Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps

themonsstar

• 5 months later...
Richard, So many names are coming into this string that I am getting a little confused. Are you saying that the Milton researchers are thinking that Mary McLachlan Blaikley, QMAAC. is the Canadian link and that she also went under the name of Paterson? Now that you have put forward the suggestion that she may have been nursing I can put forward another candidate. The York Minster panels have a section called "Auxiliary Hospitals". The listing of women under this heading is short of detail and a devil to research. I had always thought that these women were unskilled nurses doing the very basic work in hospitals or perhaps on the clerical side. But there is a name there in D.M. Paterson. Could this be the Mary Paterson mentioned with her going by her second name?

Thanks Jim, I had missed this post. The Mary Paterson I was hunting for was to have been one of the workers killed in the May 30, 1918 bombing. In my mind now I have very little doubt that the person they think was Mary Paterson was in fact Mary Blaikley. Back in 1918 I think the papers just assumed she was the daughter of Private Paterson from Milton, Ontario but in fact she is never referred to by the name "Paterson". It is always "daughter" or "Mary". I do think that Private Paterson's wife was in Elizabeth Blaikley, the mother of the illegitimate daughter Mary Blaikley. Whether Private John Paterson was the father or not has not yet been determined. He may have met and/or married Elizabeth after the conception of Mary. Actually I have yet to find a resource to tell me if John Paterson's wife was named Elizabeth but I should be able to find that information in Ancestry.com or a similar site. Have to find a friend who is a paying member to do me a Look-UP?

I have completed my report on the matter of Nurse Worker Mary Paterson. I am more or less convinced that the person was in fact Mary Blaikley and that Mary Paterson never existed and certainly was never in Canada. As such, she should not be on a Great War Memorial or Cenotaph in Canada.

I prepared this report so that I can submit it to our local Legion Branch, as they decide what changes (if any) are made to the cenotaph. I would appreciate any reviews of this document, as I would rather face it here on the GWF and/or the CEFSG rather than later at the Legion!

The document is here:

Mary Paterson Report PDF

Thanks to all CEFSG and GWF members who have assisted me in this hunt for factual evidence.

Richard

I, too, have come to the conclusion that Mary Paterson has been assumed to be the daughter of Private Paterson when in fact she was the illigitimate daughter of his wife. There is no evidence seen that she was adopted or that she assumed her step-fathers name. At a stretch she could go on the Milton Cenotaph as Mary Blaikley but her connection with Canada is so tenuous, and she almost certainly never set foot in the country, that she would better to be omitted. She is, afterall, remembered on Gartcosh War Memorial (her home town).

She is, afterall, remembered on Gartcosh War Memorial (her home town).

Thank you for that confirmation Jim, as I have been asked here by the Canadian memorial people if Mary Blaikley is commemorated on any other memorial. Does anyone know if there is a photograph of the memorial showing her name, or if not some formal document that I could use in my report?

Just my luck that it appears Gartcosh is just on the fringe of the high resolution Google Earth - if this is the correct place?

55°53'15.94"N 4° 5'2.25"W

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Hi

I trying to see if anyone has any more info on this lady Margaret Selina Caswell No 15703. KIA at Abbeville on 30/5/18 with 7 other Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps Lady's in a bombing raid ? Cheers Roy

Hi Roy

I'm Margaret's great niece and see you have been researching her story in the past. Are you related? Family history has always told her story and how her mother reacted to the terrible news.

Irene Caswell

No4

St Boniface Church Chandlers Ford with Margaret Caswell QMAAC

Hi

I would dearly love to have copies of the images you mention here. Margaret was my Great Aunt. Her mother my Great Grand Mother.

Best regards

Irene Caswell

Richard

Mary McLachlan Blaikley, QMAAC. She was the grand-daughter of James Blaikley of Glasgow. Cannot see a Canadian connection.

Margaret Selina Caswell, QMAAC. Daughter of Frederick Caswell of Chandler's Ford. Cannot see a Canadian connection.

Ethel Frances Mary Parker, QMAAC. Daughter of William Carter of Canterbury. Cannot see a Canadian connection.

That is the only Mary's from this bombing. However around the same time there was a bombing on 3 Canadian Stationary Hospital, Doullens where three Canadian nursing sisters (Baldwin, MacPherson and Pringle) and two doctors were killed.

Dorothy Mary Baldwin Baldwin, CAMC. Daughter of W.Y. Baldwin of Ontario, Canada.

