Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brothers who died on the same date!

aliecoco

Just to add to the thread this story of three brothers from Sevenoaks who were all killed or wounded on the same date in three consecutive years.

Cecil George Thompson of the 76th Field Ambulance RASC crossed to France on 25th September 1915, the same day his brother, Sidney Ernest Thompson of 7th City of London Regiment died in Sevenoaks of his wounds.

On 25th September 1916, another brother, Captain Arthur Herbert Thompson of 10th King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, was shot through the head and killed whilst leading his men.

The following year, on 25th September 1917, Cecil was in an ambulance that was blown up. He survived but suffered badly from shell shock and died suddenly in 1925.

Their father, who served with the 1st Volunteer Royal West Kents, was demobilised on 25th September 1919.

Lance Corporal Walter Harold Curson, (23), and Private Bertie Thomas Curson, (21/22) were both killed on the 19th April 1917 whilst serving with the 1st/5th Battalion, Norfolk Regiment in the Second Battle of Gaza. I believe that's the third pair of brothers who died serving with that unit on that day and there may well be more - the 1st/5th recruited mainly from the large Agricultural Labouring families in the west side of the county.

The two brothers came from the small village of Yaxham, just south of the town of East Dereham where the Battalion was headquartered. 

On the day as part of the general attack, a group of 5th Battalion and Australian troops managed to get into the Turkish lines by following a tank, which then became the target for every Turkish gun, eventually being set ablaze. It is not believed any of the troops who went with it survived. The wreck of the Tank was then turned into a strongpoint, and was known to the Allies as Tank Redoubt. Following the 3rd Battle of Gaza in November 1917 the area was taken, and the Australian Archive has a picture of the tank at that stage.

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/A00226/

Walter has no known grave and is remembered on the Jerusalem Memorial. Some of brother Berties' Service Records survive and tell an interesting little tale. Initially posted missing, eventually on the 4th July 1917 he was officially declared dead. There is then an undated report headed "Information as to Location of Graves". Bertie was found buried at Tank Redoubt Military Graves, Atawineh, Palestine - presumably this means he was buried by the Turks. He now rests at Gaza War Cemetery but the Commonwealth War Graves Commission web-site does not show a concentration report so I assume he was moved before its predecessor, the Imperial War Graves Commission, took over responsibility for maintaining the graves,

Peter

Edited by PRC

• 5 months later...

Remembering my father's uncles, brothers Herbert and William Atkins from London. Both killed on the same day, 26th May 1915; one at Gallipoli and the other in France.

14113 L/Cpl H.E.K. Atkins, aged 23. 2nd Royal Fusiliers. Landed at X Beach 25th April 1915, and after weeks of fighting was killed by a sniper while above ground, negotiating a flooded trench. No known grave.

1311 L/Sgt W.F. Atkins, aged 20. D Coy, 1/23rd London Regiment. Killed when his battalion was badly mauled in their first battle, taking (and holding) the German frontline at Givenchy.

No known grave.

Pat.

5927584ebc905_HerbertWilliammemorials.PNG.cf1b64d5400b377bcaae655f0fe399d2.PNG

One can't imagine the anguish their parents went through, to lose 2 sons on the same day and for neither of them to have a grave.

RIP :poppy:

Mandy

• 2 months later...
On 3 October 2016 at 19:37, Michelle Young said:

A family photograph can be seen on the Canadian Virtual Memorial as well as the two original grave markers.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/memorials/canadian-virtual-war-memorial/detail/259232?Benjamin Alfred Rippingale

• 2 months later...
On 10/1/2010 at 22:02, Old Owl said:

Hi Alan,

I can supply you with a photo and some details of Lieut E.H.Tottie of the 1/Northumberland Fusiliers, I'm not quite so sure about his brother, but I need to have a look when I am at home. I should be able to contact you tomorrow or possibly later tonight, I will let know what I have.

Robert

I am also looking for photographs of the Tottie Brothers I am in possession of their Death plaques , l would like to do a profile on them 

thanks 

keith 

https://www.illustratedfirstworldwar.com/item/dead-on-the-field-of-honour-naval-and-military-officers-who-have-been-iln0-1914-1003-0008-001/

Right hand page. Left 4th Down -  O W Tottie

http://www.winchestercollegeatwar.com/archive/eric-harald-tottie/

EHTottie

also

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Sussex/CopthorneSchool.html

scroll down

There is an article on the circumstances of their deaths in Reading Mercury 10/10/14.

Edited by Mark1959

On 29/08/2003 at 15:09, Geoff S said:

I understand that the 14th Battalion A.I.F had twins killed on the same day during the War. I cannot locate more details as yet.

Steve- Interesting note you make about the A.I.F allowing family members to serve together in the same unit.

Have found reference to an attack by the 16th Btn on Mouquet Farm on Aug 29-30, 1916 where 4760Pte F.B Burrows, age 57, was a member of "B" Company, led by his son, Lieut. W. H. Burrows, M.C. and Bar.

