Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

brassards, armlets, armbands

Muerrisch

My great-uncle Dusty Miller, with one leg [RA in Great war] did just that in Hove c. 1941.

He had a spare tin leg, kept behind the kitchen door.

RIP Dusty, ARP, late RA.

• 6 months later...

Getting the thread back onto WW1 armbands, I thought Pals may be interested in two held by the AWM from General Monash, the plain read one is his GSO 3 Aust Div one, and the red, white red one is his GSO Australian Corps RELAWM15056.001.jpgRELAWM15056.002.jpg

Cheers,

Hendo

LF ........... what a marvellous posting thank you, made my day.

Is there anything written or stamped inside the band please?

LF ........... what a marvellous posting thank you, made my day.

Is there anything written or stamped inside the band please?

Grumpy,

Pleased you liked it.

I found it on line while I was researching a VAD topic, and not having seen one like it before, I thought it would make a nice addition to your Thread, and one you would want to see.

Regards,

LF

• 2 weeks later...

This Royal Navy instruction on the wearing of their version of the "Derby Scheme" armlet, found on the net, may interest Pals: post-6813-0-31260200-1368398945_thumb.jp

Cheers,

Hendo

This course photo of RFC Observers may be distinct enough to see the officer in the centre wearing a distinctive armlet/brassard which I assume was the RFC brassard.

post-6813-0-30885800-1368399169_thumb.jp

Cheers,

Hendo

• 1 month later...

I will try and post enlisted arm badges prior to getting into khaki for the Hull brigade as of Christmas 1914, from hull brigade Christmas card, when I can get to it- builders in at the moment.

Only part of an Officers' brassard - I believe it to be the 63rd Infantry Brigade 37th Division.......

Does anyone know the relevance of the Blue background etc??

Sepoy

post-55476-0-95871400-1372621843_thumb.j

• 2 months later...

Thank you: looks like SFP was "one size fits all"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It rings a bell with me that SFP was both Street Fire Party and Supplementary Fire Party but at different times during WW2. I have seen reference to "Street/Supplementary Fire Party". I think the change co-incided with the splitting away of the Fire Guards from the ARP and becoming their own service. This is also when the "Fire Guard" brassard changed from yellow lettering on blue to white lettering on blue.

This one of KRRC wearing a wearing a 67th Division Brassard will be of interest.

They are most likely 52nd Graduated Battalion.

regards

John

post-27843-0-49227200-1378810829_thumb.j

Herewith another 'new' one: TCNCO

I have unashamedly nicked the pictures off eBay; and that is because it was bought by a friend of mine.

It was listed as railway Transport Control, NCO - but train brassards I can find were in red; so I wonder if it's more general in its form of transport than that.

It's also not in Joe's GRO list of brassards.

TCNCO1_zps8d706907.jpg

TCNCO3_zps27043ce6.jpg

Cheers,

GT.

TCNCO is strange, looks locally produced ....... one would think TC plus the NCO's ranking would do the trick ..................

I am not disputing it is kosher, just that it is not logical!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

As my first posting in on the Forum, I thought I would start with something of an oddity, to me at least. This armband was worn by a British Officer in the Chota Nagpur Regt (an Auxiliary Forces India, Cavalry unit) circa late 1930/1948. The cypher seems to be of King George VI before Indian Independence. But what is this armband actually for? I wonder if he could have been an Honorary ADC to the Governor or Viceroy or something similar - perhaps even indicating something simpler such as regimental staff officer, but this is just conjecture on my part.

post-102244-0-36417900-1380091034_thumb.

• 1 month later...

This is the IWM's description of the Inland Water Transport brassard:

brassard, British, Inland Water Transport. A rectangular white cloth brassard embroidered in blue with an anchor emblem within oval on centre obverse, complete with two pairs of cotton tape ties stitched to either end.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know the relevance of the Blue background etc??

Sepoy

Brigade: I have both an SC (Staff Captain) and a BM (Brigade Major) on this background. Plain blue was just 'Infantry Brigade' with, one assumes, it being liable to being overlaid as necessary. That this is so is confirmed by a General Routine Order to Jan 1918.

Cheers,

GT.

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone on this thread. I found it trying to find an example of a Derby Scheme armband for our WW1 local history project -and I have succeeded :D Thank you Chief_Chum.

Brigade: I have both an SC (Staff Captain) and a BM (Brigade Major) on this background. Plain blue was just 'Infantry Brigade' with, one assumes, it being liable to being overlaid as necessary. That this is so is confirmed by a General Routine Order to Jan 1918.

Cheers,

GT.

I would like to second Grovetown on this point.

Herewith another 'new' one: TCNCO

I have unashamedly nicked the pictures off eBay; and that is because it was bought by a friend of mine.

It was listed as railway Transport Control, NCO - but train brassards I can find were in red; so I wonder if it's more general in its form of transport than that.

It's also not in Joe's GRO list of brassards.

Cheers,

GT.

Could it possibly be "Traffic Control" rather than "Transport Control" essentially the same meaning though I am thinking it terms of the more recent "Movement Control Officers and NCO's". As in an NCO who assists in managing all types of "Traffic" movement and control.

Cheers

Hendo

Quite possibly, but hard to say Hendo: we're only going by the eBay description - which, of itself, means nothing.

Couldn't find anything quite like it in Joe and Grumpy's list; yet it seems very much the part.

Cheers,

GT.

Hi,

It doesn't show up too well but the armband being worn has the word TRAFFIC on it.

Also he wears a 17th Div patch at the top of the sleeve and a Brigade/Battalion patch below it.

regards

John

post-27843-0-65955400-1398359499_thumb.j

• 4 months later...

The metal insignia looks like British police shoulder numerals, though why they should be on a leather armband (wristband?) I don't know.

• 4 months later...

I would be very grateful for any help in the identification of the armbands worn by my grandfather as per the two attached images. I have read through the thread but did not find an obvious answer to my query and am amazed at the actual number of armbands that were in use.

Photo 01 – taken before he was awarded his good conduct stripe, and showing the armband on the upper arm.

Photo 02 – taken after award of good conduct stripe and showing the armband above it with what looks like a different coloured thin line up and bottom.

I can see no identifying lettering on either band on zooming. I believe the good conduct stripe was awarded at the 2-2.5 year service point dating the first photograph to before summer 1917 and the second photograph after summer 1917.

Unfortunately, his service record did not survive but from documents he kept we know the following:

Volunteered 15 March 1915 – 1/4th Battalion Suffolk Regiment

Mobilised to France January 1916

Bomber 1916 (four grenade courses, 1st Class Cert Instructor)

Battalion orderly – August 1917 to January 1919

Officer’s Servant – February 1919 to October 1919

Additionally there is reference to him being a Cyclist, and later photographs also show him wearing riding breeches. Could the armbands therefore relate his positions as Battalion Orderly and Officer’s Servant? Could he have been a cyclist while working as Battalion Orderly and could this come under the definition of a ‘runner’? I was once told that as an Officer’s Servant he would have accompanied his Officer everywhere, both of them on horseback, hence the riding breeches.

Any information on the reason for the armbands, and possibly what colour they are would be very welcome and much appreciated.

post-115532-0-34893700-1421212102_thumb.post-115532-0-09177200-1421212113_thumb.

Regards.

Chappers