Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aisne- Chemin des Dames Battle May- June 1918

David_Blanchard

Daniel- thanks very much for the interesting information from the German perspective. Do you known Herbert Sulzbach's account 'With the German Guns' he was an artillery officer who took part in this attack as well?

David

Hi David,

Not as of yet, but that book certainly is on my list!

One thing I hope to do someday, if it is even possible, is figure out where that orphanage is in my grandfather's photo and perhaps see if that spot can still be found today. I have been trying to do that for some years now but with no success. I hope maybe one day someone might recognize the scene and answer that question. Who knows?

-Daniel

A brief mention of the trench raid in 'Belfast Boys' but nothing as detailed as the MC account.

Nigel,

I would be happy to provide you with some pictures. David sent me a good one of the 9th Battalion. Since I never met JF Stevenson (he died long before I was born) I had to ask my Dad to identify him from photos we've got (which had no annotations). I do have his passport photo and I could probably dig out a couple more.

I may also have a few questions for you about Newtownbreda and the local Presbyterian community etc. I'll send you my email address in a PM.

By the way, J F Stevenson was chair of the Belfast Harbour Commission in later life. I was watching a program on the television the other night which mentioned all previous chairmen had had their portraits done, and these were all hanging at the Harbour Office. I've a letter from the Belfast Harbour Commissioners dated 6th October 1967 to Mrs J. F. Stevenson which says, "like you, we would prefer the photograph of Mr Stevenson holding his pipe, and are accordingly arranging for it to be framed, with a suitable inscription." It sounds like he never had his portrait painted, but they must have his photo hanging somewhere - I can't find any mention of it on the internet though.

Matthew

• 5 months later...

QUOTE (David_Blanchard @ May 27 2009, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Remembered today all who died in this battle.David,Just got back from our second visit to the beautiful Vendresse Cemetry, visiting (and laying a white rose on) the grave of my wife's great uncle, Serjeant Francis Lyons DCM of the 5th Green Howards, buried beside his CO, Lt Col JAR Thomson DSO. Both Malton men who (I guess) were the remnants of the original Bn that landed in France in 1915. We tripped over a commemorative stone to him in the catholic cemetry in Malton a few years back, it mentioned that he died at Craonne on 27th May 1918, thus started my fascination with the Aisne battles of 1914 and 1918 (the latter always seem so poignant). It is also such a beautiful part of France and you can just imagine the men of IX Corps detraining and their sense of relief when arriving there from Flanders in 1918, only to be so cruelly disabused so soon after. I too share your sense of disappointment/shame (I am a serving Army officer) that these significant and costly battles are so badly remembered or known about - very disappointed (but not surprised!) that so little is mentioned locally on the Chemin des Dames too. Your research is so important and you really must publish and if I can assist - let me know. In any case, I am hugely interested, especially in the 5th Yorkshires. Only on our second visit was I able to work out the reference to how Thomson and the remnants of his Bn HQ/HQ Coy met their end after a very gallant fight on the Californie Plateau (a very moving diary entry from Brig Rees, Comd 150 Bde to his last landline conversation with Thomson - p280 of "1918 a Very British Victory" by Peter Hart). It refers to them being caught by a machine gun from Craonne and on my first visit I thought Craonne a bit too far for effective small arms fire; however on my second visit I realised that the original Craonne, now ruined, is a stones throw from the rear of the Plateau. My guess is Francis Lyons was in that small group with Thomson, there are about 5 or 6 young Yorkshires buried together with them in Vendresse. Anything you can add to this thread gratefully recieved. It has become an annual family homage and I certainly sound off about teh Aisne battles whenever I can at work - especially when Green Howards are present - we really must generate some interest and research. Many thanks fro the insights your thread has given me - really got me worked up. RegardsDavid

For further clarification, I am trying to contact David Kelly with regards to Francis William Lyons DCM. I would be extremely grateful if anyone could provide any further information.

Hi everyone

I'm new here! Can anyone tell me how I can contact members directly please?

Many thanks

Ash

Click on your user name on the top-right of the screen, then click on Personal Messenger.

