Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

brassards, armlets, armbands

Muerrisch

Further to my post #271, showing a British soldier in 1915 wearing a brassard identifying him as a POW instead of having a strip of material sewn into his sleeve - I've come across another example which appears to confirm that this was done in at least the early part of the war. The photo is actually of a rather home-sick Belgian soldier at a mixed POW camp, and it shows a strip of material being worn as a brassard and secured with a safety-pin. If he wore this device then I think it's probably a pretty safe bet that the British prisoners at the same camp did as well. Note the bullet worn as a fob on his watch-chain! As an aside, if anyone knows anything about his uniform then I'd be interested to know.

post-55685-0-08019500-1423480909_thumb.j

Here's a cadet at an OCB in 1917 (the photographer is from Glasgow, so I'm assuming that it's Gailes Camp), he's wearing a plain brassard. I have no idea what it's for - the photo is of a group of cadets and he's the only one wearing a brassard, so perhaps he was some sort of squad leader?

post-55685-0-62887200-1423481069_thumb.j

Here's another variation on the Red Cross brassard, this time being worn by some members of BRCS in France during 1918 - it is a standard white brassard, but with a dark (presumably red?) stripe running parallel to the upper and lower margins of the brassard):

post-55685-0-80303400-1423669500_thumb.j

Incidentally, I don't know if it's visible on this scan, but most Red Cross brassards appear to have some sort of circular stamp towards the inner margin of the arm-band (maybe some sort of 'authentification'?). Does anyone know what this is? (alternatively, does anyone recognize what I'm talking about?!).

Are you thinking of the Royal Defence Corps, who wore SD and general service cap badges. The VTC morphed into the WW1 VB's and wore the insignia of their regular parent regiments.

Further to my previous post, I understood (although I'd welcome any correction on this point) that the VB's themselves were part of a newly-created 'Volunteer Force'. This is an example of a VF (rather than an RDC) officer wearing officer-style SD and a GS cap-badge and buttons (note the 'V' collar-badges) in place of the old style VTC uniform:

post-55685-0-51907900-1423669846_thumb.j

I'll post a couple of examples of VF OR's in SD. OR's didn't use the 'V' collar-badges.

Regarding authentication, yes, genuine Geneva Cross armbands did/do have an authentication. My example in the [very cold] attic certainly has a circular one.

Coloured armbands were used in a lot of hospitals to signify the different and progressive stages of recovery by the wounded and if that is the case here it must signify the final stage before discharge, as the men are not wearing hospital blue. I suppose they might also have been orderlies, but as one is a WOII that seems less likely. Armlets were also used when the men in hospital blue wore greatcoats in cold weather.

1. Disabled men. White brassard with a red crown;

Brassard-CovalescentOfficers.jpg

2. Discharged soldiers in hospital. Red, white and blue stripes arr. horizontally (a la Dutch flag);

3. Dysentry Hospital. Red;

4. Convalescent patients. Green.

Cheers,

GT.

Regarding authentication, yes, genuine Geneva Cross armbands did/do have an authentication. My example in the [very cold] attic certainly has a circular one.

Thanks for confirming. Can we look forward to seeing a pic of your RX armband when the weather gets a bit warmer......? :thumbsup:

2. Discharged soldiers in hospital. Red, white and blue stripes arr. horizontally (a la Dutch flag);

GT; Many thanks for posting this - it helps to clear up some questions that I had. Interesting to note that dysentry patients were identified in this way....! I hadn't realized that there were separate dysentry hospitals.

So, I take it that the brassards seen on the sleeves of convalescents' greatcoats were green.

• 1 month later...

Cheers,

GT.

That's interesting GT thanks. From what I have read there does not seem to have been an agreed universal system, which led to hospitals making their own arrangements.

Further to my previous post, I understood (although I'd welcome any correction on this point) that the VB's themselves were part of a newly-created 'Volunteer Force'. This is an example of a VF (rather than an RDC) officer wearing officer-style SD and a GS cap-badge and buttons (note the 'V' collar-badges) in place of the old style VTC uniform:

two.jpg

I'll post a couple of examples of VF OR's in SD. OR's didn't use the 'V' collar-badges.

I understood from forum member Graham Stewart that the VF was formed from the VTC and that eventually (reluctantly), in 1918, the war office took on the VF as 'volunteer battalions' (almost pre-1881 style) of local regular line regiments, with that regiment's insignia being worn.

• 1 year later...

Sealed pattern Traffic Control Post Armlet. 1917 - 1921. 

A rare example from the collection. Apparently this armlet was not an "individual issue" item but held at the TCPs.  The pattern was sealed on 3/11/17 and made "obsolete" on 7/4/21.

I have never seen another example.

Traffic%20Armband%201917-21-1.jpg

Traffic%20Armband%201917-21-2.jpg

Traffic%20Armband%201917-21-3.jpg

14808869_1771162469791580_1014628833_o.j

Edited by Toby Brayley

I must admit, had the sealed pattern label not have been attached I would have assumed this was of much later origin. 

From the archive. The only photograph and reference that we have of a Military Mounted Police Armlet - instead of the usual MP armlet. 

MMP%20Group%20with%20MMP%20Armband%20wat

• 1 month later...

