Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aisne- Chemin des Dames Battle May- June 1918

David_Blanchard

Just to get this topic up and running again I attach the Introduction to my MPhil which I completed in 2005 on the Aisne Battle of 1918. If anyone has any comments please share them on this thread.

A recent find on the Worcester Regiment Website:

Sergeant Reginald Lewis Isaac of the 3rd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment

Wounded on the 27th May 1918 at the village of village of Concevreux, during the Battle of the Aisne and died the following day 28th May 1918.

photo submitted by Peter Hurn (son of the nephew of Reginald Lewis Isaac)

http://www.worcestershireregiment.com/wr.php?main=inc/photo_ASgt_R_L_Isaac

Regards

David

Introduction Aug v 1.doc

A free book download concerned with the 4th Northumberland Fusiliers on the Aisne can be found here:

When the Lantern of Hope Burned Low. (January 1, 1919)

A free book download concerned with the 4th Northumberland Fusiliers on the Aisne can be found here:

When the Lantern of Hope Burned Low. (January 1, 1919)

My link

A medal auction from 2006:

Information concerning Captain W N J Moscrop who served with 5th Durham Light Infantry on the Aisne and was killed on 27th May 1918.

http://www.dnw.co.uk/medals/auctionarchive/viewspecialcollections/itemdetail.lasso?itemid=50989

This website also contains a photograph.

A Great War M.C. group of four to Captain W. N. J. Moscrop, late Durham Light Infantry, who was killed in action at Maizy, in the Battle of the Aisne, 27 May 1918

Military Cross, G.V.R., unnamed, in case of issue; 1914-15 Star (Lieut., Durh. L.I.); British War and Victory Medals (Capt.) extremely fine (4) £1400-1600

Footnote

M.C. London Gazette 1 January 1917.

M.I.D. London Gazette 1 January 1916.

William Noel Jobson Moscrop was born on 16 January 1892, the son of William Jobson Moscrop of Ashcroft, Darlington. Educated at Durham School, he was training to be an architect when the war intervened. He was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant in the 5th (Territorial) Battalion Durham Light Infantry on 9 August 1913, holding the rank of Temporary Lieutenant, August 1914-May 1915. He entered the France/Flanders theatre of war with the 1st/5th Battalion on 18 April 1915 and was promoted to Lieutenant on 15 May of that year. Holding the rank of Temporary Captain, September 1916-August 1917, he remained in the theatre of war until a fever required him to take sick leave to England in November 1916, by which time his services, which included the 2nd Ypres, Kemmel and the Somme, had merited the award of the Military Cross and mention in despatches. He returned to France in February 1917, rejoining the 1/5th Battalion in the field in March of that year. Attached to 50 Division H.Q. on 23 June 1917 and was promoted Captain on 12 August 1917. Posted then to 150 Brigade H.Q. on 1 January 1918, he returned to front-line service with the 1st/5th Battalion D.L.I. on 1 May 1918, serving as Adjutant. In March 1918 he was granted a permanent commission in the Royal Fusiliers; a position however, he was destined never to take up. He was serving with the the 1st/5th D.L.I., based at Maizy when the Germans launched the opening attack of the battle of the Aisne, on 27 May 1918. He was reported missing in action on that day and later presumed killed. He was confirmed as killed when his and other graves were discovered in 1919 - the location indicating that he and his group of men died fighting whilst covering the bridge at the south end of Maizy. Captain Moscrop’s body was then reburied in Vendresse British Cemetery. Sold with copied research.

Another website contains the story of Rev George Bernard Hamilton Bishop- Chaplain to the 6th Durham Light Infantry killed on the Aisne 27th May 1918:

There is also a portrait photograph.

6349509475_75d221c9a3_o.jpg

http://cardington.org.uk/Wardead/GBHBishop.html

THE REVD. GEORGE BERNARD HAMILTON BISHOP was Vicar of Cardington, and was presented to the Living in 1914, having been ordained in 1911. He had been an enthusiastic Volunteer, and had served in the Durham University OTC (where he was a member of the Guard of Honour at the Coronation of King George V ) and The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry. He was Diocesan Secretary for the A & E Churches Union and an author on religion in Russia.

He attended the King's School, Gloucester, and Durham University where he was a rowing coach. He was highly praised in a report into a boating accident on 24 February 1911 for his actions which were responsible for the saving of a man's life.

However, in July 1917 he was appointed an Army Chaplain (4th Class). His last signature as Vicar in the St. James Church Registers was on 14 January 1917 when he officiated at the baptism of Ernest Alfred Pugh of Upper Farm Enchmarsh.

He was killed in action on 27 May 1918 whilst attached as Chaplain to the 6th Battalion The Northumberland Fusiliers. This was during an artillery bombardment of the trenches to which they were subjected at about 10-00 am, at Concevreux. This was the opening move of the Third Battle of the Aisne, when the German forces launched a large attack and carried the Chein des Dames ridge.

