Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th and 5th Battalions, Yorkshire Regiment

Jon Haslock

I have photocopies of the war diaries for the 4th and 5th battalions, Yorkshire Regiment (Green Howards). If anyone needs any info, I'll happily share it.

Jon.

Jon, I wuld be very interested in the following dates,

25th April 1915

2 May 1915

10 November 1916 (Harold Morris Thomas

Second Lieutenant KIA on this date)

Thank you very much,

Roger

Edited by roger

2nd Lt Harold Morris Thomas – 4th Battalion.

Harold Thomas was born in North Ormesby near Middlesbrough in 1876 and before the war worked as a bank clerk.

He was commissioned on June 17th 1915 and initially served in the second line before being posted to the front with the 4th Yorkshires.

Close to the end of the Somme offensive 2nd Lt Morris and the 4th battalion were in the line, close to the Butte de Warlencourt to the side of the Albert to Bapaume road.

2nd Lt Harold Morris Thomas was killed in action in this area on November 10th 1916 at the age of 40.

Originally buried in Hexham Road Cemetery his grave was later destroyed by shellfire and he is remembered today on a Commonwealth War Graves Commission special memorial in Warlencourt British Cemetery on the Somme close to where he fell.

Harold Thomas was the eldest son of Mr W R Thomas, a bank manager of The Elms in West Sunderland.

Roger, hope this is of some use to you.

Bob.

Thank you very much Bob that is most useful. Harold Thomas is commemorated on the war memorial in Bedale. He is mentioned in Kelly's Directory 1913 has being the secetery of Bedale rifle club and living at Rossleigh Wycar, Bedale. He was more than likely working at one of the banks in Bedale.

Thanks again,

Roger.

Bob, going off in a tangent just a bit you haven't come across a Lieutenent W Gray. The info I have is from a 1916 document entitled Bedale men who are serving their King & Country in the Army and Navy. He is listed as 3rd Yorkshire Regt. Mentioned in despatches and also a prisoner of War.

If anyone would like a copy of the document just e-mail me.

Cheers,

Roger.

Edited by roger

Jon,

Could you help me with the 5th Battalion 26 Mar 1918, 240604 Pte Fred Dinsdale.

Regards Charles

Hi. No mention of Fred Dinsdale, but the entry for the 26th is;

'At about 8a.m. enemy appeared and firing ensued. C.O. 2nd Worcesters then took over command of 24th I.B. and issued orders from H.Q. at VERMANDO VILLERS for general withdrawal to ROSIERES line by battalions from Left to Right, but as soon as left bn. (8th D.L.I.) withdrew WORCESTERS on right of 150th I.B. immediately retreated across country (8th D.L.I., 4th E.Yorks, 5th Yorks, 4th Yorks, 2nd Worcesters, order from N. to S.) (i.e. left to right). This incident made withdrawal of 150th Composite Battalion very difficult, and whole of rearguard platoon of 5th Yorks was either killed or captured. The retirement was carried out through VERMANDO VILLERS where Battalions reorganised and 150th I.B. unit moved across country in artillery formation, taking up a position in support of line running from road junction S. of point E in ROSLERES to contour 78 (map AMIENS 17. 1/100,000) There is no rearguard during retirement, but only Enemy Aircraft molested retirement. At about 7p.m. enemy advance guard once more seen approaching (8th D.L.I. were holding front line).'

Spelling and punctuation as per the photocopy. Rosleres is Rosieres.

As a matter of interest, my grandmother's maiden name was Dinsdale and her brother, Edgar,served with the 10th Battalion, Yorks Regt.

Hope this helps,

Jon.

What a gonk!

I've just re-read my post and I forgot to say it's the 4th Yorks I'm interested in, Sorry.

Roger.

Jon, I wuld be very interested in the following dates,

25th April 1915

2 May 1915

10 November 1916 (Harold Morris Thomas

Second Lieutenant KIA on this date)

Thank you very much,

Roger

Hi Roger.

Was it just the 4th bn or both?

25th April POTIJZE

'Remained night in wood. Very wet. At 8pm we went into trenches S of CHATEAU remained there until evening. Here Major SCOTT with great daring rescued a pot egg and some charcoal from a shelled farmhouse. In these trenches we had 1 man killed and one or two men slightly wounded. At night we moved to trenches E of chateau, remained there for about 1/2 hour and went back that night to C Camp arriving about 3am on 26th very tired. We were visited by a special messenger from Genl. PLUMER. viz;- Capt TREVOR thanking us for the work done.'

2nd of May, there's no actual entry, just a statement for the whole week. The only reference to the 2nd is about a gas attack. There are some casualties listed but it is unclear whether they are from the 1st or 2nd May.

10th November, 'Moved back to MAMETZ WOOD, being releived by the 4th N.F.'

Hope this helps. Have you tried the Regimental Museum in Richmond? They have various batches of documents that might be useful to you, Orders, Sitreps, Intelligence etc.

Cheers, Jon.

What a gonk!

I've just re-read my post and I forgot to say it's the 4th Yorks I'm interested in, Sorry.

Roger.

We're all human! I took a guess from Bob Coulsons reply and posted 4th Bn stuff. Jon.

