Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Irish Horse

Armoured Farmer

My grandfather and one of his older brothers both served in the South Irish Horse. Trooper Thomas Stone and Sarjeant Charles Stone. I have their medal cards but their other files were apparently destroyed by German bombing in WW2. Both were from County Kilkenny when they enlisted in Dublin.

Stone - Thomas (1915).jpgStone - Charles (1915).jpg

Stone - Thomas 1505 (Colour).jpg

Stone - Charles 1499 (Colour).jpg

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2007 at 10:05, ckop4 said:

Hugh,

Heres a little list I compiled of some Corkmen in the SIH, taken from various Rolls of Honour in the Cork Examiner of the time:-

ALLISON, J. H., SOUTH IRISH HORSE

List of Cork Volunteer Training Corps Volunteers, April 1915.

DALTON, F., SOUTH IRISH HORSE

DALTON, RICHARD, SOUTH IRISH HORSE

DALY, J., SOUTH IRISH HORSE

List of Cork City Regt., Irish National Volunteers, who have volunteered, March 1915.

FINNEGAN, W. A. W., SOUTH IRISH HORSE

HICKEY, PATRICK, SOUTH IRISH HORSE, Mallow

Men awarded certificates of Honour from Mallow Rural Council, Feb 1916.

HOURIGAN, J., SOUTH IRISH HORSE

List of Cork Tramway Co. employees at the front, January 1915.

LANE, JEREMIAH, SOUTH IRISH HORSE, Mallow

LUDGATE, JOSEPH J., SOUTH IRISH HORSE, Mallow

MANNING, G., SOUTH IRISH HORSE

MORRIS, C., SOUTH IRISH HORSE

MORRIS, W. V., SOUTH IRISH HORSE

ROYCROFT, S., SOUTH IRISH HORSE

SULLIVAN, MICHAEL, SOUTH IRISH HORSE, Mallow

SULLIVAN, P., SOUTH IRISH HORSE

List of Cork City Regt., Irish National Volunteers, who have volunteered March 1915.

Jean

You don't mention a man named Walter Dwyer, I believe he was a First Lt. and may have been promoted in the field. Do you have any details of him ?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - I am transcribing my Grandfather's diaries 845 JD Caird3 Troop S Squadron, SIH and just got to the piece where he states " We have to keep everything shining now as we are Corps Troops to 1st Corps and our Major Burns Lindow is Camp Commandant." and I have just seen the photo earlier in this trail mentioning Burns Lindow.  Other names mentioned 

Cpl Ashman L/C Jacobs, Piggott Maguire Stanley Moore Jenkins as they went out with my Grandfather for dinner on the 25th Dec 1915

• 1 year later...

Hello, I've have come across the grave of an Old Contemptable who was in the South Irish Horse in WW1. His name was A F JONES and is now buried in Mount Jerome cemetery in Dublin. The grave alas in now unmarked but I am in the process of erecting a proper marker for him. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find out anything about him, though I have tried various sites including Ancestry.co etc. I think he may have died in 1951 or so and was from central Dublin. I know it has been a long time but I would greatly appreciate and information.

Many Thanks.  Mick K

Welcome to the forum. If you knew the forename it would help, Jones is a fairly common surname! 

But I do see there was an Arthur Jones who died Dublin in 1951. 

Death cert Arthur Jones

Assuming this is your man, there is possible option - Arthur Jones of South Irish Horse who subsequently joined Royal Irish Regiment. 

MIC Arthur Jones

Jervis

Mick

As Jervis says there are a lot of Jones on the records.

1. Looking through deaths 1950 to 1952, the one Jervis highlights is about the only possible. But it is only for Arthur, not Arthur H

2. Most likely birth to go with it is click - for a Arthur Francis , again not Arthur H

3. How do you know he is buried in Mt Jerome if there is no marker, and how do you know he was an Old Contemptible

4. He we were an OC, then he would have the Star. And "Jervis's man" is he only A Jones in SIH to have a star - click for web page of SIH with Star

Edited by corisande

jones.JPG.49a1a62fdc2cf8a7b780c89f2b1ce60d.JPG

And here is Arthur Francis being buried in Mt Jermone in 1951

I think you need to check back to see why you think he is Arthur H

• 2 months later...

My great-grandfather Arthur Mitchaelburn Symes was #430 Squadron A - 1910-1914

Re-enlisted 8/1914 #945 Squadron S

Requested a transfer with commission to Royal Dublin Fusiliers, granted 9/25/1915

• 9 months later...

Patrick Joseph McCarthy joined I beleive before WWI and was one of first in France with British Expiditionary Force I beleive he received a campaign medal for this.  He was a dispatch rider and it states on a scroll he was mentioned in dispatches I beleive he received MM with Oak Leaves I remember reading the scroll that was with his medals and Oak Leaves. Patrick Joseph McCarthy was from Tallow Co Waterford and moved to Llanelli Wales after WWI and lived at Park Street and Maestir and is buried in Box Cemetry Llanelli. 

