Great War Forum
David_Blanchard

Aisne- Chemin des Dames Battle May- June 1918

David_Blanchard

Hi Stephen,

not sure if there are any services in this country- but I have posted here about a service at 10 30 at La Ville aux Bois on the Aisne 27 May.

David 

David_Blanchard

Sorry Stephen - miss read your post. Where will you be staying on 27 May?

David 

Stephen Boshier

Many thanks for your response David. I will be staying for three nights in Rheims; the 26th, 27th and 28th.

My message to you was the first time I have used this forum. It is taking me some time to find out how it all works.

Steve

David_Blanchard

Stephen,

Hope to see you at the ceremony on 27 May

David 

Frajohn
On 9 May 2018 at 11:39, David_Blanchard said:

Hi Stephen,

not sure if there are any services in this country- but I have posted here about a service at 10 30 at La Ville aux Bois on the Aisne 27 May.

David 

David

I cannot see the details of the ceremony on May 27th. Please could you post the details.

Many thanks

Kind regards

John

David_Blanchard

These are the details I was given about 3 weeks ago:

The plan (to be confirmed after a Regimental Trustees meeting tomorrow) is that we will all get together at about 1030 hrs on the 27th in front of the 2nd Devons memorial at Ville aux Bois les Pontavert (also close to the 5 Bty plaque, of course). I have put together an Order of Service, although my plan is for it to minimally religious (not least because we have no chaplain!) It consists of an introduction by the senior Rifles Officer (Maj Gen Rupert Jones - son of 'H' - both former Devon and Dorsets) and then a series of about 8 short readings by members who are on parade. The readings are quotes by individuals who survived the battle. I have earmarked one "spot" for a Gunner - at the moment an account by "a battery commander" who met the CO of 2nd Devons before the position was completely overrun. I could increase this to 2 quite easily as long as they are short and to the point. We will have a number of fairly aged people on parade and I don't want them to have to stand still for too long - I was thinking about 30 minutes total. After the readings, I thought we should have a prayer, the Lord's Prayer, Last Post, Reveille, Regimental Marches and National Anthems. 

If there is a longer text to present, I think it would be best to do it during the walk over the battlefield in the afternoon.

I am in consultation, through the British Embassy in Paris, with a local caterer who will produce a light buffet/glass of wine for 200 attendees immediately after the parade - at present, for simplicity, the Devon and Dorsets are paying for it all centrally (some £3,000) (includes hire of cutlery etc and use of a "hanger" nearby so I'm hoping to get some sort of donation from other groups..... 

I hope this brings you up to speed with plans so far and I look forward to receiving any comments.

Best Wishes,

Geoff Nicholls 

Frajohn

Thank you David for the information.

I would appreciate it if you would post any updates. Also,  is it OK to attend the ceremony or do we have to notify anybody?

Kind regards

John

David_Blanchard

Hi John,

I would assume sure it would be fine attending the ceremony - the more the merrier I guess.

David 

Stephen Boshier

Thanks David for all the information. My brothers and I will make our way the service on the 27th. I look forward to meeting you there.

Steve

Robin Garrett

On the 6 June, 1/4KSLI, 56 Bde, 19 Div counter-attacked up the Montagne de Bligny, led by Lt Bright. The valour of their attack was recognised by the French with the award of the Croix de Guerre avec Palme. The ribbon was worn on the arm by all ranks of 4KSLI until it was disbanded in 1968. The Shropshire Regiments' Museum describes the action - see http://www.shropshireregimentalmuseum.co.uk/regimental-history/volunteers-territorial-and-militia/4th-territorial-battalion-ksli-bligny-and-the-croix-de-guerre/.

I shall be there on the centenary.

David_Blanchard

I wish I could join you but I return from the Aisne 2 June

Robin Garrett

Here's a photo of Bright as a captain.

Capt Bright.jpg

David_Blanchard

Great photograph thanks for sharing 

Alex Helstrip

Hello. I will be visiting the Battlefield site this Sunday for the centenary of the Battle. I am particularly interested in 2nd Battalion Rifle Brigade and their movements. I have been able to identify their whereabouts (Berry au Bac) on a map at the beginning of the 27th  but I would like to know if there was anything 'relevant' there to look out for in that part of the Battlefield while I am there.

Thank You

Stephen Boshier
On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 17:57, Stephen Boshier said:

Thanks David for all the information. My brothers and I will make our way the service on the 27th. I look forward to meeting you there.

Steve

david

I have been contacted by someone who is involved with a memorial service in Wantage on the 27th May. George Boshier was formerly of the Berkshire Yeomanry before 1/4 East Yorks. The inquiry was whether any of our family could attend. Unfortunately, we are all attending the Rheims area that day.

I note a prior post in 2006 from someone connected with George Boshier (possibly a Richard Boshier? who was a great nephew) to whom you replied. Is it possible you still have this contact and if so, are you able to pass-on the invitation? I realise it's along shot. Many thanks,

Steve

David_Blanchard

Hi Steve,

I think that must be Richard Vincent.

I will pm you his email.

David

David_Blanchard
19 hours ago, Alex Helstrip said:

Hello. I will be visiting the Battlefield site this Sunday for the centenary of the Battle. I am particularly interested in 2nd Battalion Rifle Brigade and their movements. I have been able to identify their whereabouts (Berry au Bac) on a map at the beginning of the 27th  but I would like to know if there was anything 'relevant' there to look out for in that part of the Battlefield while I am there.

Thank You

Hello Alex,

There is not anything for you to see per sae the positions held by the Rifle Brigade- as I would guess this area is now just open fields but it would be relatively easy to locate about a mile from La Cholera Crossroads (Tank Memorial) on the road to Juvincourt.

Regards

David

Stephen Boshier
24 minutes ago, David_Blanchard said:

Hi Steve,

I think that must be Richard Vincent.

I will pm you his email.

David

Thanks David. I'll let you know how I get on.

Steve

Alex Helstrip

To David Blanchard

Thank you for your reply to my enquiry concerning the 2nd Battalion Rifle Brigade. I noticed in an earlier message on this blog that there is to be a memorial service and Battlefield walk arranged for the day of the centenary on Sunday. I wondered if these events would be open for any one to attend. I made the decision to visit the Battlefield some time ago but feel I haven't been able to do much in the way of research in the interim on what to actually do and look for when I get there.

Regards

Alex Helstrip

David_Blanchard
14 minutes ago, Alex Helstrip said:

To David Blanchard

Thank you for your reply to my enquiry concerning the 2nd Battalion Rifle Brigade. I noticed in an earlier message on this blog that there is to be a memorial service and Battlefield walk arranged for the day of the centenary on Sunday. I wondered if these events would be open for any one to attend. I made the decision to visit the Battlefield some time ago but feel I haven't been able to do much in the way of research in the interim on what to actually do and look for when I get there.

Regards

Alex Helstrip

I am sure it would be ok if you attended, given your interest in the Rifle Brigade.

David