Interesting reversal son commanding the father, pretty unusual I would bet!

Regards

Geoff S

Thinking of the Lees, buried near them of course is Henry Webber.  He was always very proud that he, as a 68 year old subaltern, had to salute his field officer sons!

• 2 years later...
On 30/09/2008 at 16:59, Ruth Steels said:

Another to add to the list !!!

Just been to visit the graves of my great grandmothers sisters twin sons - LEONARD and WILLIAM CROSSLEY of Thirsk, North Yorkshire. They were killed in action on the 30th June 1916 whilst with the Kings Royal Rifle Corps and are buried in adjacent graves at Berks Cemetry Extension.

Ruth

I paid tribute to both brothers Leonard and William more than once, Leonard and William are also commemorated on my Brothers FB page https://www.facebook.com/pg/mahieu.frank.fm/photos/?tab=album&album_id=405150833208195&__tn__=-UC-R   (btw, do you know teir birthday ?)

Edited by Frank Flanders

• 2 months later...
On 14/05/2004 at 08:37, Jon Miller said:

It seems that the occurrence of two brothers dying on the same date is not quite as rare as might have been imagined when this thread started - mainly due to some really dedicated research by several pals. But I'm going to play the hard taskmaster here - on the proviso that I haven't missed such an example in the thread above, can anybody find a case of two brothers dying on the same day, but who were not in the same battalion?

They were my 2 great uncle's. They were in the army

14 minutes ago, Lauren Gunn said:

Lauren, You are referring to the Sloan brothers mentioned by Shawbridge. Best to keep all your posts on the main thread that you have started today otherwise we risk duplication of effort.

charlie

On todays date 13th Oct 1915, brothers 2191 Pte Ernest Alfred Sandford. Age 21 And 6 Sgt Walter James Sandford age 25.  A.coy 7th battalion E.S.R.

Sons of John and Eliza Sandford. 15 Windhill, Bishops Stortford.

On 28/08/2003 at 19:20, Walter Kortooms said:

What about Private James (S/40586) and John (S/40585) Benson of the 2nd. Bn. Seaforth Highlanders who both were killed on 3rd May 1917 and are buried in Roeux British Cemetery. Their parents were John and Catherine Benson from Grangemouth.

Both brothers were aged 22.

Maybe twins?

Walter Kortooms

https://www.facebook.com/mahieu.frank.fm/photos/?tab=album&album_id=405138713209407

On 27/11/2017 at 19:32, Guest said:

I am also looking for photographs of the Tottie Brothers I am in possession of their Death plaques , l would like to do a profile on them 

thanks 

keith 

commemorated on my fb page too: https://www.facebook.com/mahieu.frank.fm/photos/?tab=album&album_id=907919589597981

Edited by Frank Flanders

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2020 at 13:09, Lauren Gunn said:

My Grandfather John Duffy 19227 6/7 Royal Scots Fusiliers KIA 31/07/1917, my Great uncle his Brother Alfred 260166 5th Gordon Highlanders KIA 31/07/1917 at 3rd Battle of Ypres. Both listed on Menin gate.

Edited by Jim19227

• 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...

2799 Clarence Linnell and 1638 Percy Linnell of 4 Lincolns k in a 27/07/1915.

I noticed a report in the Times 09/08/1915 that two of the five serving sons of Mr G H Linnell of Lincoln were standing together in a trench when they were both killed by a German Shell. The report did not give their first names or Regiment but mentioned their OC Captain Staniland who paid tribute to them.

Brian

• 2 months later...

Hello All,

Searching more info about C. Allen and J. Allen.

Would like to know of they are related.

They where both from the South Staffordshire Regiment, Died both on the 14th March 1917

and are both burried in Shrine Cemetery, Bucquoy laying next to eachother.

Coincidence or Relatives?

J. Allen is 37 so i have my doubts they are brothers, maybe Father and Son?

1879086501_Schermafbeelding2022-11-24194452.jpg.402782187ac7b6e09f6c2c22e0fe89bb.jpg

• Admin
55 minutes ago, Lorre said:

J. Allen is 37 so i have my doubts they are brothers, maybe Father and Son?

They are not brothers, they may be less closely related but doubtful.

Job Allen enlisted in Walsall and was the son of Susannah  or Sarah A.,(father Josiah, deceased). The family did seem to go in for biblical names. Born Blakenhall, enlisted Walsall

Charles Allen we don't know his dob but probably born 1896 Rowley Regis; enlisted Rowley Regis son of Charles (b.1870) and Elizabeth.

23 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

Charles Allen we don't know his dob but probably born 1896 Rowley Regis; enlisted Rowley Regis son of Charles (b.1870) and Elizabeth.

So Charles, didn't know his first name, Thanks for that.

Couldn't find anything about him.