rule are permitted in connection with Remembrance Day, when relatives who desire to avail themselves, on those days only, of the distinction of wearing the decoration and medals of deceased relatives, they may do so, wearing them ON THE RIGHT BREAST.

Any organisation that shouts at me in CAPS deserves to be completely ignored.

As long as you don't pass yourself off as been awarded the medals what difference does it make?

Mick