I had already thought that Paterson could have been a married name but discounted it as most unlikely. I also haven't quite got my head around why a woman with a Canadian background should be in the QMAAC. The members of the QMAAC were engaged mostly in domestic work and came from the working classes. She could have come over from Canada to help in the war effort but to do so she must have had money available to have made the trip. So family money in Canada would more likely to have seen her join the VAD which drew many of their members from the middle classes. But this is all supposition and we really need to get back to how the Milton Cenotaph people were persuaded to add her name.

[/q

Hi

Oh yes, Margaret Caswell came from good working class stock and was part of a large hardworking family. Strangely, her younger sister was in no doubts at all that Margaret was a nurse in the Q.M.A.A.C. Her younger brother Charlie was a farm labourer in Churt - possibly on Lloyd George's Estate - and married a local girl Mabel who was in service on the Estate around 1922-24.

I'm intrigued as to why there's so much interest in Margaret and the others who sadly lost their lives in this was. Was it unusual or were the first women to die at the hands of the enemy or in the front line?

Regards

Irene Caswell

Re Margaret Selina Caswell

Hi everyone,

We hold her casualty plaque, victory medal, prnted scroll, portrait photo and modern photo of her grave as part of the former WRAC Museum collection; she also featured in our "finding the Fallen" exhibition a couple of years ago.

Regards

Simon Moody

That is at the National Army Museum Chelsea! :blush:

Dear Simon

This discovery is really starting to become emotional for me. As you seem to hold a great deal of my Great Aunt's records are you able to confirm whether she was in fact a waitress or a nurse? Her sister was always perfectly sure she was nursing out there and it was she who had the medal until a few years back, until giving it to a museum, although she didn't mention which one. I'm so happy to know now and will visit the NAM sometime soon.

My sister and I have always found Margaret's story fascinating but had no idea other people did too.

Best regards

Irene Caswell

• 11 months later...

Hello

My name is Irene Caswell and Margaret Selina was my Great Aunt. I have other images but would dearly love to see a photograph of Green Cross Farm. Margaret was from a large family and her two brothers also served in WWI and both survived. Their mother, my great grandmother - was naturally distraught at the news of the demise of her first born.

Many thanks and hope that you're still active on this web site.

Regards

Irene

No5

Green Cross Cottage / Green Cross Farm Churt Surrey

Hello

My name is Irene Caswell and Margaret Selina was my Great Aunt. I have other images but would dearly love to see a photograph of Green Cross Farm. Margaret was from a large family and her two brothers also served in WWI and both survived. Their mother, my great grandmother - was naturally distraught at the news of the demise of her first born.

Regards

Irene

Irene, Have you a photograph of Margaret that I might use in my Register of WW1 serving female casualties ? Jim

• 5 years later...
On 05/11/2007 at 19:55, bobbyjoehill said:

Out of curiosity how many women served in the QMAAC?

De 1915 à la fin de WW1, 91000 dames ont servi, 91 sont décédées en service, 9 à Abbeville, Somme, France, au cours de la nuit du 29 au 30 mai 1918. le lieu exact de leur cantonnement de l'époque (1918) se situe à Abbeville, quartier de Mautort, en rive sud de la route des Polonais (appellation actuelle) entre la route de Moyenneville et la rocade de l'autoroute A28. Leur campement jouxtait une hôpital vétérinaire, l'un des plus importants du Nord de la France à cette époque. Trois lieux de la région (Abbeville, Doullens, Etaples) ont fait l'objet du même type de bombardement aérien allemand contre des installations sanitaires Alliées. Les 9 tombes des volontaires féminines Britanniques sont alignées dans le cimetière militaire du Commonwealth de "Notre Dame de La Chapelle". Depuis 2010, leur histoire est contée aux jeunes des écoles de la ville d'Abbeville. La photo montre le défilé de volontaires féminines, à Abbeville, le jour des obsèques... 

