Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Royal Welch Fusiliers

ianw

Can I commend David Langley's excellent article on conditions of service and recruitment with special reference to the 2nd R.W.F . It is in the latest Sept. 2003 "Stand To" and is packed full of fascinating information. Thanks david.

I havent read teh article yet but am I right in saying David Langley is about to publish a history of the 2/RWF during WW1?

I exercise my right of reply, as my cover seems more or less blown. Last year my "Duty Done, Second Battalion RWF in the Great War" was published by the Regimental Museum. Sales in aid of the Museum, so I don't mind advertising.

What has been accepted for publication is an augmented version of "Old Soldiers Never Die", footnoted with my usual pedantry, appendices, index, nearly a hundred relevant photos almost all never seen before .......

I am co-author with John Krijnen, a very early WFA member.

Knowing publishers, don't hold your breath.

Given that my existing copy of OSND is rather dog-eared , your annotated version would be a splendid replacement when published. Please keep us all informed.

The publisher for the super-dooper OSND is Pen and Sword. As far as I am aware, all other versions on the market are paperback reprints, and this will go for Old Soldier Sahib too. The Pen and Sword version of OSND will be proper hardback, dustwrapper and all, and probably a fairly large format. It will have a Foreword by Frank Richards's daughter and has been written with full family cooperation and thus a fabulous treasure house of documents, anecdote and illustrations. Completed contents will be with publisher within a month, after that, it all depends on Pen and Sword.

With regard to Old Soldier Sahib, I suggest you watch the Pen and Sword announcements, especially if you want an illustrated version with footnotes! I say no more at this juncture.