Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ice Hockey in England

Broznitsky

Announcing Success! After contacting the Hockey Hall of Fame who suggested the Ice Hockey UK federation, I have learned the following, thanks to Martin Harris, IHUK archivist.

In Britain, only three artifically frozen rinks functioned at the outbreak of WW1: Glasgow, Manchester and Princes (ice pad 210x52 feet) in London. There are no records of hockey at the first two but details of a game at Princes in April 1917 have just been uncovered.

Remarkably this game was between members of 228th Battalion, including several who had played in the NHA and the NHL and were Stanley Cup winners. They divided into two 5 man squads - 'Toronto' and 'Montreal.' At the 60 minute mark the score stood at 6-6. 'Toronto' netted the winner afer a minute of overtime. Goal scorers unknown.

Among the 12 were Howard McNamara, George McNamara, Goldie Prodgers, Amos Arbour, and Gordon Keats.

Newspaper references to this event can be found in Ottawa Citizen 2/4/1917 page 8, 6/4/1917 page 8 and 12/5/1917 page 8. Also The London Morning Post - dates unknown.

Princes rink closed shortly after this game. Manchester closed in 1915 and Glasgow in February 1918.

Peter (insert Cherry "thumbs-up" smilie here). Beauty!

Newspaper references to this event can be found in Ottawa Citizen 2/4/1917 page 8, 6/4/1917 page 8 and 12/5/1917 page 8.  Also The London Morning Post - dates unknown.

He shoots, he scores!! Great job Broz!!

If you don't have the newspaper articles, we should track them down. If you do have them, I'd love a copy.

Garth

Garth, I thought your newspaper contacts could help us out with the Ottawa Citizen articles. Perhaps that famous English hockey fan - Armourer Sgt - can do something with the London Morning Post angle. :P

Wondering where Princes was I checked to find that it was in Knightsbridge, however it also said that the place opened in 1897 and closed in the summer of 1914. Did they refreeze the ice pad especially for the game in 1917 ?

Hi Broz:

OK, I'll cover the Ottawa Citizen. I'm wondering, is/was the London Morning Post a Canadian (London Ontario) or an English newspaper?

So, you've got the boys playing hockey in the UK in 1917. The next step is finding a link that has them playing a game on the continent between 1914-1919. James thinks he saw a picture of a game being played on an ice surface that had no boards. This might indicate a pick-up game being played in France on a frozen pond etc. All it would take is an ice surface, a frozen horse dropping (the puck), a couple of canes (hockey sticks) and you've got a game being played.

Garth

P.S. - It's less than two weeks to the opening of training camp and the start of the 2003/2004 NHL season. Go Canuks Go!!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the article from April 6. I'm still waiting for the Citizen's library staff to find and fax me the article from April 2, 1917.

The Ottawa Citizen

April 6, 1917

page 8

EXHIBITION HOCKEY MATCH IN ENGLAND

228th Battalion Players Played a 12 Goal Draw; Soft Ice Bothered Them

The London Morning Post says: A battalion of Canadian Infantry at present stationed in England organized an ice hockey match at Prince's Club, Knightsbridge, yesterday. As one of the leaders observed, the chance of keeping their "hands in" was too good to be missed, for in this particular battalion are some of the members of the Montreal Canadians, who won the championship of the world. They resigned their honors last year to do their bit in the war. This side consisted of Private Montgomery, Captain H. McNamara, Sergeant Goldie Prodgers, Sergeant Arbour, and Private Myers; and it was opposed by Toronto, Private Lockhart, Captain G. A. McKenzie, Sergeant H. Reynolds, Sergeant G. Keats, and Private Burns. It was a thrilling match. The score stood at "12 goals all" when the usual hour of play was exhausted, and a minute of overtime yielded the deciding goal for Toronto. Naturally the players found the rink a little soft by comparison with the beautiful "black" ice of Canada, but it was said to be "very good considering," and if men were cramped by the smallness of the rink, they all showed exceedingly fine form, and thoroughly enjoyed the match, while the large khaki company at the Prince's Club greatly appreciated the exhibition.

I've sent an e-mail request to the Hockey Hall of Fame requesting more information on the players mentioned in the article.

Garth

P.S. With a 25 goal game, I guess they didn't play the center ice trap in 1917. ;)

hi Garth,

I'll see what I can find for stats on the players tonight.

As for the trap it was Toroto and Montreal.....Jersey wasn't mentioned at all! :lol:

Take care,

Neil

Not to quibble, but I think the score was 6 to 6, with a 7th goal in OT deciding the match.

