Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Irish Horse

Armoured Farmer

Hugh

Do you know anything about this hapless creature?:

HC Deb 07 March 1917 vol 91 cc407-8W 407W

§ Mr. T. M. HEALY asked the Under-Secretary of State for War whether Private Mathew Scanlan, South Irish Horse, No, 638, served his full period of four years, for which he enlisted, and an additional year's war service as provided by the terms of his enlistment; if so, was his discharge claimed and not granted; is it contended that Section 2 of the Military Service Act, 1916, applies to Irishmen engaged in military service not ordinarily resident in Great Britain; is he aware that Scanlan, who has served in France since August, 1914, asked for an exchange to a unit of his regiment in Cahir, county Tipperary, not very distant from his father's farm, so that he might exercise occasional supervision over the same; will he say why this application was refused; and is he aware that his father is old and infirm, with no assistance to till his land under the new Order?

§ Mr. MACPHERSON I am advised that Section 2 of the Military Service Act, 1916 (Session 2), which amended Section 87 of the Army Act and Sub-section (5) of Section 9 of the Territorial and Reserve Forces Act, 1907, applies to all serving soldiers and not only to soldiers who are ordinarily resident in Great Britain. No formal application for a transfer to another unit has been received from Private Scanlan, although a suggestion to this effect was made in a letter from a solicitor written on behalf of Private Scanlan. As Private Scanlan is presumably fit for service in France, he cannot. I fear, be transferred, in view of the military exigencies, to a home-service battalion.

regards

Mel

Hi Mel,

Sadly not a lot apart from the information from his medal cards, discharged Cl Z 3.3.19 (Scanlon in Roll) CY 121 B pg 2021 for the pair; 14 Star CY 4 pg 6 entered F&F on 17/08/1914. From his number we can also say he joined the SIH in Nov 1911, that's the lot I'm afraid.

Regards

Doug

• 2 months later...
Guest rawry45

My wife's grandfather, Charles Edward Savage served with SIH 7th Batt, was captured in France between 1917 - 1918. I would like to know when and where he fought and captured. Here's a postcard was posted to him from his father.

post-46786-1244113860.jpg

Guest rawry45

I took this photo of badges and button "Frontiersmen" worn by Pvt Charles Savage.

Was Frontiermen part of South Irish Horse Regiment?

post-46786-1244114186.jpg

• 11 months later...

I think the SIH site is not working. I have tried several ways to contact you about John Kavanagh, 509 South Irish Horse, who was captured and joined Casements Irish Brigade.

My take on him is here

http://www.dublin-fusiliers.com/Pows/casem...s/kavanagh.html

Anything that you can add on him would be very nice

• 1 month later...
I think the SIH site is not working. I have tried several ways to contact you about John Kavanagh, 509 South Irish Horse, who was captured and joined Casements Irish Brigade. Anything that you can add on him would be very nice

Hi,

The site is workng fine but I'm not and have been out of sorts a bit of late so this and other enquiries like it have taken a bit of a back seat for the moment. No doubt I'll bounce back and will clear the backlog in due course. :blink:

Hi

1005 Trooper Thomas Keogh entered France 20/1/15 with the South Irish Horse but transferred to 27th (4th Tyneside Irish) Northumberland Fusiliers to be with his brother Richard. Both from Maryborough Queens County.

Thomas was killed in action on the Somme on 4 Sept 1916. Richard was wounded on 1 July and when he recovered was posted to 2nd Tyneside Irish and was killed in action on 29 August 1917 at Hagricourt.

I have a phot of Richard but not Thomas unfortunately.

hope this one name adds to your list

regards

John

Guest emma roberts

Name: COATES, WILLIAM ALEXANDER

Initials: W A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Irish Regiment

Unit Text: 7th (South Irish Horse) Bn.

Date of Death: 27/03/1918

Service No: 25145

Additional information: Son of Susan Coates, of 2, Brighton Cottages, Foxrock, Co. Dublin, and the late Alexander Coates; husband of Maude Coates.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XVI. E. 1.

