Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Naval Construction Research Establishments

The_Historian

hi,

Recently found an unknown military site near Kincardine, Fife on the NMR for Scotland, and on inspection of it found the legend NCRE welded onto some old steel plate. I'm reliably informed this stands for Naval Construction Research Establishment, and that they tested the effects of explosions on ship's superstructures. As this site shows evidence of an explosion at some point, I would like to investigate further but am unsure whether it belongs to WW1 or 2.

It comprises concrete hardstandings, and a small building about 15' long by 10' wide. It originally had an armoured roof in a small curve taking the whole structure to about 5' in height, like a miniature blister hangar, but this has been cut off. There also seems to be an entrance hatch to an underground chamber, which has had steel plate welded over it. The interior floor is of steel plate. The whole thing is surrounded on three sides by an earth bank which has been revetted with upright railway sleepers. Immediately surrounding this, there are six dead mature trees, which is the bit that really intrigues me; all other trees in the clearing and it's surrounds are relatively modern.

Anyone help shed a little light?

Regards,

Gordon

Gordon

This site was originally the Admiralty Underwater Explosion Research Establishment opened in 1943 when it was under the control of Rosyth Naval Dockyard. It was renamed as NCRE in 1946. The Establishment closed in 1949 when the NCRE transferred to Dunfermine and in 1977 it became part of the Admiralty Reseach Establishment system and the NCRE ceased to exist as a separate entity.

Files (921 in total) covering the dates 1942-1977 are in the ADM280 series at the PRO

Dave

Dave,

Many thanks for the info. I thought it was WW2 right enough. Now to find a researcher for the PRO!

Regards,

Gordon