Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brothers who died on the same date!

aliecoco

Hi, Michael, Brendon, Racey T, and Jim,

Thanks alot for your recent replies on this subject. Just to let you know that as the topic starter I still like reading this thread!

I just can't believe the amount of brothers who have died, and on the same date! Which, after reading the whole thread seems so obvious to me now, with the Pals battalions etc. But not when I posted it!

An interesting point about twins, what are the odds on that!! Hedley and John need their calculators again!

Alie.

Maybe it would be a good idea to collect this thread and put it into an article on Chris main website ?. How about it Chris?.

I'll do it over the weekend.

All brothers entered in this thread are now on a webpage. You can see it here, and there is currently a link in the 'what's new' box on the homepage. (The link to the homepage is top left of the page you are looking at. Click 'The Long, Long Trail').

An interesting point about twins, what are the odds on that!! Hedley and John need their calculators again!

Put your calculators away. I enlisted the brain of my B SC Hons IInd [Leeds] Maths senior daughter t'other day. She has a lot of relevant background [having a 1418 nutter for a father]. If I understood her correctly, the events are neither fully independent nor fully dependent, and she advises that the odds are incalculable, there being too many "Givens" that have to be factored in [examples: Given the first brother dies at all [odds about 5 to 1 against in the infantry]. Given that the populations and distributions are truly random, which they are clearly not: brother might be in same section, platoon, company, battalion, regiment, brigade ......, or might not]. There is a method of dealing with "Rare events" [the Poisson Distribution] but these events are not, demonstrably, rare, just unusual. She advises that the only solution is probably empirical, in other words, count all the pairs killed on same day, and then calculate the total of all pairs NOT killed on the same day. Impossible, I hear you say. And that is her point.

• Admin

Don't know whether I should be posting this here, or adding to Chris' database, but, Guy and Paul Destrube are buried in the same grave at Serre No 1 cemetery. having been discovered lying in each others arms after an attack at Miraumont in February 1917. They were French Canadians. Another brother Geroges was wounded at Souchez, and survived the war.

They were serving in the 22nd Royal Fusiliers.

Michelle :blink:

The brothers Edward and Frederick Bristow [Royal Sussex Regiment], named on Chris's page, also now have their own page on my website as two Steyning men named on the memorial plaque. Hope this does not come into the category of shameless advertising, but if it does, I blame John Hartley, who led me into it :rolleyes:

Regards - Sue

All brothers entered in this thread are now on a webpage.

No, not all, Chris. I see that the Wright bros. RNVR did not make it

Nevertheless, I can see the (army) logic of it

It was ever thus

I shall just have to have an extra tot tonight on behalf of the exRND lads

Best Regards

Michael D.R.

You're quite correct, I must have missed the Wright brothers somehow. I'll add them, and Michelle's suggestions, as well as any others that come along.

I should have included these lads with my other posting-

Pte Herbert Hutchinson, 1894, 1/5th Lincs, KIA, 13 Oct 1915, aged 21.

Pte Fred Hutchinson, 1866, 1/5th Lincs, KIA, 13 Oct 1915, aged 26.

Both; Born Louth, Enlisted Grimsby, Residing Louth.

Sons of Frederick and Emily Hutchinson, 4 Priory Terrace, Louth.

Pte Charles Edward Lunn, 12337, 8th Lincs, KIA 26 Sept 1915, aged 21.

Born Creatford, Lincs (maybe Greatford, Lincs). Enlisted Stamford. Residing West Deeping.

L/Clp Tom Lunn, 12336, 8th Lincs, KIA 26 Sep 1915, aged 20.

Born West Deeping. Enlisted Stamford. Residing West Deeping.

Sons of the late Henry & Isabella Lunn.

And....

Pte Allen Harper, 10556, "A" Company, 6th Lincs, KIA 9 Aug 1915. Aged 23.