I was reading through posts and Quest for 7 and 12 Jan 2019 posted list of names from the Roll for 3 Troop S Squadron SIH and it appeared to be from around 1915 with McCarthy a name on the Roll. As my Grandfather was a dispatch rider it appears this maybe Himself as he would have been close to HQ and the officers mentioned. Very imformative site. 

• 9 months later...
On 03/04/2007 at 23:35, vaugh said:

Hi looks like a 1970's style re-strike, unless you have some supporting history. Every badge of this type I have seen on ebay claiming to be genuine and stating 'Genuine WWI SIH badge' I question with the seller. I've yet to have a satisfactory reply other than "It comes from a reliable dealer" or "From an old collection" or "Been in my collection for many years"

All the examples I have seen that I believe to be genuine, mostly from relatives of ex serving menbers have been of the styles shown in the attachments. The first and last are solid cast examples and the middle one die struck and hollow with a slider, note the square serifs on each example. I have some French 'locally' cast examples that are slightly smaller, as a cast from an original badge should be.

Sorry to have questioned your badge but without the supporting evidence , I've yet to be convinced that this style, with the pointed serifs is anything other then a modern restrike. There are just to many of them about.

Regards

Doug

post-4397-1175638701.jpg

post-4397-1175638717.jpg

post-4397-1175639303.jpg

Hi Doug (if you're still on this forum!),

I've picked up the a badge pictured here (attached). Its solid brass but slightly smaller than other solid brass ones I have seen (that I believe to be authentic). I wonder if it could be one of the locally cast examples you spoke of. Were these made by French suppliers during the war, or are they reproductions, do you know? 

This one measures around 3cm across and 2.2cm top of leaf to tip of stem.

Thanks,

Andrew

IMG_20211112_160404.jpg.bef78be116701a42c60f478c391892d3.jpg

Hi Andrew,

Yep, still here! 
So its difficult to tell, I've attached a photograph of one such badge with a pair of medals, the original owners son remembers his father telling him his badge was 'locally cast' how true this is, is a moot point. I've attached another photograph of a similar one taken from a photo of an SIY / SIH collection of badges put together by an Irish collector and this is the same size as yours 30mm.

The two I have in my collection are also 30mm wide see attached photos of one of these.

Whether these are contemporary or not is up for debate, however they are all consistently smaller than other original badges and being solid are most definitely cast.  

Also attached is a close up of the badge that features in a 1914 post card and is most definitely an original type.

medals_badge_flat_back.jpg

SIH_right_stalk.jpg

P1130068_SIH_flat_back_lugs_30mm_obverse.JPG

P1130069_SIH_flat_back_lugs_30mm_reverse.JPG

sih_badge_1914.jpg

Ah great stuff. Thats interesting. One of the lugs has been repaired on this. Was thinking it could be a collar badge either? I have a SIH photo (featuring my gg grandfather) and I see some of them wearing SIH badges on the collar. Thanks very much for your help anyway Doug!

IMG_20211112_212010.jpg.000b804d709e12ca1b32992e9fe024ce.jpg

Mate,

Of all the British Regts that washed up into the Camel Corps I have only one man so far found was from the SIH;

I know little on him or how he came to the ICC

Jamieson    William    50244    Pte    Tos 7Co 7-16 WIA 28-3-18 (minor) at Amman Ex South Irish Horse (785) and Corps of Hussars (50244)

I have few Irish soldiers show up in the ICC

Harries    David J.    51040    Pte    Tos possibly 5Co? 5-16 shown 5Co to UK leave 2-19 Ex 1/5 Welsh Regt (2511) & (6Bn) Royal Irish Rifles and Corps of Hussars    
Duggan    William Emanuel    51468    Pte    shown ICC possibly Tos Ex (6Bn) Royal Irish Rifles (1/40956) and Camel Corps Egyptian Army    
Gribben    Joseph    130888    Pte    Tos 26 MG Sqn (265 MG Co) Ex (6Bn) Royal Irish Rifles (5/5745) and MGC (cav)    (Not confirmed ICC)
Baxter    Sidney    592981    Pte    shown att to 2Bn at Amman killed at Amman Ex 1/18th (County of London) Battalion (London Irish Rifles) (5619) (502081)    KIA 30-3-18
Blythe    Herbert John        2/Lt    Tos 9Co 3-18 to hosp 7-18 rtn 9Co 8-18 shown to 7Co 10-18 Ex 2Bn Royal Irish Rifles (40857)    
Rose    Frederick William        A/Capt    possibly ICC? Ex Royal Fusiliers (GS/19665) prom 2/Lt (6Bn) Royal Irish Rifles to Indian Army Reserve     (Not confirmed ICC)

S.B

17 hours ago, stevebecker said:

Mate,

Of all the British Regts that washed up into the Camel Corps I have only one man so far found was from the SIH;

I know little on him or how he came to the ICC

Jamieson    William    50244    Pte    Tos 7Co 7-16 WIA 28-3-18 (minor) at Amman Ex South Irish Horse (785) and Corps of Hussars (50244)
S.B

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that, he turns out to be Scottish Horse as confirmed on his MIC.  A 785 number in the SIH would put his enlistment back in August 1913.

