Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Unwilling Passenger"

ianw

I have not heard of this book before but a rather expensive copy has appeared on Ebay. There are no other copies on Bookfinder. I think the book is the memoirs of an RAMC doctor from 1914 & 1915. I will certainly try to get a library copy. If anyone has read it, I would welcome their opinions.

He is very good on 1914 actions, especially the Aisne. Like many WW1 books, I have not read it in its entirety, but homed-in the section that was relevent to my current interests. However, the Aisne did seem a representative episode of a very good read.

• 12 years later...

Watched a first edition copy of this rare memoir sell for under £25 today on e-bay ( 2 bidders ) .The dealers want from between £200 / £300

each for the two second edition copies currently for sale on line and it is one of the few classic memoirs yet to be brought out as a cheap reprint.

This has just reinforced my belief that the people who are interested in this kind of book are very few and far between . This is a shame

because one of the main ways we can have any idea of what these men went through is by reading what they wrote about their experiences.

Osburn's book is refreshingly informative on many unspoken areas not covered by others- suicide in the trenches, etc. He was also involved in the Le Cateau debacle of 1914. I found the book rather modern in outlook- Osburn is very good,as a doctor, on human nature. Even he can be a bit oblique (homosexuality,for instance) but it's a cut above many other memoirs.

yep saw that on E bay very fortunately managed to get a copy from Amazon for £10.00 a few months ago when all other copies seemed to be 200.00 plus everything comes to those that wait, slightly aside a set of unnamed photographs { bout 20} sold for 128.00 a few days ago they have now reappeared at 145.00 each !! there are certainly some shall we say very overoptimistic individuals out there!!

1 hour ago, barkalotloudly said:

yep saw that on E bay very fortunately managed to get a copy from Amazon for £10.00 a few months ago when all other copies seemed to be 200.00 plus everything comes to those that wait, slightly aside a set of unnamed photographs { bout 20} sold for 128.00 a few days ago they have now reappeared at 145.00 each !! there are certainly some shall we say very overoptimistic individuals out there!!

I expect they must believe in your saying about  'everything comes to those who wait ' . Unfortunately it sounds like they may be waiting a very long time .

It also shows how infrequently reasonable priced copies turn up , if you've only recently managed to acquire one. I was lucky enough to get my first edition

jacketed copy from Canada for about £30 ,mind you that was back in 2001 ! 

696380440_unwillingpassengerforum.jpeg.d3448bcc40cdc43bcdc603123a9dee22.jpeg

Edited by Black Maria

Osburn's book is refreshingly informative on many unspoken areas not covered by others- suicide in the trenches, etc. He was also involved in the Le Cateau debacle of 1914. I found the book rather modern in outlook- Osburn is very good,as a doctor, on human nature. Even he can be a bit oblique (homosexuality,for instance) but it's a cut above many other memoirs.

I agree , it's a while ago since I read it but it's certainly one of my favourites and a  'must read ' I would have thought for anyone interested , like me,

in the early months of the war on the Western Front.

Out of interest I've just looked up in an old Turner/Donovan catalogue and I see that an unjacketed near fine copy of the first edition

was £65 back in 2003 .

17B0B913-9BBC-4C63-B09C-1D9A62BC1BFE.png.eb920461b3af4fd5b11f853812596e45.png

sadly I only have this 2nd edition. I wonder why the colour change?

58 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

sadly I only have this 2nd edition. I wonder why the colour change?

Still a very nice book to have . I suppose it was just to differentiate between the two editions , although it looks like most

people just threw the wrappers in the bin judging by their rarity .

I've got the same one as you DJC in a fairly good jacket!

This is Osburn's own copy of the Second Edition which, according to a note on the inside cover, he had re-bound in 1943 in Barbados (in lizard- or snake-skin).

Osburn-1.jpg

Osburn-2.jpg

3 hours ago, Resurgam13 said:

This is Osburn's own copy of the Second Edition which, according to a note on the inside cover, he had re-bound in 1943 in Barbados (in lizard- or snake-skin).

Nice !

Clearly he found the first edition as hard to find as the rest of us.

It sounds interesting, but it's out of my price range!

Abe Books have one for £220 with free shipping, whilst Amazon are selling one for £517 plus £2.80 Delivery.

30 minutes ago, The Scorer said:

It sounds interesting, but it's out of my price range!

Abe Books have one for £220 with free shipping, whilst Amazon are selling one for £517 plus £2.80 Delivery.

perhaps both the same book? just well known "seller" who does not even own the book trying to make a rather large buck!

1 minute ago, barkalotloudly said:

perhaps both the same book? just well known "seller" who does not even own the book trying to make a rather large buck!

I don't think so, as the seller is different in both cases.

22 minutes ago, The Scorer said:

I don't think so, as the seller is different in both cases.

The one on Amazon is the same book . They are a dropshipper , they don't actually have the book but get the ABE seller to send it to you

if you buy it from them  . Sometimes it does pay to shop around !

Edited by Black Maria

3 hours ago, The Scorer said:

Ah, okay, thanks - I'm still not tempted, even at the lower price!!

I don't think many people will be , especially as only two people were interested in the e-bay copy at a starting price of £20.