7a. New Britain

7b. New Ireland

7c. Kaiser Wilhelmland

7d. Admiralty Islands

7e. Nauru

7f. German Samoa

-------------------------------

Regards - Sue

Sue (or anybody): Can you briefly describe what might have gone on in the "7" Theatre (South Pacific)?? Were these naval encounters, or was there any land (Marines?) action?

Peter (in New Caledonia :) )

Suel,

Am I getting confused ( it goes with old age) your list says " Upto 31/12/1915 1. Western Europe " My Father's M.I.C. shows date entry

1. FRANCE 28th June 1915.

Cliff.

Cliff

My frustrations at trying to type a list in Word without 'auto-format' biting me were great, so I was aiming at brevity!

1. Western Europe, included France, Belgium and Italy, and presumably that is why the numbering was expanded after 1915, to clarify the different areas. I guess for anyone initially going to Italy prior to 31/12/15 the card would say '1. - Italy.'

Or are you suggesting that France wasn't in Western Europe prior to that date? No, I'm joking, honestly :lol:

Sue

Guest stevebec

The places mentioned in area "7" are ex German Colenies in the South Paciffic occupied by allied forces during the war.

Mostly by the AIF in 1914 - 1915 for New Britian, New Ireland and New Guinea.

I am not sure who or when the other places were taken but maybe NZ had something to do with it?

S.B

Steve, were these the kind of "occupations" where the Navy steamed in and sent a boat ashore, whose officer said "Right you lot, haul down that German flag and hoist this Union Jack," or were there some occupations with military action, with shots fired and beach storming-type activity?

Peter

German Samoa was occupied (without a shot) by NZ on 30.08.14 becoming the first Empire troops to set foot on enemy territory.

Nauru was occupied by a naval force from HMAS Melbourne a few days later to capture the German radio station there - unopposed again.

There was opposition and losses in the occupation of New Guinea & the Solomon Islands (6 dead 4 wounded & 31 German/local troops dead).

The NZEF captured Samoa on 29 August 1914 without a shot being fired.

They rowed ashore in rowboats- I've seen a photo, and took over.

12 of my men fom Fiji, who had joined them at Suva, and who were all Legion of Frontiersmen, rushed along to the courthouse and pulled down the German Flag

image that I can't insert!

This is now held in the Auckland War Memorial Museum.

The NZEF had gone to Samoa via New Caledonia and Fiji, where they picked up the Legion of Frontiersmen and 15 Samoans living in Fiji to act as guides etc.

There were no Germans in or around New Caledonia, so nothing would have happened there

PS How do I insert a picture from my computer? Nothing seems to work!

PPS Have now found out. Use the file attachment at bottom of page!

Christine, I don't want to muddy the waters with my reference (tongue-in-cheek) to New Caledonia. You of course know about (French) New Caledonia in the South Pacific. There was a time in the 19th Century, before British Columbia came into existence, when New Caledonia was proposed to be the name of the territory that B.C. now occupies.

I sometimes wonder if I'd rather be a New Caledonian than a British Columbian! :o

Peter

Well, New Caledonia is not really very like "Old" Caledonia, probably BC is more similar!

Then again, New Zealand is not very like Zealand!

Trying again;

German flag captured in Samoa

post-1-1062382562.jpg

The NZEF captured Samoa on 29 August 1914 without a shot being fired.

They rowed ashore in rowboats- I've seen a photo, and took over.

Here's the photo

post-1-1062875676.jpg