Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SERVICE REVOLVERS

Guest FRANKBARTHOLOMEW

Guest FRANKBARTHOLOMEW

Okay, this is going to sound a bit odd:

I was recently watching Blackadder Goes Forth, and I noticed that Captain Darling holds his revolver in his right hand, even though he is left handed. Is this because Service Revolvers were designed for right-handers, and not for lefties such as myself?

I think that is the case, as I was recently having a go at target practice at my brother-in-law's parents' farm- and even though I am left-handed, could only fire the air rifle properly right-handed.

Odd I know, but it's just out of interest.

Frank Bartholomew

BRECHIN

Angus

Frank

My experience with Service revolvers leaves me to think it didn't matter if you were a left hander. The grips were not specifically designed for one hand or the other. Loading revolvers can be done with either hand, and the cartridge is not expelled in the same manner as a rifle or pistol.

Captain Darling may well have been ambidextrous of course.

Garth

I agree with Garth - it doesn't matter which hand you use to aim and fire, and you have to use both hands to "break" the revolver and expel used cartridges anyway.

Tom

I have just tried holding my 1918 Webley .45 (de-act). The lever to break it is on the left and operated by the thumb for a right hander. If you hold it in your left hand you can't break it without changing hands. Not a major problem, but more fiddly.

Tim

1916 dated service revolver.

post-23-1062319497.jpg