Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Irish Horse

Armoured Farmer

Two more for you Hugh -

(CE 6/1/1916) – CORK FIRE BRIGADE AND THE WAR – (1) - LIEUT. HUTSON, Royal Fusiliers, promoted from the South Irish Horse. He is son of Captain A. Hutson, Superintendent Cork Fire Brigade.

(CE 17/4/1915) – PLUCKY MUNSTERMAN – LIEUTENANT BERTIE LUDGATE, Lombardstown, Co. Cork, South Irish Horse, who is at present out at the front, having gone out there last September. He is reported to have shown great bravery under fire.

Jean

Jean,

These are great, thank you. Robert Ludgate was awarded the DCM in April 1915 for his work carrying dipatches in October/November 1914. He was commissioned into the Royal Munster Fusiliers in April 1918, and served in 7th Battalion Royal Irish Regiment in the last months of the war.

Hugh

Mate,

I don't know if its of any use but I've two soldiers in the Australain Light Horse who claim to have served in the South Irish Horse pre war.

GRAHAM Thomas Donald 2/Lt ACo/28BN AIF KIA

WATTERS Albert Andrew 2098 Pte 6 LHR AKA Albert Timothy Watters

Not knowing much about this Regt what they did is unknown but there AIF service records should be on line.

Cheers

S.B

post-18479-1175591846.jpg

The Front:

The badge measures 31mm by 26mm, not including the bottom of the slider.

Connaught Stranger :D

Hi looks like a 1970's style re-strike, unless you have some supporting history. Every badge of this type I have seen on ebay claiming to be genuine and stating 'Genuine WWI SIH badge' I question with the seller. I've yet to have a satisfactory reply other than "It comes from a reliable dealer" or "From an old collection" or "Been in my collection for many years"

All the examples I have seen that I believe to be genuine, mostly from relatives of ex serving menbers have been of the styles shown in the attachments. The first and last are solid cast examples and the middle one die struck and hollow with a slider, note the square serifs on each example. I have some French 'locally' cast examples that are slightly smaller, as a cast from an original badge should be.

Sorry to have questioned your badge but without the supporting evidence , I've yet to be convinced that this style, with the pointed serifs is anything other then a modern restrike. There are just to many of them about.

Regards

Doug

post-4397-1175638701.jpg

post-4397-1175638717.jpg

post-4397-1175639303.jpg

Mate,

I don't know if its of any use but I've two soldiers in the Australain Light Horse who claim to have served in the South Irish Horse pre war.

GRAHAM Thomas Donald 2/Lt ACo/28BN AIF KIA

WATTERS Albert Andrew 2098 Pte 6 LHR AKA Albert Timothy Watters

Not knowing much about this Regt what they did is unknown but there AIF service records should be on line.

Cheers

S.B

Thanks for these Steve, we had no record of either man before this. I'll check the pre-war service papers at Kew for them and let you know if I find anything.

Hugh

Jean,

Do you want more information on the men you have posted? We have service papers for R Ludgate and TEA Flynn.

Hugh

(CE 15/3/1915) – JOHN O CALLAGHAN, Banteer, who is serving with the South Irish Horse since September. Before joining the colours he was instructor to the National Volunteers at Banteer. In a letter to Father O Sullivan he states he is in fine form.

Connaught Stranger

Thanks for posting the badge.

I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier. Have to confess I somehow lost contact witht he post.

Thanks again

Regards

Carninyj

Jean,

Thanks again. These are fantistic and add just a little bit more to each mans' story. In many cases we simply have a list of sources that the man is not in!

Cheers

Hugh

(CE 3/5/1916) – CORPORAL RICHARD RIORDAN, of the South Irish Horse, who was recently home on furlough after having spent over twelve months in the trenches. He is well known in Cork and also in the Blarney district. For many years before the outbreak of war he participated in the majority of the athletic meetings held throughout Ireland. His popular events were the 100, 220, and 440 yards, and as a sprinter he gained many notable achievements. He won many of such events, and was one of the most popular athletes in the country. His numerous acquaintances will be pleased to know that he is strong and well. (Excelsior Studio, Coburg street , Cork).

Jean,

Again, thank you.

Our main problem with researching the South Irish Horse outside the National Archives is that although the regimental headquarters was based in Cahir during the war, there was no recognised regional recruitment area. This means that checking the "local" papers becomes an almost impossible task. So efforts like yours become doubly valuable to us.

Best Regards

Hugh

Hi ,I have the WW1 Memorial Scroll to 861 Private Joseph Rankin, S Squadron SIH. He died on 16th October 1914 and is buried in Boulogne Eastern Cemetery. He was the son of Joeph and Mary Rankin of 23 Hollybank Rd, Drumcondra.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Andrew

These two articles contradict each other on both the father's name and the date of death. According to SDITGW, Trooper Shanahan was killed on the 11th of January, 1916:-

(CE 20/1/1916) – KILLED IN ACTION – TROOPER DANIEL SHANAHAN, South Irish Horse (son of Mr. Michael Shanahan, 17 Upper John street, Cork), killed in Armentieres on the 11th of July last. He was connected with the Waterworks Department of the Corporation.

