Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt Hallam Trapnell 1/4th Gloucestershire Regt

Mark Trapnell

Have managed to trace some activity through War Diaries, but he was then wounded 2 June 1915. He was promoted to Captain 30 April 1917 the same day as in the Army lists he is down as being "Empld" (which I took to mean Employed) by "RE" (I guess Royal Engineers). I know he was studying Chemistry before the war at Cambridge and I suspect he was in a Gas Defence training unit in the RE.

How can I find more info on this unit and some listing of him/where he was billetted and dates?

(and if anyone has more info on 1/4th (City of Bristol) Gloucestershire Regt from 16 Aug 1914 until 30 April 1917 apart from War diaries I would be grateful!)

Many thanks :blink:

Mark T

• 14 years later...

Hi Mark, 

14 years on, however Hallam was the Great Grandson of my 3rd Great Grandmother's sister (Elizabeth Davis). 

Would be interested in photos of him and his brother Eliot should such things exist!

Rgds

Tim 

Your lucky day BB.....Hope this helps...courtesy of The British Newspaper Archive. 

Screenshot_20200322-113049.jpg

Edited by sadbrewer

Dear All,

There is an Image of the then Lt H. Trapnell in an officer Group of 3/4 Gloucester Regiment, December 1915: page 50, of "Gallantry Awards to the Gloucestershire Regiment 1914-1918 by Peter R. Littlewood, MBE (Spink, 2005).

I have not scanned it because of possible Copyright, etc. Other officers shown in the (relatively poor quality) picture:-

2Lts R. Lowe, J. W. Pooley, N. Thacker, A. C. Stevenson, Lt H. Trapnell, 2Lts E. M. Mathews, R. H. Chattock, Lt F. W. Ward, 2Lts H. Merrick, W. G. Shipway, A. W. Haywood, A. H. Edmonds, C. H. Pritchard, P. Bird, C. T. Thomas, LtT. H. Harrison, Capts C. Neale, W. G. Heal, Lt-Col J. B. Butler, TD, Lt H. Rummins, Capts T. N. Whitewell, H. E. Tee.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Thanks Guys,

Appreciated. 

The picture Kim refers to was published in the Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic dated 25 Dec 1915. I have attached the full page from my copy that shows a group of named Sergeants as well. The 2nd photo is a double page from the same edition that shows the A,B & C companies of the 3/4th Battalion at Charlton Park, Charlton Kings.

Dave

1915 12_15.jpg

1915 12_14.jpg

Dear Dave,

Good work!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Brilliant Dave,

Should have known you'd pop up! I've sent you a PM on another topic. 

Tim