02 retro 18 30.jpg

On 23/11/2010 at 16:04, Cassi said:

Hello

Regards

Irene

Bonjour, depuis 2010, le Souvenir Français, la ville d'Abbeville et la Croix Rouge, organisent une visite des plaines militaires du cimetière de La Chapelle à Abbeville pour les enfants des écoles de la ville. Je vous joins une photo montrant un hommage rendu aux volontaires féminines, décédées le 30 mai 1918, dont votre aïeule. Leur histoire leur est contée afin que nul n'oublie leur sacrifice. Sur la photo vous avez des personnalités, des élèves infirmières de l'hôpital d'Abbeville, des représentants d'associations patriotiques. La tombe de votre aïeule est celle située le plus à droite sur la photo... Cordialement....

réduction de hommage 30mai03.jpg

On 23/11/2009 at 19:10, Cassi said:

Hi

I would dearly love to have copies of the images you mention here. Margaret was my Great Aunt. Her mother my Great Grand Mother.

Best regards

Irene Caswell

Hi Irene,

Cette photo montre l'intérêt des auditeurs et auditrices lors de la présentation des sépultures, dont celle de votre aïeule. Le Maire de la ville s'était joint à cette visite. J'apparais sur la photo à côté du porte drapeau de la "Croix Rouge". Je me fais accompagner d'un drapeau lors de chaque visite... Afin de rendre hommage, respectueusement, aux défuntes... 

Cordialement,

006.JPG

On 23/11/2010 at 16:04, Cassi said:

Hello

Regards

Irene

Bonjour, Le Comité d'Entente des Anciens Combattants d'Abbeville, dont je suis le président, tient à organiser, le mercredi 30 mai 2018, une cérémonie en hommage aux volontaires féminines, venues soutenir l'effort de guerre en France, et malheureusement tuées en service. Si des membres de leurs familles désirent s'y joindre, nous serons heureux de les accueillir. Nous avons déjà pris contact avec la représentante de la "Royal British Legion" en France, Madame Isabella Blake afin d'y associer nos amis Britanniques. Cordialement,

André

On 15/01/2006 at 16:10, themonsstar said:

No2

Some of the WAACs tending graves of fallen soldiers in a cemetery at Abbeville, 9 Feb 1919

Hi, i don't have this reference.

I have : 1919/03/13, MOORE Beatrice, 21 years old from London, Number 2199.

Grave : V G 30 (Plaine Haute du Cimetière de La Chapelle à Abbeville 80100 SOMME France)

Kind regards... 

André

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

Le 14 février 1919, WALCROFT Kitty, née le 13/11/1894 à Maidenhead, est décédée à l'hôpital d'Abbeville 80100 Somme France. Elle faisait partie du QMAAC.

Cordialement,

André

Bonjour,

Le 16/11/1918, O'NEIL Teresa, de Ballyrussel, Cloyne, Foreworker du QMAAC, est décédée à Abbeville, 80100, Somme, France.

Cordialement,

André

Bonjour,

Pour Members 2,

La sépulture de WALCROFT Kitty est référencée V F 36 dans le cimetière du Commonwealth d'Abbeville. 

Cordialement..;

André

• 1 year later...

I had a look at the Coming Home exhibition in Inverness yesterday, before it moves off in its travels around the Highlands.

I had not realised that one of the Scottish Women's Hospitals was from Fort WIlliam (Edith Mabel MacKenzie), I mentioned this a couple of people who also did not know but told me of another member (Evelina Haverfield) and also Lila Davy of the QMAAC.  Lila Davy's "extensive diaries" were apparently serialised in the local Braes magazine some years ago.

On 15/01/2006 at 16:10, themonsstar said:

No2

Some of the WAACs tending graves of fallen soldiers in a cemetery at Abbeville, 9 Feb 1919

Hi, 

WALCROFT Kitty, born 13/11/1894 (Maidenhead), died 1919 feb 14, in Abbeville Hospital...

Marsouin 80 (Le Souvenir Français, Abbeville Somme). 

On 04/11/2007 at 22:07, Chris Noble said:

Remembered with honour.

Abbeville.

Kindest regards,

Chris.

post-47-1194210409.jpg

Hi, 

Margaret Selina Caswell, died in Mautort, Abbeville, Somme, the 1918 may 30, during air raid bombing with 8 other QMAAC volunteers... 

Marsouin 80 (Le Souvenir Français, Abbeville, Somme)

On 11/04/2008 at 17:05, laughton said:

Thank you for that confirmation Jim, as I have been asked here by the Canadian memorial people if Mary Blaikley is commemorated on any other memorial. Does anyone know if there is a photograph of the memorial showing her name, or if not some formal document that I could use in my report?

Just my luck that it appears Gartcosh is just on the fringe of the high resolution Google Earth - if this is the correct place?

55°53'15.94"N 4° 5'2.25"W

blaikley P5230062.JPG