Discovered in the archive.

Another image of the Military Mounted Police armlet, this time in Egypt 1919. 

MMP%20Alexandria%201914.jpg

On 09/02/2015 at 11:24, headgardener said:

Here's a cadet at an OCB in 1917 (the photographer is from Glasgow, so I'm assuming that it's Gailes Camp), he's wearing a plain brassard. I have no idea what it's for - the photo is of a group of cadets and he's the only one wearing a brassard, so perhaps he was some sort of squad leader?

Yes, I think that he is a squad leader.

On 24/10/2016 at 14:06, Toby Brayley said:

From the archive. The only photograph and reference that we have of a Military Mounted Police Armlet - instead of the usual MP armlet. 

Thanks for posting Toby.  Very interesting to see such rare brassards.

1 hour ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Could it not simply be a mourning band ?

No, I believe not.  There were and still are strict regulations for the wearing of official mourning bands with uniform.  Also, all officers would wear them (black silk crepe) as a 'uniform' item for a mourning of a specific personage.  There is strong evidence that when off parade soldiers were indulged in the wearing of mourning buttons, which was an old custom from the Victorian era.  There is no such evidence of officers being permitted the crepe bands for family members, or friends.

Officer cadets were and still are grouped for instruction in squads, or syndicates (the latter at staff colleges), and an individual cadet, or student placed in charge with the responsibility of making sure that all students arrive at the right time, in the right place, with the right equipment/dress. It has long been a British Army tradition that the individual selected as the leader (who often changed weekly) wear some identifying feature (less common in more recent years) that was more often than not an armband.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this thread.   

Many believe the red on black armlet of the Military Police was standard throughout the War. My research indicates It was not until mid-1915 that the familiar red on black armlet was issued. The first known Sealed Pattern example, 8429/1915, was sealed on the 12th July 1915. It is described as “Armlet Expeditionary Force” which suggests that this design came about as a requirement for the BEF.  Like most armlets of the period it has a small buckle closure. There are various sealed patterns of similar, almost identical armlets post 1915; all have various buckle methods of closure and styles of lettering. The differences would not be noticeable on photographs. Sealed Pattern 8429/1915 was rendered obsolete in 1917 but the style is clearly evident during post-war service with BAOR. 

5a72feee04821_1arm.jpg.9bf762a25425ffcb83885f227d8ccf7b.jpg5a72ff019f28b_2arm.jpg.5d1070b9c3d52429bb6029178d0cff47.jpg

BELOW: In 1911 a new black on red Military Police armlet was introduced by Sealed Pattern no 7410. The band was of worsted wool, 16 inches long  2.25 inches long and worn on the right arm, not on the cuff like the previous MMP/MFP armlet.  I believe this, and the earlier black on white versions are the style of armlet that the Military Police of the British Expeditionary Force would have worn on duty for the first years of the war. Although declared obsolete in 1916, and replaced by the familiar red on black armlet,  photographic evidence of it in use as late as 1918 exist. 

red.jpg.f438204eb4fa421b0d4accaf5b267597.jpg

Below:  Black on Red Armlet still in use in 1916 and 1918 (still with coloured peaked forage cap).

1916.jpg.e7bc1e365351863a36d391adb8ceeb6c.jpg  1918.jpg.72170a63225558b79c5df25f244868a2.jpg

Below: Also worn concurrently was the early MMP/MFP black on white armlet. First use of this are seen in the Anglo Egyptian war of 1882.  The below image indicates they were still in wear as late as 1915 (dated by the use of simplified S.D) with the MFP. I believe this is abroad as Pistol Cases are being worn and this is seldom heard of in the UK.  It also provides us with a great study of various other types of Regimental and Garrison Police Armlets. 

5a7301bb7a48d_MFPArmletsFrance1915.jpg.a4cb32bbd445eb9c71246beebb4f48cc.jpg

JAN_3362.JPG.67a2ca07f89525c6cfc8788609c54e61.JPG

JAN_3363.JPG.0824ba83f395136ef42e4c5b9bc969dc.JPG

Edited by Toby Brayley

27 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

Toby, that is stupendous, thank you. And a Grenadier Guards RSM in the bargain for the eagle-eyed.

No problem.  Again the eagle-eyed will also spot that most of the MFP still wear the Edward VII cap badges, a very common practice during the War especially with the senior NCOs. 

Useful post Toby, many thanks.

Town Major Armlet.  Mentioned in the thread, but not illustrated. Note the similarity of construction and font to that in post 289. 

More info from LLT on the Role of Town Majors. 

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/definitions-of-units/what-was-a-town-major/

TM1.jpg

TM2.jpg

How about these brassards worn low down above the left wrist?

I believe they are 46th Division instructors - the brassards read ?M, PS and a chap in the back row has a G.

Your help would be appreciated.5a8330945ffd2_WW1Div46NthMids.jpg.d7eb044c90904711fb5cbdda3ccf18bd.jpg

I wholly concur with Muerrisch’s assessment.  Bear in mind that there was no fully integrated corps of military police at that time.

Thank you both for your help. At this time, I assume they would have just policed the camp and the men in it and would not have had any wider jurisdiction?