Ash, David Kelly (Post 219) only made that one post and hasn't been back to the forum since 2009..... (thinks.... not THAT David Kelly of WMD issue?)

The only way would be if some Pal had his contact details, or failing that, perhaps contacting the Moderators with your request may be the only way to establish contact

.Have you tried tracing him via facebook, twitter, Linked In etc?

Perhaps a new thread with Francis William Lyons DCM in the title may get better attention.

Hope you succeed!

• 4 months later...

Thanks Susan. It has been a while, and with all the other books commissioned for the centenary, the process of publication has been more drawn out than anticipated.

David

• 1 month later...

A German Memorial card for a soldier killed on the 27th May 1918. He served in the 16th Bavarian Reserve Infantry Regiment, the same unit as Adolf Hitler:

6260611862_75a698854c_o.jpg

According to the Order of Battle Order of German Infantry Units: 27th May 1918 and given Adolf Hitler served with the 16th Bavarian Reserve Infanterie Regiment, is it feasible that he was involved in the Third Battle of the Aisne ? I have searched the Internet without finding any documentary evidence.

7th Army: General von Boehn

Corps Larish

6th Bavarian Reserve Division: Trench Division

25th Bavarian Infanterie Regiment

16th Bavarian Reserve Infanterie Regiment

20th Bavarian Reserve Infanterie Regiment

Interesting possibility maybe !

My book on the Aisne Battle is due out early next year and can be pre-ordered here

http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Aisne-1918-Paperback/p/7937

David

Congratulations also from me and I eagerly await the 15th Jan 2015 ! Is it better for you if it is ordered through Pen & Sword or Amazon with its 'free' postage ?

KR

Malcolm

• 1 month later...

I am new to this forum and have been absorbed by the content - fantastic work.

I am interested in researching 3rd Battalion, Worcestershire Regiment around 27 May 1918.

Can anyone share any details or pointers to information. I already have the war diary from TNA which doesn't provide too much info.

Additionally, I will taking a party to Soissons this summer. Does anyone have any local contacts on the ground who could provide some guidance to the local area.

Any help greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

My great grand uncle Francis Burt was in the 1st Worcestershire Regiment #36563

He was taken as a POW on 27 May 1918 and sent to Muenster POW camp.

His two sons are still alive (one is 92 and the other is 87) and they sent me some amazing stuff I wanted to share (and I had a question or two as well) but I cannot find out how to upload a pic from my computer... help??

• 3 months later...

New book on the Aisne 1918 Battle- by David Blanchard- available as of yesterday. Thanks again to all forumites who have helped make this book possible, and especially those who have contributed to this thread.

image.jpg1_zpsnglljmkt.jpg

New book on the Aisne 1918 Battle- by David Blanchard- available as of yesterday. Thanks again to all forumites who have helped make this book possible, and especially those who have contributed to this thread.

image.jpg1_zpsnglljmkt.jpg

Congrats David.

Will this be available in Canada??

I am really not sure- but it should be available on Amazon US, I would think.

Thanks Daniel. I hope you can get hold of a copy in the US.

Actually there was more I wanted to add- and had to cut about 6,000 words - but it is still one of the longest Battleground books at 280 pages.

If you follow twitter my user account about the Aisne battle can be found here @foxton44

Regards

David

• 4 months later...
Guest Respect2WW1

I think I may have posted in one of these topics before; my Nan's nephew 57344 Pte Thomas Symonds died at (we think) the 3rd Battle of Aisne on 27th May 1918, aged 19. he was in the 3rd Bat Worcestershire reg. He was originally buried at Jonchery Survesle cemetery but then re-interred at Chambrecy British Cemetery in Marne. I don't have any photos of him in the army or any further info. His 2 brothers were also fighting in WW1 - Walter and William, all from Kiddington in Oxfordshire. The older brothers made in home, although William was wounded in the leg by a fellow soldier discharging his rifle while cleaning it (for which he was court-marshalled). I will be doing a battlefield tour next year and visiting his grave - the first and only relative ever to have visited it, so I am honoured and humbled. Any info welcomed!