Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Glory Hole to Disappear?

Paul Reed

It's a great shame that such a respected WWI historian, a man who is so dedicated to the preservation of the memory of the Great War that he actually LIVES on the battlefields, could be accused of any ulterior motive in bringing this to our attention. Paul Reed has done as much for this forum as any member and has always been the first to protest the destruction of WWI sites. I totally agree with him - sites such as the Glory Hole are sacred and should be preserved.

Anyone who doubted the Reed guy's sincerity should think again. Paul Reed and I started a friendship on this forum by having a big fall-out about one of his favourite authors. I squared up to Mr. Reed and we talked the bit out. Result was good for both sides.

I can't talk for Paul Reed (nor would he wish me to do so), in fact he would probably be cringing with embarrassment right now.

But I can talk for me ... and I'd say this ... never mind anything else, there are punters on this forum who need guidance and support from someone like Paul Reed. His support and enthusiasm have kept me on the ball.

Man will make his own choice.

I'd like to see him back on.

Straight talking.

Des

I had not been keeping up with this thread and was both saddened and angered by the news that Paul (and a number of other senior pals) have decided to remove themselves from the forum.

Intemperate language on the Forum seems to have become almost a badge of honour with some posters - my earlier concerns over the lack of self control in UOT are nothing compared with my fears for the forum if men of the calibre of Paul Read are leaving because the feel insulted.

We must ensure that this forum is cleaned up, otherwise it will wither and die. I am willing to act as a moderator but such a role would be totally unnecessary if all Pals could control themselves. If they can't, then they should be removed from the Forum until they learn both manners and self discipline :angry:

Hi perhaps we should self moderate the Forum and if any of us "regular" guys sniff an attack then we should all respond in a way that makes it clear thet the opinion expressed is not the norm?

I hope that the members who have "upset" Paul will have the b#### to mail him and apologise.

Tony

Guest Simon Bull
Anyone who doubted the Reed guy's sincerity should think again. Paul Reed and I started a friendship on this forum by having a big fall-out about one of his favourite authors. I squared up to Mr. Reed and we talked the bit out. Result was good for both sides.

Des

Who was the author Des?

As one of the posters who felt that there was more than one legitimate point of view to the subject, I have kept up to date on postings. The last few posts have included some which called for an apology by certain unnamed posters. They are being blamed for a well respected member of the forum ceasing to take part in the forum. I was a little puzzled, as I could not recall the accusation in question. Today, I went back to the first post and carefully read through to the end. I have seen Paul's post complaining of being unfairly accused of allowing financial interest to influence his concern. I cannot see the post where he felt he was unfairly treated. I cannot see a post where Paul is treated in any way other than with the greatest respect. This is only his due as a great contributer to the forum. In case I had inadvertantly given an impression which I had not intended, I made a specific statement of how I felt with regard to Paul. I specifically stated that Paul was completely entitled to his involvement in the protest. Before the calls for apology are repeated could I ask , on behalf of the people who are expected to apologise, which post caused the problem? Who posted it? Can Paul or one of his many friends state what his grievance is? In sum, before an apology is demanded, can we be told what we are to apologise for?

Tom - I suspect that the offending post may have been removed by moderators leaving Paul's and other comments "high and dry". I recall the offending post and was amazed by it simply because it was obviously both ridiculous and utterly groundless. I have tried to PM Paul but his mailbox is unfortunately inactive.

Tom - I suspect that the offending post may have been removed by moderators leaving Paul's and other comments "high and dry". I recall the offending post and was amazed by it simply because it was obviously both ridiculous and utterly groundless. I have tried to PM Paul but his mailbox is unfortunately inactive.

That would certainly explain the series of posts and counterposts as I saw them. I did not see the offending post. Perhaps if I had seen a signpost saying " post removed by moderators" I would have guessed what was going on. I did wonder why my little quibble should be reacted against with such fury.

Local and personalised , alarums and excursions may have drawn attention away from the subject this thread was started for. What is the state of play at the moment? What is the prognosis? There was a suggestion that a fund might be raised, did that actually happen? Retournons a nos moutons mes amis.

Guest Simon Bull
That would certainly explain the series of posts and counterposts as I saw them. I did not see the offending post. Perhaps if I had seen a signpost saying " post removed by moderators" I would have guessed what was going on. I did wonder why my little quibble should be reacted against with such fury.

I don't think anyone is being critical of you Tom.

