Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

brassards, armlets, armbands

Muerrisch

Chappers,

no reference work to hand but the coloured bands on the lower left sleeve denote runners, scouts/snipers and blue for signallers.

regards

Mark

Chappers, post number 401 in this thread shows the signallers armband on a jacket.

Any information on the reason for the armbands, and possibly what colour they are would be very welcome and much appreciated

Chappers,

These coloured armbands were 1.5 inches wide, and were worn around the left forearm to denote the soldier was engaged in a particular duty.

Attached is a diagram showing the various colours used, and the particular duty each colour denoted.

Unfortunately, we do not know the colour of the armband your Grandfather is wearing.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-33824400-1421286894_thumb.j

Thank you LF, your info is much appreciated. I would summarize from that that grandfather was indeed a runner for Btn HQ. The time frame fits in with him being Btn Orderly and the reverse of the photographs denotes him as a cyclist.

Any ideas on the upper armband? All I know from the time the photograph was taken, he was part of a bomber team and became an instructor - could there be any connection do you think?

Thank you LF, your info is much appreciated. I would summarize from that that grandfather was indeed a runner for Btn HQ. The time frame fits in with him being Btn Orderly and the reverse of the photographs denotes him as a cyclist.

Any ideas on the upper armband? All I know from the time the photograph was taken, he was part of a bomber team and became an instructor - could there be any connection do you think?

I agree, it is most likely that your Grandfather was a ' Runner ' for Btn. H.Q.

As far as the armband shown in the photo on the left is concerned, hopefully Grumpy or another member will know the answer.

Regards,

LF

He does not know the answer he fears.

A word of caution. Do not assume the arm bands in the photos are dark. Ortho. film of those days infamous for rendering the red/orange/yellow end of the spectrum almost black.

To my eyes the armband he is wearing has distinct narrow edgings in a contrasting colour.

Possibly the khaki thread standing out on a darker cloth?

I would have expect that it is to do with the weave being the.

two edges of the tape. Most common example I can think of is the female half of Velcro,it has a strip on each side for sewing on

John

Edit

Just checked it is called the woven edge of the tape.

I would have expect that it is to do with the weave being the.

two edges of the tape. Most common example I can think of is the female half of Velcro,it has a strip on each side for sewing on

John

Edit

Just checked it is called the woven edge of the tape.

I think the edge stripes are too broad to be woven edges. Also all the arm-bands that I have seen and handled have been either wool felt (the majority), or cotton drill, without 'taped' edges.

Can anyone tell me anything about this brassard please .post-11085-0-61853200-1421682890_thumb.j

No, I certainly can not.

Nice edges I see!

From your exclamation mark, I am not sure if that is a dig at my last comment David? If it is, then it is most misplaced and unfair. What we see there is a stitched down, overlapped seam and not a 'taped edge'. The two are entirely different and that was my meaning.

Certainly not a dig ............ just serendipity to see such edges after edges were a topic of discussion.

I must confess that I had never focussed on other than middles!

Certainly not a dig ............ just serendipity to see such edges after edges were a topic of discussion.

I must confess that I had never focussed on other than middles!

The relevant word was 'taped'.

Right lads, break it up.

Here is a new one that doesn't seem to have been mentioned so far. It is taken from a photograph of a group of officers on a training course. The photograph seems to date from 1918 at the latest as several officers are wearing overseas chevrons. The C.S.M. or is it R.S.M.? has a brassard that is partially hidden but has the following visible: RMY INF HOOL or RMY INT HOOL. I presume that this would read: ARMY INT SCHOOL in its entirety.

post-6480-0-04375200-1421766279_thumb.jp

post-6480-0-70698800-1421766294_thumb.jp

post-6480-0-71444600-1421766305_thumb.jp

The overseas chevrons indicate 1918 at the EARLIEST I think you meant to say? This makes the WO a WO II and CSM or equivalent. I see what may well be a 1914 ribbon on him, which suggests a precisely 1918 dating. One doubts if "schools" were much in vogue after peace broke out and the army began to melt away.

I think you will find it's an Army infantry school, as in '3rd Army Infantry (Inf) Training School'.

The photo looks like one of those 'thank God we survived' numbers.

It could be any of the Army Schools, but here is some interesting media concerning that for the 3rd Army: http://www.europeana1914-1918.eu/en/europeana/record/08622/IWM_104

This should be a classic thread! The information is excellent.

I think you will find it's an Army infantry school, as in '3rd Army Infantry (Inf) Training School'.

The photo looks like one of those 'thank God we survived' numbers.

It could be any of the Army Schools but here is some interesting media concerning that for the 3rd Army: http://www.europeana1914-1918.eu/en/europeana/record/08622/IWM_104

Thank you for posting the link.

I have a name for one of the officers on the course. He served with the 1/15th (County of London) Battalion (Civil Service Rifles) throughout the Great War. However, his marriage certificate dated 10th May 1918 states Lieutenant M.G.C.

This should be a classic thread! The information is excellent.

I would have to heartily concur. The breadth and depth of information on brassards/armlets that Grumpy and co have developed here is superb.

Cheers,

Hendo