Cemetery: VILLERS-BRETONNEUX MILITARY CEMETERY

hi this is my great grandfather on my dads side , my maiden name is quinn my fathers name is jack, he is one of 5 children had by williams daughter constance louisa coates who married john quinn, just wondrin if u had any more info on him or if theres anyone on here who might be related to him thanks:)

• 7 months later...

My latest blog http://canadianexpeditionaryforce1914-1919.blogspot.comis about Private James Bannan #79897, 31st Battalion C.E.F. who is a native of Kilkenny, Ireland and according to his attestation paper, served for 3 years in the South Irish Horse.

Killed in Action November 6, 1915 - Kemmel, Belgium

Cheers

Bob

…son of Joseph Cope Bannan, of Kilkenny, Ireland. Ex-Sergeant, Royal Irish Constabulary, by his wife, Mary, daughter of Edward McElveny, ex-Inspector, M. D. , Police. Born in Kilkenny, 24 February-1894. Educated at the Model National School there. Went to Canada, 10-March-1913, and after the outbreak of war enlisted at Calgary in October-1914. came over with the 2nd Canadian Contingent. Went to France 14-September-1915 and was shot by a sniper 06-November-1915.

Grave or Memorial Reference: K. 55. Cemetery: Kemmel Chateau Military Cemetery in Belgium. He is also commemorated on the Great War Memorial in St Canice’s Cathedral, Kilkenny…‘To the Glory of God and in loving memory of the following members of the Diocese of Ossory who gave their lives for their country in the Great War 1914-1918’.

Thank-you museumtom. With your permission, I shall add the facts I did not already have to my blog on James Bannon. In forthcoming blogs I will focus on the remaining five Canadian soldiers from Kilkenny: Privates Mc Clean; Kearney, Stone, Jestin, and Cantley. Not sure if any served in the South Irish Horse but very possible. A blog on my grandfather, Cpl. John Cody #63207, 3rd (Toronto Regiment) Battalion who called Kilkenny home has already been completed.

Cheers

Bob

There were 18 soldiers and officers with a Kilkenny connection killed in ww1 with the Canadians. Three Kilkenny Cody's also died, one Navy and the other two Briitish Army.

Tom.

museumtom

Would it be possible to get your list of Kilkenny men killed as well of course, the Cody men?

I would like very much to expand my blog to include all.

Thank-you in anticipation.

Cheers

Bob

Hello Bob.

The information quoted is from an ongoing project. When it is completed the information will be made available to all, however, it has not finished...yet. The Codys are available on CWGC, if you include Coady as a spelling they would be 8 in total, so far.

I wish you the best of luck with your quest and your blog.

Kind regards.

Tom.

• 2 years later...
Guest JOT123

Re: Emma Roberts post about William Alexander Coates

Name: COATES, WILLIAM ALEXANDER

Initials: W A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Unit Text: 7th (South Irish Horse) Bn.

Date of Death: 27/03/1918

Service No: 25145

Additional information: Son of Susan Coates, of 2, Brighton Cottages, Foxrock, Co. Dublin, and the late Alexander Coates; husband of Maude Coates.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XVI. E. 1.

Cemetery: VILLERS-BRETONNEUX MILITARY CEMETERY

hi this is my great grandfather on my dads side , my maiden name is quinn my fathers name is jack, he is one of 5 children had by williams daughter constance louisa coates who married john quinn, just wondrin if u had any more info on him or if theres anyone on here who might be related to him thanks:)

Hi Emma, I found your post about your great grandfather, William Alexander Coates.

I'm fairly certain we are related. William Alexander Coates was my father's uncle. I've just this week made contact with your cousin Willie Ryan and hope to meet him very soon. I've been trying to research the Coates family history too and knew only that William Coates had died in WW1 and he was married to Maud Kathleen Lowe. I didn't know about Constance or anything about her family. Would love to hear from you too.

Best wishes, cousin June.

