Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Internet Archive

Andrew Hesketh

For anyone who has downloaded the "Ypres with Best Dunkley" and enjoyed it, but would rather enjoy it in the old fashioned book form. (but can't afford the original(£400+) . It has now been released again under the title "From Ypres to Messines" by Thomas Floyd. Available from Amazon.

Regards.........Ian

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

The following are E-Books free to download from http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

The 23rd (Service) Battalion Royal Fusiliers (First Sportsman's)

A Record of its Services in the Great War, 1914-1919 by Ward, Fred W. E-text No 20377

The Fifth Battalion Highland Light Infantry in the War 1914-1918 by Morrison, F.L. E-text No 20250

The Seventeenth Highland Light Infantry (Glasglow Chamber of Commerce Battalion)

Record of War Service, 1914-1918 by Arthur, John W. E-text No 20136

The Great War As I Saw It by Scott, Frederick George, 1861-1944. E-Text No 19857

The Leicestershires beyond Baghdad by Thompson, Edward John, 1886-1946 E-Text No 19379

The Fifth Leicestershire

A Record Of The 1/5th Battalion The Leicestershire Regiment,

T.F., During The War, 1914-1919. By Hills, J.D. E-Text No 17369

The Story of the 2/4th Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry by G K Rose E-Text No 20395

Tommy Atkins at War

As Told in His Own Letters by Kilpatrick, James Alexander E-Text No 16675

Downloads in HTML retain pictures.

There may be others. There is also a warning about copyright, but I will leave that to one's conscience, if it does apply in the country of download!!

Best regards

Colin

It's a site worth exploring as there are some real gems. I would advise you to be creative with keyword searches as not all come up on the obvious searches.

Explore this one too: http://www.archive.org/index.php

I don't believe that anyone can breach any copyright laws simply by downloading a text from a web-site. To breach copyright, if the original is still subject to copyright, you would have to use the text, or part of it exceeding 40 words, to your own commercial benefit. Simply having it on your hard disk and reading it is not a breach of copyright at all. If any breach of copyright exists it is a breach by the owner of the web-site.

In terms of writing a family history, and quoting from an external source, my understanding is that you can use up to 40 words without seeking any permission from the copyright owner, provided you make an appropriate acknowledgement.

I wrote a family history a couple of years ago. I was somewhat flexible with my interpretation of "40 words", but in all cases made acknowledgements, although in nearly every case I acknowledged an obscure text that many people would be unlikely ever to read in the first place. In terms of illustrations, many taken from picture postcards etc. I made every effort to find the copyright owner. In most cases this proved impossilbe. In one memorable case I did find the owner, but they were totally unaware that they had ever published the postcard!

The basic points to remember about copyright are that:

Copyright applies to a creative work by an author/artist;

It is intended to prevent commercial exploitation of an author/artist's creative work by another party;

No-one can copyright facts.

Just keep those points in mind and you won't go far wrong.

Noel

As I understand it the Gutenburg project has volunteers that retype books that are out of copyright.

Noel ... the Free Trade Agreement with the US brought about many changes to Australia's copyright laws. See http://www.copyright.org.au/

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Soren

Thanks for putting that link in, I was struggling there! To Colin also for the original post.

Greg

This is a great link my husband is interested in Greek /Balkan history and found orginal papers from 1914-1920 including letters from the Kaiser to the King of Greece reminding him that he was a general in the German army and therefore should not go against German interests.....so thanks a lot for this info.....he is one of the few husbands thinking the wife is mad to be interested in this site instead of the other way round....now have convinced him it might be useful after all!

Thanks

Caroline