Pte Albert Harper, 10555, "C" Company, 6th Lincs, KIA 9 Aug 1915. Aged 21. (SD shows 2nd batt ?)

Both Born & enlisted Grimsby.

Sons of Alfred & Grace Harper, 93 Winteringham Rd, Grimsby.

Pte Edward Stennett, 12849, 6th Lincs, KIA 9 Aug 1915, Aged 26.

Born Guyhirn, Cambs. Enlisted Bourne. Residing Moulton Sea End, Lincs.

Pte Percy Edwin Stennett, 12870, 6th Lincs, KIA 9 Aug 1915. Aged 19.

Born Moulton. Enlisted Spalding. Residing Moulton Sea End, Lincs.

Sons of Edward and Katherine Stennett, Moulton Seas End, Spalding.

Maybe (not sure)

Pte Joseph Redford, 11653, 8th Lincs, KIA 26 Sep 1915

Born and enlisted Branston, Lincs.

Pte Richard Clarke Redford 11652, 8th Lincs, KIA 26 Sep 1915

Born Potterhanworth, Lincs. Enlisted Branston.

Somewhere I also have details on another pair of Lincs brothers KIA on the same day-both were scout masters.

Jim

and check Fred Dale -191! 13 Oct 1915

Just to jump back a bit to the twins killed at Arnham (Croonaert) . There was a gentlman in the Village where I live ( South Witham Lincs ) who was in the battle at Arnham. He never talked about it if you asked him, But on one occasion he had a little more drink and he talked about the twins. he said that he saw one run across a square and was shot and then the other twin ran across to his twin and was also shot as well. He said that he could still see them laying there after all these years. I was at Arnham in 1984 and it looks like I am off there next year, If any one has any info on which square the twins where killed I would be most interested.

Keith

Chris

I'm a bit late on this one. Can you add Robert and George Burton. They were both pre-war stokers from Sheffield who somehow ended up on the Indefatigable together. They lost their lives when she sank on Wednesday 31 May 1916 during the opening phase of the Battle of Jutland.

Thanks

Mick

Hi Chris

Thanks for adding the Wheeler brothers to the list. I have another pair of brothers from Fremantle who were killed the same day.

394-Pte Frank Henry Adcock - 11th Bn KIA 25/04/15 - Baby 700 Cemetery D.24

1044 - Pte Frederick Benchley Adcock 11th Bn - KIA 25/04/15 - Lone Pine Memorial

Cheers

Andrew

2/Lt Kenneth Ross, born 1890, and 2/Lt Melbourne Ross, born 1885, were killed in action 25.9.1915 while serving with 2nd Royal Irish Rifles. Remembered on the Menin Gate. They both volunteered on 15.8.1914 and joined the battalion on 28.6.1915.

Sons of George Harrison Ross and Henrietta Matilda Ross, Cultra, Co. Down.

After some serious computer troubles glad to be back on the forum. Some more entries for this thread and list.

DENNISON, Captain, HARRY STUART, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (Eastern Ontario Regt.). Killed in action, at St. Eloi, 8th May 1915. Age 30. Son of Ralph Abercrombie Dennison and E. H. E. McTaggart Dennison, of 90, Warrior Square, St. Leonards-on-Sea, Sussex, England; husband of Blanche Dennison (nee Darcy). His only brother, Lt. Ralph Edward McKie Dennison, 5th Bn. Royal Sussex Regt., also fell the same day. Age 37. Commemorated on Le Touret Memorial.

PRITCHARD, Private, R J, 1653. 3rd Bn. Monmouthshire Regiment. 2nd May 1915. Age 19. Son of Mary Pritchard, of "Sunny Meade," Mardy, Abergavenny, Mon.

PRITCHARD, Serjeant, WILLIAM, 111. 3rd Bn. Monmouthshire Regiment. 2nd May 1915. Age 42. Husband of Mary Pritchard, of "Sunny Meade," Mardy, Abergavenny, Mon.