• 1 month later...

Hi

1005 Trooper Thomas Keogh entered France 20/1/15 with the South Irish Horse but transferred to 27th (4th Tyneside Irish) Northumberland Fusiliers to be with his brother Richard. Both from Maryborough Queens County.

Thomas was killed in action on the Somme on 4 Sept 1916. Richard was wounded on 1 July and when he recovered was posted to 2nd Tyneside Irish and was killed in action on 29 August 1917 at Hagricourt.

I have a phot of Richard but not Thomas unfortunately.

hope this one name adds to your list

regards

John

Hi,

Sorry I have come to this thread very late in the day!

Richard Keogh was my great uncle by marriage and I let John Sheen have his picture (my avatar) some years ago. Richard was killed in action Sunday 9th April 1917 at Roclincourt (Battle of Arras) and is buried at Roclincourt Valley Cemetery.

He was not wounded 1st July 1916 - I have newspaper article from his wife confirming "he came through the battle unscathed" (her brother Peter Devlin serving in 1st Tyneside Scottish was killed). In his Tyneside Irish book John Sheen records that Richard was wounded January 1917 but my understanding is that is based on an entry in NF Regimental Magazine which would have been subject to a timelag in reporting..

Last year I found an October 1916 newspaper letter from RIchard Keogh's wife reporting that Richard was wounded in the same incident in which his brother Thomas was killed. They were buried by an exploding shell. From John's book I put the location of the incident as Contalmaison.

If any members of the extended Keogh family read this post I would appreciate contact. I am seeking information about Richard Keogh's widow - my maternal great aunt Rose Anne (Roisin?) Devlin, born Workington, Cumberland 1889. I understand she settled in Ireland with the Keogh family and died in or near Lizziecasey, Ennis, County Clare - date unknown. I have traced her travelling to and from Canada in May 1937/May 1938 to visit her sister. She gave an address in County Armagh.

Steve Y

• 5 months later...

I have come very late to this topic, but have just started researching John Ronaldson Murray born Dublin 1899. He joined London Yeomanry, got kicked out for being under age, and joined S I H at Dublin or Cahir 8/10/1916, 2 months before his 17th birthday.Number 2226. His service record is available, but I haven't digested it yet. I have a number of Trench Maps, one with his name on it, and wonder what an 18 year old private was doing with maps. Any information would be of great interest. He came home and joined London Scottish TA.

Stuart

Only one I have research is Capt David Adams Palmer MC:

David enlisted as a special reservist in the South Irish Horse in Derry on the 31st January 1911. He was 18years and 4 months old and was born on the 27th Sep 1892 near Tamlaght-o-Crilly, Kilrea, Derry. At the time of his enlistment he was a Civil Servant working for the Irish land Commission in Dublin. He also spent some time as a Metropolitan Police Officer at Dublin Castle.

He served with the S.I.Horse in Ireland until the 25th October 1915 when he was discharged as a Sergeant to be commissioned as an Officer in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers. When he was with the S.I.Horse they were based at Riverstown, Glanmire, Co Cork.

He completed his officer training at Alconah, Crowborough prior to becoming a 2/Lt in the 3rd Bn Dublin Fusiliers based in Dublin. He was then attached to the 8th Bn serving in Belgium and won the Military Cross at Wytschaete on 29 Oct 1916. The award appeared in the London Gazette on the 21st Dec 1916. “For conspicuous gallantry in action. He led a raid against the enemy with great courage and determination. Later, he spent five hours in ‘No Mans Land’ searching for a wounded officer”

In Jan 1917 he was posted to ‘B’ Battalion the Heavy Branch Machine Gun Corps. ‘B’ Bn, H.B.M.G.C. became the 2nd Bn, Tank Corps.

He was wounded in the battle of Cambrai on the 20th Nov 1917 but not seriously. On the 3rd Mar 1918 he became an Acting Captain and was given command of a section (3) of tanks. On the 22nd Mar 1918 he received a Gun Shot Wound fired from a German aircraft near Morchies. Although wounded in the right shoulder he subsequently died 3 days later on the 25th Mar. He is buried at Dernancourt Military cemetery near the site of the 56th Casualty Clearing Station where he was treated.