For those with Ancestry here are the links: https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=1262&h=3873508&ssrc=pt&tid=169155594&pid=282329820981&usePUB=true

https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=1262&h=3873509&ssrc=pt&tid=169155594&pid=282329820981&usePUB=true

Jamieson_William_Scot_Hse_785_C_Of_Hrs_50244.JPG

Mate,

Thank you, but I am not on that Site.

Does it say where he came from in Ireland and or any details on his service or life

Interesting you mention Scottish Horse (I wonder how he got there from the SIH) as he is show with those men who came from that Unit.

Kerr    John    50240    Cpl    Tos 7Co 7-16 WIA 27-3-18 at Amman Ex Scottish Horse Yeo (876) and Corps of Hussars
Douglas    James    50241    Pte    Tos 7Co 7-16 Ex Scottish Horse Yeo (1103) and Corps of Hussars shown in Rory Moore's news lettter
Rose    Alexander C    50242    Pte    Tos 7Co ICC 7-16 to Sgt WIA 27-3-18 at Amman Ex Scottish Horse Yeo (1462) and Corps of Hussars to Royal Highlanders (316053)
Millar    William    50243    Pte    Tos 7Co ICC 7-16 Ex Scottish Horse Yeo (295) and Corps of Hussars
Jamieson    William    50244    Pte    Tos 7Co 7-16 WIA 28-3-18 (minor) at Amman Ex South Irish Horse (785) to Scottish Horse Yeo and Corps of Hussars (50244)
Blyth    Francis    50245    Pte    Tos 7Co 7-16 Ex Scottish Horse Yeo (1118) and Corps of Hussars
MacDonald    John    50246    Pte    Tos 7Co ICC 7-16 Ex Scottish Horse Yeo (5056) and Corps of Hussars shown Camel Corps (Medal Index cards) 
Young    Thomas F    50247    Pte    Tos 7Co ICC 7-16 Ex Scottish Horse Yeo (1477) and Corps of Dragoons
Bryson    James    50248    Pte    Tos 7Co 7-16 Ex Scottish Horse Yeo (4065) and Corps of Hussars
Curran    John    50249    Pte    Tos 7Co 7-16 WIA 28-3-18 (minor) at Amman Ex Scottish Horse Yeo (6697) and Corps of Hussars
Craig    James    50250    Pte    Tos 7Co 7-16 WIA 28-3-18 Ex 1/1st Ayrshire Yeo (1642) to 12Bn Royal Scots Fusiliers (295106)

The 7th Company ICC was raised from the Infantry but these men were found to be bad riders so the company was disbanded and reformed from the Scottish Yeomanry.

31-5-16  7Co (54 Div (East Anglian) - 161 Bde - (1/4 to 1/17 Essex Regt, 162 Bde - 1/5 Bedford, 1/4 Northampton & 1/10 to 1/11 London Regt, 163 Bde - 1/4 to 1/5 Norfolk, 1/5 Suffolk & 1/8 Hampshire Regt) arrived ICC depot

28-6-16   7Co (54 Div)  disbanded

4-7-16   new 7Co under Capt Gregorey (1st (Highland Yeomanry) Mtd Bde - 1/1 Scottish Horse, 1/1 Ayrshire, 1/1 Lanark, 1/1 Fife & Forfar, 1/1 & 1/2 Lovat Scouts and Lothians Yeo) arrived ICC depot

11-9-16  7Co under Capt Gregory (5 officers 129 men 134 camels) left ICC depot to Canal to join 1st Camel Bn  (2ic Lt Orchardson - Lt Deas - Lt Newsam - other officer not confirmed)

Cheers
S.B

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Steve,

Took me a while to get back to you, there are no additional records for William Jamieson, I've attached his MIC taken from The National Archives linked here for you. https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D3594979 
He's top right and bottom left of the six men shown.

I think the SIH angle is a red herring and some form of typo in the admin section, it's clearly corrected on his MIC to show correct unit Sco Horse, as noted in my previous. Additionally I've no further information on where he came from as it's too common a name to make any further research possible without any other pointers..

WO-372-10-200579.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/01/2008 at 21:10, MrDave said:

As I thought my father has a picture of the South Irish Horse and we are pretty sure it was taken in Limerick. We don't know the year but there are about 200 men in the picture. The detail on the original is quite good, they appear to have a dog as a mascot, the guys at the front are holding whips and a few of the guys appear to have different coloured uniforms. There is also a member of sitting on the roof, and he has a SIH emblem on his cap!

I took this picture of it with my digital camera and Dad will try and get it scanned properly in the next few days. He thinks his father is about 10 men in from the left in the front row.

limerick.jpg

Hi Dave,

If you're still on the forum I wonder did you ever get a chance to scan that photo? I can't seem to access the jpg you posted back in '08. My great grandfather Pte. Michael Connell (1986) (later 25162 RIR) enlisted in Limerick in 1916, so would be great to search this photo for him! 

Meanwhile fyi I have posted a family photo of him and other SIH men at this link.

All the best,
Andrew

)