Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cross of the Order of St George

chris basey

I am looking at the career of a young Norfolk Regiment sergeant who was wounded near Ypres in early 1915. Newspaper report says that he 'has won the DCM' and the 'Cross of the Order of St George (4)5th class for gallantry and distinguished conduct in the field'.

How common was this award and was there a medal/ribbon?

Chris

It was a pre -1917 Russian award instituted in 1769 for conspicuous bravery in action against the enemy. There were four classes of the award, the 4th Class was a badge worn on the left breast. There were also a a St Georges medal. Some two million crosses and medals were awarded in WW1. 2,761 Russian awards were conferred on British soldiers by the Russians of which 1,699 went to other ranks. I can't provide a breakdown for the Cross but it seem likely that it was a scarce award to British OR's.

There was a medal ribbon for the uniform which was orange and black vertical stripes which repesented "through Darkness to Light", black representing darkness and the orange light.

Sources: Ribbons and Medals, Taprell Dorling

Statistics of the Military Effort of the British Empire During the Great War.

To see a picture of the award go to: Art Alliance

Terry Reeves

Andy Fiton's grandfather Harry Wellens has this 4th class. I think these trickeled down to be given to men commanders deemed worth. He also had MM and I do not know if they are for the same deed.

One thing I forgot to add, the Cross generally went to officers in the Russian Army. Given that the distribution of the cross to British soldiers was a matter for the British military authorities, I guess they weren't to worried about such fine distinctions, that is if they understood the Russian protocol in the first place of course!.

Terry Reeves