• 2 months later...

Hi

Two more names for you, both from Ballymote in County Sligo.

Name: GORMAN, Frederick Alexander Edmond
Unit: 7th (South Irish Horse) Bn.

Service No: 73198

Enlisted: 22/11/15

Discharged: 8/2/19
Born: 1891
Survived the War but was wounded. Subsequently moved to England.

Name: GORMAN, Arthur Victor

Unit: 7th (South Irish Horse) Bn.

Service No: 25325, Formerly 1852, S. Ir. Horse
Born: 1888
Died: 21/03/1918

Burial:

Pozieres Memorial
Pozieres
Departement de la Somme
Picardie, France
Plot: Panel 30 and 31.

• 3 years later...

My Grandfather was Edward Sheehan of C company SIH - the Commanding officer of C company was Harold E Berry, of Riverstown House and my grandfather was also the gardener there! Injured but survived the battle on 21 March 1918 - my great grandmother received a cable stating missing presumed dead. Turned up unannounced at the end of the war!  

• 9 months later...

I apologise if this comes up as a repeat post but, I am not tech proficient and can find no trace of my earlier attempts.

I'm 79 years of age and have been researching my uncle's life story for some years. The only period of his life for which I cannot find very much information is the period that he spent, serving with the British Army, in the South Irish Horse. I have several photos of him in S.I.H. uniform on horseback.

Here are some further details about him which may help some kind person here to assist me:

Name: John Francis Keating

D.O.B.: 26th Oct 1899.

Address:  Ballyragget, Co. Kilkenny, Ireland

Enlisted in South Irish Horse: 18th Oct 1915 (aged almost 16)

Transferred to Corps of Hussars (date ?)[ I was informed that this meant that he never became an Infantryman as many of his Regimental comrades did.]

Discharged: 18th Feb 1919.

Awards: Victory Medal (CY/113B page 1283)

: British  Medal (…  do  …   ...  do  .. ) 

How can I find out how long he did serve in France ?

How can I find out what areas of the fighting, if any, he did serve in ?

What, exactly, did he do during WW1 ?

As my research has been long and difficult I will be most grateful for any information , however scant, in order to help me complete the biography of a fine man.

My Grandfather served in the South Irish Horse. His name was Maurice Flynn. He was born in New York but his family returned to Eire when he was aged 2 years. He was from County Limerick. He started in the Cavalry but was later in the trenches. I know he was at Mons, the Sommes, the Third Battle of Ypres and Mons. He was wounded at the Sommes. Bayonetted and suffering from "Trench Foot". He was sent back to the front following this. My father said he never talked about his experiences until one day when an old comrade arrived at his door. My father aged 17 heard for the first time about my grandfather's time in WW1. My Great Uncle Jack Flynn was in the Royal Air Corps. He also survived the conflict, only to contract Spanish Flu and died from Pneumonia.

Edited by Guest

On 10/04/2007 at 11:17, ckop4 said:

These two articles contradict each other on both the father's name and the date of death. According to SDITGW, Trooper Shanahan was killed on the 11th of January, 1916:-

(CE 20/1/1916) – KILLED IN ACTION – TROOPER DANIEL SHANAHAN, South Irish Horse (son of Mr. Michael Shanahan, 17 Upper John street, Cork), killed in Armentieres on the 11th of July last. He was connected with the Waterworks Department of the Corporation.

SHANAHAN – (CE 17/1/1916) – Killed in action on the 11th January, of the South Irish Horse, Daniel Joseph (Dan), son of Patrick, 17 Upper John St., Cork, (Waterworks Department). Deeply and deservedly regretted by his sorrowing parents and relatives …..

Sorry, rather old post, but just come across this, The correct one was the second one, my great uncle

daniel.jpg