Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank Corps Soldiers' Numbers

Guest Simon Bull

Wish we could; official info is rare and therefore it is always useful when a soldier's memoires or other notes appear

Hello, I just joined the forum and am astounded at the depth of knowledge available. I wonder if anyone can give me an idea of when my uncle may have transferred from the Warwickshire Regt into the 5th Battalion, Tank Corps. His tank corps number was 69568, Jim Birch, killed at Meteren April 16 1918 aged 20.

Thanks.

Hello and welcome,

I'm afraid I don't have anything concrete, however, I've always thought that the 6????? series of numbers were earlier than the 75??? series that I've been researching. If this is correct then your man must have joined before January 1917.

However, the tank corps book of honour has a lot of 69??? men but no mentions before July 1917 and then all of those that I've just looked at were in F and G Battalions. The first big request for volunteers went out on November 18th 1916 when the first four Companies (A, B, C and D) were enlarged to Battalions. Your man probably responded to this.

By all accounts it was a time of great confusion with men arriving from all the units of the British Army and being sent fill vacancies, sometimes according to skills they possessed, and at other times purely to fill a hole. Exactly how they distributed men to different battalions is a mystery.

Hopefully somebody else will be able to add some clarity to these ramblings!

Regards,

Ian.

• 2 weeks later...

husher1917's post is amazing................it proves my theory that WW1 Medal Index Cards in the case of the Tank Corps do not show if a man served in Heavy Branch. Many thanks for the post Husher!

• 1 year later...

Ian, i am intrigued by the Tank battle sheets you refer to for 23/11/1917 as my Grandfather was in the Tank Corps but I can find out nothing about hi service with them. Where can I get or view a copy to see if he was involved at that time. He was Pte William R Woodland no 308666, I am led to believe with this number he may have transferred late 1917/ early 1918 but as we know every little bit helps. Keith Woodland

Hi this what I know about your grandfather Lincoln who was a L/Cpl in 3rd Batt

MM 09/04/1917 & Bar 23/04/1917 Missing 24/04/1918 Tank A256

That was the tank he was missing in the officer in it was 2nd Lt H Dale. Your grandfather was in X Coy H section. In the tank also missing was 111763 Gnr J Herbert

Hope this helps

17TankMan

Ian I am due to do some research on the 2nd B Batt shortly and will let u know about your relative if I find anything.

17 Tankman

Hello,

I've just joined the forum and stumbled upon your message. I thought'd I'd reply as the research I'm doing into my Great Uncle seems similar to your own. My Great Uncle was Harry Moon (of Storrington) and his service number was 75915. I have all his papers and they show that he enlisted with the Royal Sussex regiment on 03/09/14. He arrived in France about 25/07/15 and transferred to the Tank Corps in January 1917. He served with A Company of 2nd Battalion (formerly B Battalion) for two years and was demobbed on 23/02/19.

I guess from the number he probably enlisted shortly after your relative.

I'm about to put my request for information onto the forum. If you're into the Tank corps and get a chance could you look at it and see if there's anything you can help me with?

Regards,

Simon,

It's an interesting idea that tank corps numbers were issued sequentially upon transfer to the service.

I've just looked up my Great Uncle's medal citation in the Tank Corps book of honour and the entry above his is for an A/Cpl. E.J. Jupp, whose number is given as 75914. As my Great Uncle's number was 75915 it could be that they joined together or at the same time (by the way the service number given in the citation of my Great Uncle is wrong - as is the name of the town where he won his medal!!).

By way of further connecting these men I can say with some certainty that my Great Uncle was from tank crew B2 (No.1 Section, No.4 Coy) and Jupp was from crew B3 (No.1 Section, No.4 Coy), as I have copies of tank Battle History Sheets from 23/11/17 which give names and crew numbers.

Let me know if you find out anything else along these lines.

Regards,

Ian.

Ian, can you tell me more about these Battle History sheets, where i can find them etc? Many thanks. Keith Woodland