Neil - Looks like Goldie Prodges didn't have much of a career with the Habs; goose eggs across the board.

Broz - I'm not so sure about the score being 6-6; the first time I read the article that's what I thought. It mentions "The score stood at "12 goals all" when the usual hour of play was exhausted, and a minute of overtime yielded the deciding goal for Toronto." That would indicate to me that each team had 12 goals. Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me if I was wrong. :lol:

Paul - The Wings, you can't be serious. You're joking, right? :huh:

Garth

Hi All,

Here's what I could find: Howard McNamara, AMos Arbour and Gordon Keats those are the only guys I find in my one reference!

I don't have time right now but I'm sure their stats are available on the same site Goldie's were.

Again Ultimate Hockey by Weir/Chapman/Weir has a little blurb on the 228th which is too long for me to ttranscribe but Garth or Peter if you want me to I will send it out to you.

Paul,

It's tough to pick Detroit with the way Colorado has improved. For my friends in Vancouver your pick up from the Senators is going to be a nice acqusition for you but I have my doubts about Cloutier (article in recent Hockey News said the same).

you guys need to get Vancouver into the East, you'll be in the Finals guarenteed!

Training Camps have begun pre-season in what 10 days or so.

it's good to be alive,

Neil

Just a few things, I have a friend who's Father was on the British Hockey Team in the 50's when they won a Gold medal, We found a "cig" card with him on it. His last name is Anning. I am sure there were many WW1 CEF BAttn Hockey teams ( and other sport teams) I am sure many of our British Pals may be a bit lost on this subject ( it's our sport as "football is to them) Hower lets remember that alought Canadians Invented Baseball ( as we know it today, the eariest letter explaining the rules, the ball, the distance between bases, ect, was written in 1836, years ago the Museum in Cooperstown, bougth this letter bit does not display ti. They show a later American letter and claim the sport as their own. Also North American Football ( both types)was invented by a Canadian as was the boring "sport" know as Basketball. But the most important thing to remember is that "Hockey" is NOT the Canadian National Sport!!

I would love to know how many CEF Battns formed the TRUE Sport!!! LOts of running, little pads, a VERY hard ball and sticks with nets. A True Mans sport ( you can hit memebers of the other team as hard as you live with the stick, if you keep both hands on it)

Sorry I live in Whitby Ontario, half a klick from the Sports " Hall Of Honour" so I am a bit one sided.

In this town there are only 2 sports to play, the one where you run up and down the field and kick a ball into a net and the other, The Canadian National Sport.

One last thing to say "GO ROCK GO"

Dean Owen

Whitby Ontario Canada

Sorry for the rant.

Broz

Crossmyloof Ice Rink, Glasgow

Opened 1 Oct. 1907

Closed Feb.1918

Ice Pad 149 x 49 Feet

Hosted first Scotland v England Ice Hockey International

Scotland 1 England 11 in 1910

New Rink built on same site

Opened 1929 closed Feb,1968

225 x 97 feet pad

2000 seats

It's tough to pick Detroit with the way Colorado has improved. For my friends in Vancouver your pick up from the Senators is going to be a nice acqusition for you but I have my doubts about Cloutier (article in recent Hockey News said the same).

Hi Neil:

Dan Cloutier... (enough said) :(

I'd appreciate it if you'd e-mail me the info on the boys from the 228th. :)

Garth

In this town there are only 2 sports to play, the one where you run up and down the field and kick a ball into a net and the other, The Canadian National Sport.

One last thing to say  "GO ROCK GO"

Hi Dean:

You're right of course, lacrosse is Canada's official national sport. It's a fast, artistic and bone jarring game; not for the faint of heart. Living next door to the city of Coquitlam, I've become a big Adanac's (Canada spelled backwards) fan and catch a couple of games each season. I also make it down to GM Place to catch the "big" team in action.

In another thread I posed the question: has anyone seen any references to members of the CEF playing lacrosse while serving in Europe? With all those men who enlisted from the Six Nations bands, you'd suspect a game or two must have been played.

Go Ravens Go

Garth

Hi Garth,

I don't have a scanner so I will mail you out a copy in a day or so.

Unfortunately sat in the rain Saturday to watch Army get trounced by Rutgers. It's going to be a long season.

Take care,

Neil

I'm mailing the information out today. It's only a few pages.

enjoy and take care

Hi Neil:

Many thanks. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this for me.

Garth