Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hardingstone, Northampton

Anthony Bagshaw

Bit of a stab in the dark, but does anyone have any photos or names of men commemorated on the Hardingstone War Memorial Northampton?

I am looking for William George Stanton in particular.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

I could get to the memorial at some point if no one has anything Anthony, but it may be a few weeks to go in the light due to work

regards

Arm

Arm,

That would be fantastic, thank you.

No rush.

But thank you!

Do you know how good the local paper is for the area in terms of photos or an obituary??

Im less than 5 mins away from it on Saturday if you like? email me if you want it done (to remind me!) & Ill take care of it. :)

Steve,

That would be great, thank you.i have sent you a PM.

Steve,

The stone cross is at the road junction, almost opposite no 12 on this map

http://www.focusnorthamptonshire.org.uk/Wa...MapFeatureID=40

Anthony,

The local press can be quite good. I'll have a look for you when I get a chance. However, as WG Stanton came from Northampton town centre, he is commemorated on the town War Memorial. We should be able to provide you with a shot of that if you wish. In the meantime, here is a inter-war (?) period photo of College Street, Northampton

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...6lr%3D%26sa%3DN

Anthony,

The local press can be quite good. I'll have a look for you when I get a chance. However, as WG Stanton came from Northampton town centre, he is commemorated on the town War Memorial. We should be able to provide you with a shot of that if you wish. In the meantime, here is a inter-war (?) period photo of College Street, Northampton

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...6lr%3D%26sa%3DN

Hi Kate,

That really is great, thank you so much.

Obviously if you do look in the paper i will refund you any monet you may spend.

A photo of the memorial would be great too.

Please don't go out of your way though!

Thanks again

Best Wishes

Sorry for the one line answers, bit too early! :lol:

Nice one Kate - thanks :)

Wish Id have seen this earlier yesterday as I passed the town centre one yesterday morning on the way to the dreaded dentist :(

He is listed as W Stanton (not W G) on the Northampton Town War Memorial but I can confirm that his address was given as 43 College Street when the memorial list was compiled. There was also another W Stanton listed (1st Northants, from 11 Western Terrace). Both were privates.

The memorial names are now behind bars (literally) to prevent any abuse of the memorial, but keen visitors can obtain the key from the Borough Council Offices or the local WFA branch or the local RBL.

Drop me your email address via PM or forum email and I will send you a pic of the two Stanton names as they appear and a general view of the memorial.

Martin

Hi Martin,

PM sent, thank you

• 12 years later...

Anthony

Just going back through old messages in this forum and am researching (for a centennial exhibition in September this year) Hardingstone War Memorial soldiers. We have two Stantons on our memorial - Albert and Ernest - possibly related to your William George? Have you had any more luck in your research in the intervening years? Regards.

Richard