Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Casualties in an infantry battalion 1915-18

Charles Fair

What proportion of men going overseas with an infantry battalion in March 1915 would be killed or wounded?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. A typical infantry battalion goes overseas in March 1915. Please give your best estimate of the proportion of these that would be killed, missing presumed killed, died other causes or wounded between then and the end if 1918

• Up to 20%
    • 21% to 30%
    • 31% to 40%
    • 41% to 50%
    • 51% to 60%
    • 61% to 70%
    • 71% to 80%
    • 81% to 90%
    • 91% to 100%

According to my count (by my own hand from SDGW and OGDW so likely to be slightly inaccurate), 10th Battalion Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) lost 45 Officers and 943 OR between 9 Sep 15 (Pte Joseph Pincock) and 28 Oct 18 (Cpl William McAslam). Approximately 1/3 of those occured on 25 Sep 15 on the first day of the Battle of Loos.

How would you work that out as % of Bn? I'd say near 100% if a battalion is approximately 1000 men, but it depends how you what your starting point is.

Gordon Corrigan, in 'Mud Blood and Poppycock', ascertains:

United Kingdom population in 1914 was 45,750,000

Number of men mobilised was 8,375,000

Men killed (in all theatres, and all services) was 702,410

% of men mobilised killed was 8.4%

% of population killed was 1.53%

Assuming (a big assumption I know) an equal attrition rate in each battalion and theatre then I think Gordon would be forced to vote for 'up to 20%'

An interesting thread, though.

Roxy

I know that this is not representative of all units, but 4th Yorkshire Regiment recorded a total of 1323 casualties for the period March to May 1918. This is according to the monthly returns in the war diary. The unit caught the main force of three German offensives. I assume that some of the missing would have turned up later as stragglers, but it still suggests that a figure approaching 100% would not be unusual for many units in similar circumstances.

Charles

At last I've finished the 14/15 star rolls.

55% of the Buffs who were awarded this medal were either dead or discharged by the end of the war. This does not include those that were transferred or commissioned to other regiments/corps.

Mick