WALFORD, Private, ASHFORD, 2026. 1st/14th Bn. London Regt (London Scottish). 1st November 1914. Age 24. Son of Thomas Charles and Mary Ann Ashford Walford.

WALFORD, Private, LESLIE FRANCIS, 2048. 1st/14th Bn. London Regt (London Scottish). 1st November 1914. Age 23. Son of Thomas Charles and Mary Ann Ashford Walford.

Some Australian ones:

HOLT, Private, GILBERT, 16900. 5th Bn. Australian Infantry, A.I.F. 20th September 1917. Age 20. Son of Thomas Grosvenor Holt and Elizabeth E. Holt (nee Mitchell). Native of Stratford, Victoria, Australia.

HOLT, Private, THOMAS MITCHELL, 6863. 5th Bn. Australian Infantry, A.I.F. 20th September 1917. Age 22. Son of Thomas Grosvenor Holt and Elizabeth E. Holt (nee Mitchell). Native of Stratford, Victoria, Australia.

STARR, Private, MICHAEL FRANCIS, 3464. 6th Bn. Australian Infantry, A.I.F. 4th October 1917. Age 28. Son of Mary Starr, of "Comely Bank," Healsville, Victoria, and the late Michael Starr. Native of Bendigo, Victoria.

STARR, Private, PATRICK JAMES, 3465. 6th Bn. Australian Infantry, A.I.F. 4th October 1917. Age 22. Son of Mary Starr, of "Comely Bank," Healsville, Victoria, and the late Michael Starr. Native of Footscray, Victoria.

RAISON, Private, ALBERT, 102. 37th Bn. Australian Infantry, A.I.F. Killed in action 8th June 1917. Age 21. Son of the late Samuel and Mary Ann Raison. Native of Wangaratta, Victoria.

RAISON, Private, ERNEST, 103. 37th Bn. Australian Infantry, A.I.F. 8th June 1917. Age 22. Son of the late Samuel and Mary Ann Raison. Native of Wangaratta, Victoria.

SEABROOK, Private, GEORGE ROSS, 6174. 17th Bn. Australian Infantry, A.I.F. 20th September 1917. Age 25. Son of William George and Fanny Isabel Seabrook, of Great North Rd., Fivedock, New South Wales.

SEABROOK, Private, THEO LESLIE, 6147. 17th Bn. Australian Infantry, A.I.F. 20th September 1917. Age 24. Son of William George and Fanny Isabel Seabrook, of Great North Rd., Fivedock, New South Wales.

In adjoining graves at The Huts Cemetery Dickiebusch are Eric [21] and Joseph [25] Burgess of Geelong Victoria, killed in action 4 October 1917. They were gunners with the 14th Bde Aust Field Arty, and according to their father were in the same gun crew at Passchendaele.

4434 David Mckenzie BELL age 25

4435 Henry Hewitt BELL age23

57th Btn. AIF

Sons of Henry and Elizabeth BELL of Yara Junction, Victoria.

BOTH KIA 28th October 1916 and commemorated on the Villers Brettenoux memorial.

RIP

Pte Percy Linnell, 1638, "A" Company 1/4th Lincs, KIA, 27 Jul 1915, aged 19.

Pte Clarence Linnell, 2799, 1/4th Lincs, KIA, 27 Jul 1915, aged 22.

Both born & enlisted Lincoln.

Sons of George Henry & Kate Linnell.

Different addresses in CWGC: 21 Winn St, Lincoln or 33 Mill Lane, Lincoln.

And-

Pte William Siggee, 14750, 8th Lincs, KIA 26 Sep 1915, aged 28.

Pte James Siggee 12445, 8th Lincs, KIA 26 Sep 1915, aged 20

Sons of James & Mercy of Tebbs Lane, North End, Swineshead.

William was married to Ada Bell (formerly Siggee) of North End.

A third brother John Richard Siggee, 12449, also of the 8th Lincs was KIA 12 April 1917, aged 27.

Jim