Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Crab Crawl Tunnel in Belgium march 1917

andypugh

Hello everyone.

I hope to be going to Belgium this summer with a friend who is retracing the movements of his Gt Gt Uncle,who fought with the 1st cambs.we know where he is buried in Railway Dugouts Cemetery, but we are trying to find the location of Crab Crawl tunnel where he was killed in March 1917.Chris my friend is the first relative to visit the grave since that war.Hope someone can help as this means a lot to him

Best Regards

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Andy

I'm have to send my reply in two posts.

Please see the attached drawing of Crab Crawl Trench.

John

post-1365-1139148549.jpg

Hello John.

What can I say!, except that you are a diamond. Thank you so much. My friend and have looked everywhere to try and find Crab Crawl and have had no luck until now.

Thank you

Andy.

Andy

I forgot to tell you that it is in the Tor Top Tunnel system.

John

Thank you John for solving the Crab Crawl puzzle.

Do you know of a trench map that would contain this information, if so, where would we be able to purchase one ?

Where would we find more information regarding Tor Top? Is it now the site of a Canadian Memorial, as stated on a WW1 web site.

John once again you are comming up with the goods thank you.

I have started another thread on the OTHERS site trying to get further information on history of Tor Top, its exact location ect, there seems to be some confusion of its exact location, and what is actually still there today. Anything else you can come up with would be appreciated john.

Thanks again

Chris and Andy

• 10 years later...
Guest Carl Reavey
On 9 February 2006 at 10:23, chrisreeve said:

Thank you John for solving the Crab Crawl puzzle.

Do you know of a trench map that would contain this information, if so, where would we be able to purchase one ?

Where would we find more information regarding Tor Top? Is it now the site of a Canadian Memorial, as stated on a WW1 web site.

Hello Chris.  We are certainly related but am not sure we have ever met. My brother Ben and I are touring the cemeteries of Flanders this week and hope to visit our great great uncle Sim Reeve later today. Best regards. Carl Reavey.