Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CCS on Somme

KIRKY

Hi

anyone can give me directions for any of these in Somme area close to front line?

I have been visiting the Somme for 5 years now and would like to look at a couple of sites.

You do realise that there will be nothing left to see of these CCSs? They were mainly tented, so not permanant. If you want to see the typical sort of ground where one was located go to Puchevillers Cemetery; the fields surrounding the walls of the cemetery was where the CCS was located. 44th CCS in particular was in operation here.

Paul as usual you are so quick to reply, thanks!

I just wanted to get a feel for the areas used,I know there would be nothing left but have in fact seen what was left of dumps around Corbie area this March, there was much debris!

Thanks again

Tony

If you've visited Corbie then you weren't far from Heilly Station, where there were the busiest of CCSs. I find that area very atmospheric. You can see the flat area between the railway and the cemetery and imagine the position of the huts and tents which must have been there.

The cemetery tells it's own story, too.

Ken

Y'all are making me home sick for the Somme! I miss it and the rest of the Western Front sooo much now that I'm back in the States. I feel trapped between two worlds, the land of my birth and area I grew to love so much during my all too short three year tour in Belgium.

Jon :unsure:

Are there any books about the activities of a CCS? Just finished reading a history of the 9th Australian Field Ambulance and found it to be very interesting to see how the unit dealt with both static warfare and times like the Aug/Sept 1918 advances.

Cheers

Andrew

The role of the CCS's was covered in an article called 'The RAMC on the Somme 1916' in Stand To! issue 64 by someone called N Cherry (whoever he is!)

There are also some shots of Heilly in the Archive of the IWM taken in September 1916 which are easy to match up as they were taken on the slope running down to Heilly Halt Station.