Jon,

Thank you, thats great, from your kind offer and prompt reply I can tell you come from good stock?. Anything from East Yorkshire just ask it will be a pleasure.

Regards Charles

Thank you very much from me too Jon.

The dates are those of 4/Yorks men KIA who are on Bedale war memorial.

Thanks again,

Roger.

Roger,

Re W Gray only info I can find is from the POW listings.

1st/2nd Battalion Yorkshire Regiment missing 26/9/15 and interned Holland.

Repatriated 18/11/18.

Bob.

Bob.

Thank you very much Bob, I wonder if its the same man?

Roger.

• 4 months later...

Hi Jon

Looking for information on

Lieutenant CHRISTOPHER BUTLER PRIOR-WANDESFORDE

4th Bn., Yorkshire Regiment

who died age 20

on 27 June 1917

Son of Capt. R. H. and Mrs. Prior-Wandesforde, of Castlecomer House, Castlecomer, Co. Kilkenny.

Remembered with honour

ACHIET-LE-GRAND COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

Would you have a look at the diaries and see if there is any mention of him around the date of his death

MGB

Christopher Prior-Wandesforde was born on December 15th 1896 at Castlecomer in County Kilkenny and was educated at Mourne Grange in County Down followed by Rugby School.

He passed into Trinity College at Cambridge in March of 1915 but instead of entering college volunteered for active service and gained his commission on March 31st 1915.

He joined the 4th battalion later in the year in the Ypres Salient and in early 1916 was involved in the “Operations at the Bluff” to the south east of Ypres.

It was September before the 4th battalion entered the Somme offensive where they saw action around High Wood and Eaucourt L’Abbaye where 2nd Lt Prior-Wandesforde was wounded in action.

By now promoted to Lieutenant, Christopher Prior-Wandesforde fought during the Battle of Arras in April of 1917 and in June was in the line at the Hindenburg Support.

On June 27th the battalion came under a gas attack and although badly affected himself, Lt Prior-Wandesforde worked for two hours in rescuing others from a gassed dugout.

The extra effort involved in his actions caused the gas to penetrate his system and he died from the effects later in the day June 27th 1917 aged 20 in No 49 Casualty Clearing Station.

After his death his captain wrote,

“His was one of the sunniest natures I have ever met and no danger or difficulty seemed to damp his spirits for more than a few minutes. He was the very embodiment of charity and I have never heard him say an unkind word of anybody.

After he was gassed he spent the greater part of two hours looking after his men and getting them out of danger”.

Lt Christopher Butler Prior-Wandesforde is buried in Achiet Le Grand Communal Cemetery Extension, which is to the north west of the village just to the west of the Albert to Bapaume road.

He was the son of Richard Henry and Florence Prior-Wandesforde of Castlecomer House in County Kilkenny and Kirklington Hall and Hipswell Lodge in Yorkshire.

This is from my own research into Yorkshire Regiment officers, hope you find it of some use.

Bob.

I would appreciate any info for the 5th bn for the following dates:

08/09/16

11/11/16

Thanks

Peter

5th battalion 8/9/16 - Moved forward from Millencourt to Lozenge Wood in reserve to 44th Brigade and next day up to Pioneer Alley and Swansea Tench.

11/11/16 - Front line, Snag, Maxwell and Tail Trenches close to Butte de Warlencourt and during the night of the 11th/12th relieved and moved back into support.

Bob.

Thanks for that Bob

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi MGB and Channelhopper.

Sorry for the delay in replying. Bob's pretty well got it covered. All I can add is that on the 26th/27th, 4th bn relieved 5th DLI after their attack on Fontaine Trench and took over Swift Trench (W coy), Wood Trench (X coy), Curtain and Avenue Trenches (Y coy). Z coy remained in Sunken Road. The diary also records that at 4.30pm on the 27th, the enemy strongly counterattacked with excellent artillery control.

The 5th bn on 11/11/16 was relieved by 6th Northumberland Fus and moved into Starfish-Prue Trenches.

All the best, Jon.

Have you found any references to Pte. Cecil Grantham in the 5th Yorks. Regt.?

I appreciate this may be difficult to pick out.

Hi Simon.

I can certainly have a look. Have you any other details that might help narrow it down a bit?

Cheers,

Jon.

Ta John,

He appears to be Cecil N Grantham, late of Driffield, Pte. 2068 in the 5th Yorks. Regt. later moving to the Royal Munster Fusiliers as Pte. 18516.

He was batman to Lt. Col. James Mortimer.

I haven't downloaded his MIC so can't yet give you a date to pick out if he was wounded (or not).

Simon.

I've got as far as Sept 1916 so far. No mention yet, but Lt Col Mortimer was KIA 15th Sep 1916. The bn suffered about 240 casualties during a 3 day period 15th to 18th. Your man may have been wounded then. (Only a guess) I'll try to finish looking asap.

Jon.

Thanks John,

I'll have to get his MIC really to see if he was hit.

I don't know what coy. he was in, if indeed batmen had coys. I have read that D coy were supposedly raised from Driffield area but lack in depth knowledge about this.

Right! It's too hot for this, I'm off to drink beer and watch footy.