Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sqt Mattinson 12 D.T.C. RASE, Drill Hall Eckington

AmisUK

My uncle has just handed some papers for me to look at tonight and among them was an old picture postcard.

Does anyone recognise Sqt Mattinson 12 D.T.C. RASE, Drill Hall Eckington (possibly Near Sheffield?)

It's written in my Grandfather's handwritting on the back of the picture postcard (He was in the R.F.C. although I haven't found any details on his career so far).

The picture is of a man standing in a camp with tents around him, holding a rifle in boots, trousers, shirt and helmet. On the front written in pen is "Englands only Hope".

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Paul

My drill hall databasetells me that Eckington was in Derbyshire, and home to a section of B Company 6th Battalion Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby) as well as a section of 'A' Sqn Derbyshire Yeomanry.

Regards

Graeme

Thanks Graeme,

I wonder why that was in my grandfathers documents, as he was from Lowestoft, Suffolk, and in the Royal Flying Corps. during the war.

I gather the Sqt Mattinson is the name of the person on the picture?

Regards

Paul

Based on the location and regiments suggested, could be one of these three men. Can you upload the picture, maybe the uniform will tell us more.

Medal card of Mattinson, Thomas A

Corps: Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment

Regiment No: 106847

Medal card of Mattinson, Sydney

Corps: Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment

Regiment No: 2910

Medal card of Mattinson, Leonard D

Corps: Derby Yeomanry

Regiment No: 1906

regards

Phil

Please find attached both the front and back images of the postcard, hopefully it will help in identifying the person, and why it would be in my grandfather's paperwork.

Regards

Paul

post-5456-1137158460.jpg

post-5456-1137158526.jpg

Paul,

Not sure what 12 D.T.C. is but the second part isn't RASE, but actually RASC, which means Royal Army Service Corps. This Corps didn't actually receive the title "Royal" until after the Great War, so I would take the card to have been written post-WWI.

Graham.

Thanks Graham,

It looks like it could remain a bit of a mystery then... unfortunately my grandfather died when I was very young (1976 at the age of 78), so the only person who knew for sure has passed on.

Regards

Paul