I had not been keeping up with this thread and was both saddened and angered by the news that Paul (and a number of other senior pals) have decided to remove themselves from the forum.

I don't know whether the "offending" post/s have been removed but I can't see anything in the thread that is questioning Paul or anyboy elses integrity...maybe I am just blind. Are we sure that Paul has withdrawn, definitive and not rumour, and who are these other "senior pals"?

Andy

I have never understood the reasoning behind the censorship in this forum. Cards on the table, I don't believe in censorship.

However, possibly to avoid legal complications etc, and for people with no sense of humour or perspective, this forum is moderated.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to have a big red "CENSORED" in place of any deleted/censored post? As has been mentioned above, some of these threads are almost gibberish by the time the censors have finished with them. :)

Yes,I agree that offending posts should be hacked about as necessary but left in situ. Having the tattered remnants of a post left for all to see might stop some of the silly posts in the first place.

I can't say whether Paul has left the Forum or not but I can't PM him.

Are we sure that Paul has withdrawn, definitive and not rumour, and who are these other "senior pals"?

And does it really matter?

People join and leave the Forum all the time.Sometimes we never know if they've left; sometimes they go off in a huff; sometimes they announce they're off; sometimes they just leave.

I've always respected Paul's knowledge and contribution here. And he's never seemed the sort of guy who would go off in huff over some throwaway remarks made by others. So, if he's gone, then he has his reasons. If he hasnt gone, then we'll see him post at some point.

GWF will carry on doing what it's good at doing - being a generally friendly and helpful place to spend some of one's relaxation time.

John

Cards on the table, I don't believe in censorship.

I'm not keen either. But the Forum has rules.

I would much rather see the mods delete the content (or part content) of an offending post and replace it with a remark such as "content deleted - personal abuse". Mods have done this from time to time and, from my point of view, it certainly helps to understand what might have happened in a thread (particularly if it's one of my posts that's been moderated)

Getting back to the topic, any news about what's happening - particularly Chris's cryptic post that "something" might be possible?

John

And does it really matter?, well I think it does, respect is earned and there are members of this forum for whom i have respect, and those i do not, Paul has my respect for his knowledge of the subject, this forum will wither and die without people like paul who can give definitive answers to questions from people like myself who want to know.

Members can report ANY post they feel contravenes the rules or spirit of the forum, by clicking on the blue "Report" button that appears below each post.

And by the way, the prematurely-lamented Paul Reed was active on the forum today... can we please put a halt to the rumour mongering and return to the subject of the thread?

And by the way, the prematurely-lamented Paul Reed was active on the forum today... can we please put a halt to the rumour mongering and return to the subject of the thread?

Indeed Chris and apologies for the quote and staying off thread this once.

It begs the question why are we members of this forum? For myself it is the quest for knowledge of my passion which is the Great War. To be able to learn we listen and read and occasionally challenge those who are better informed. In doing this we all benefit from each others education. When someone such as Paul is vilified for caring about a site of importance then I am afraid it leaves me cold.

From being in the possession of a name and a very cloudy idea of what the RND was I am now very much better informed and the richer for it. Pauls books have helped a total novice to walk the Somme and brought sense to what would have been a field of wheat.

Nuff said.

Davie.

Chris Baker. I am always fascinated by Pauls contributions and I have searched todays threads, but cannot locate them! Can you please guide me? Chris.

Chris Baker. I am always fascinated by Pauls contributions and I have searched todays threads, but cannot locate them! Can you please guide me? Chris.

The "last active" date on a member's profile might just mean the last time they logged in, i.e. he might not actually have posted a thread?

Just a thought.

I agree that there should be some indication when a post has been removed by moderators, otherwise the thread starts not to make sense. To be honest, I couldn't really see which post had caused all the fuss either, I just didn't like to say :(

I was having a beer or 3, with some residential guides in Ypres last week and they were all of the same opinion, that Paul would not be back on the forum. This was for the same reason, that they themselve's are also not on the forum anymore! I think it is a great shame, but hardly not expected!

Let's hope that, seeing as Paul been "active" as his profile indicates, that the other guides (whoever they may have been) are also still amongst us.

John

I noticed that Paul was "active" in Live Chat just last weekend. :)

Dave has posted twice in 8 weeks. These are people who previously posted an average of 4 or 5 times every day for three years...

Giles

Daves still posting almost everyday - Just happens he's well disguised B)

Glyn