SHANAHAN – (CE 17/1/1916) – Killed in action on the 11th January, of the South Irish Horse, Daniel Joseph (Dan), son of Patrick, 17 Upper John St., Cork, (Waterworks Department). Deeply and deservedly regretted by his sorrowing parents and relatives …..

Hi ,I have the WW1 Memorial Scroll to 861 Private Joseph Rankin, S Squadron SIH. He died on 16th October 1914 and is buried in Boulogne Eastern Cemetery. He was the son of Joeph and Mary Rankin of 23 Hollybank Rd, Drumcondra.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Andrew

Andrew,

Thanks for this. Do you have anything else to do with him? We think he might be the brother of William Rankin, SIH later R Ir Regt who died in 1918.

S Squadron went overseas in August 1914 along with 2 squadrons of NIH, A and B. It was a composite squadron formed from the 3 squadrons of the regiment and has been labelled B squadron ever since but known in the regiment as S for Service Squadron.

Best Regards

Hugh

Jean,

Thanks for the continued posting of photographs.

H

Jean,

This just gets better!

We had no record of a JW McCarthy. He does not appear in the MIC search for McCarthy in the South Irish Horse. From this I would assume that he was commissioned before going overseas. A check of his service papers will confirm this one way or the other.

In short, Jean, it looks like you have identified one more member of the SIH that we perhaps would never have known about.

Best regards

Hugh

• 2 weeks later...
Andrew,

Thanks for this. Do you have anything else to do with him? We think he might be the brother of William Rankin, SIH later R Ir Regt who died in 1918.

S Squadron went overseas in August 1914 along with 2 squadrons of NIH, A and B. It was a composite squadron formed from the 3 squadrons of the regiment and has been labelled B squadron ever since but known in the regiment as S for Service Squadron.

Best Regards

Hugh

Jean,

Thanks for the continued posting of photographs.

H

Sorry Hugh, all I have is what you see.

Andrew

Hugh,

Please look at the topic 'LT. WALTERS, 1st AUSTRALIAN DIVISION' as you will find another refugee from the SIH

Hugh,

Please look at the topic 'LT. WALTERS, 1st AUSTRALIAN DIVISION' as you will find another refugee from the SIH

Thanks Jean. A nice coincidence as WATTERS Albert Andrew 2098 Pte 6 LHR AKA Albert Timothy Watters was brought to my attention earlier in this thread.

Regards

Hugh

• 8 months later...

Hugh

Somewhere, in a box which I cannot now put my hands on - I have a lone Allied Victory Medal to James Clewy, Private no. 1102, South Irish Horse and Private, no. 73122, Corps of Hussars.

Have you anything about him ?

William

Armoured Farmer

I imagine you probably have these two (or one) but here they are anyway:

BENTLEY,(1) Private James Edward. Born Hillsborough. Address and enlisted at Dublin and served in SIH 1742. KIA in France on the 14.5.17 aged 22. Buried in Philosophe British Cemetery, Mazingarbe, France, plot 1, row P, grave 3. Son of James Edward and Henrietta Sophie Bently of 11 Rialto Buildings, Dolphins Barn, Dublin. [sDGW. CWGC FR 115 pt. 1. IMR vol. 1 p. 139]. (1) The details here re. service number, regiment and date of death are the same as for Alfred Johnston, see below. CWGC has no record of Johnston, his details coming from IMR. Could Bentley have served under an assumed name?

JOHNSTON,(1) Private Alfred. Born Hillsborough. Served in SIH 1742. Died on the 14.5.17. [iMR vol. 4 p. 270]. (1) The details here re. service number, regiment and date of death are the same as for James Edward Bentley, see above. WOCL and CWGC have no record of Johnston, his details coming from IMR. Could Bentley have served under an assumed name? There is a Pvt. Alfred Johnston, born Waldridge Fell, Durham. Enlisted at Jarrow and served in 13 Durham Light Infantry 17421. Address Durham. KIA in France on the 18.7.16. His death is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial, France, pier and face 14 A or 15 C. [sDGW. CWGC MR 21]. Could there be some confusion over the service number? CWGC have over 100 A. Johnstons and WOCL 55, none in SIH.

Pat

May I please share with those who have not seen this before,my favourite South Irish Horse photo from Ron Harris`s book "The Irish Regiments"

The caption says it all

P.B.

post-63-1200678349.jpg

post-63-1200678359.jpg

James Clewy, Private no. 1102, South Irish Horse and Private, no. 73122, Corps of Hussars.

Have you anything about him ?

Hi William,

Not a sausage I'm afraid ... Apart from the usual from the medal rolls:

Entitled to a 15 Star trio, Disemb 2.5.19 and that's your lot :(

On our trawl through the WO 363 and 364 papers he did not surface either.

Regards

Doug

AKA the other one.