An impressive German Photo Album was offered for sale this week on Ebay which I sadly failed to win. This concerns the German attack on the 27th May on the area of the Allied line occupied by the French. If anyone is able to translate the German on the reverse of the images I would be very grateful.

It is well worth having a look at:

My link

Regards

David

Private George Frederick Wallace East Yorks Regiment No.201859 link to website: Wounded on the Aisne on the 27th May.

My link

• 2 weeks later...

I am searching about the 4th South Staffords of the 7th Bgde, 25th Division , 27th May 18.

I suppose their location was near Cormicy ?

Does anyone have published documents/diary or sketches/maps ?

I just see that an history of the 4th Battalion was published.

Thanks a lot

Florent

Hi all,

Per my grandfather's Militärpaß I see the following entry:

28.5.-1.6.18: Verfolgungskämpfe zwische Oise und Aisne

Would you say that then he was present for this battle? I'm afraid that is as specific as I can get at the moment. He was at that time attached to Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 43 at that time. I have the Unit History for FAR 43 but do not have the skill at reading German at present to make heads or tails of it. I also have listed in his Militärpaß where his unit was operating before and after the above entry, if that is helpful.

Thanks,

Daniel

Welcome back David ! (missed you !!!)

And thanks for the new material about the participation of brit. soldiers in this battle ...

Gil

John William Glen 29611 8th border

From ICRC Attestation, my grandfather : captured 27.05.1918 Chemin des Dames,

Places of detention : Prisoner of war in German hands in Cassel, coming from front (according to a list dated 02.09.1918)

Detained in Crossen, coming from Cassel (according to a list dated 25.10.1918)

What I wanted to ask, was there any pattern to how P.o.W 's were picked up, from this Battle, and who or what decided where they were sent., has anyone done a study on this.

Hello,

I wish I knew as well, both my grandfather and great uncle were taken prisoner on the 27th May. From my great uncle's bible he was taken prisoner at Pontavert, he served in the 5th Northumberland Fusiliers. Having looked at a number of sources I am still unsure which camp in Germany he was sent to.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting item found in Australian Newspaper with regard to French Strategy on the Aisne:

My link

It appears that Clemenceau deliberately allowed the Allied front on the Aisne to collapse to lure the Germans to the Aisne where they were defeated.

Another extract from an Australian Newspaper, based on a story from the Daily Telegraph detailing the exploits of a Durham Light Infantry officer taken prisoner on the Aisne, meeting the Kaiser in a British Hospital captured by the Germans and his subsequent experiences in a German POw camp.

My link

Following on from this a weblink to a postcard of the Kaiser's visit to the Mont Notre Dames CCS 17th June 1918

My link

Cambridge Trinity College War Memorial

CHANCE Edward Seton Captain,

Brevet Major, 2nd Dragoon Guards, Queen’s Bay, attached as Commanding Officer 6th Leicestershire Regiment, died 29th May 1918 aged 36. Son of Sir Frederick William Chance, K.B.E.) and Lady Mary Seton Chance, of Morton, Carlisle. Commemorated on the Soissons Memorial, France.

And from Family Search Community Trees:

EDUCATION: Charterhouse, 1895-1900.

MILITARY: Appointed 2nd Lieutenant, Royal Artillery, 1901; promoted Lieutenant, 1904; Lieutenant, Royal Welsh Fussiliers, 1906; promoted Captain, Royal Welsh Fusiliers, 1912; transferred to 2nd Dragoon Guards, 1912; Adjutant, 2nd Dragoon Guards, 1913; General Staff Officer (3rd-Grade), Coast Defence, Eastern Command, 1912; Dragoon Guards, attached to Leicestershire Regiment.

MILITARY: Battles and War> Served in WW 1 from 1914-1918. Severely wounded at Nery, France, 1914.

DEATH: Killed in action.

CRADDOCK Douglas Vaughan Lewis

Born 26 Nov 1894 in Hong Kong

Educated at Rossall (1908-1912), during which he was in the OTC

Commissioned into 9 DLI (Oct 1914)

Seconded to Signal Section RE (1916) and served in 50th Divisional Signals

My understanding is that he served as battalion signals officer until 9 DLI was reduced to cadre in Feb 1918, then with 6/8 DLI until his capture.

Captured 27 May 1918 at Beaurieux

* Hirson (Rastatt)

* Karlsruhe-Offiziere Camp from at least 1 Jul 1918

* Starlsund-Danholm Camp from at least 20 Jul 1918

Repatriated 30 Dec 1918

(Information on PoW camps acquired from the International Committee of the Red Cross)

According to my mother (DVLC's daughter), he was bayoneted in the foot and was cared for my a fellow prisoner because the Germans refused to treat him (but this was after he kicked out at the German doctor who was trying to help!). In the transit camp (Karlsruhe?) he was invited to write down an account of his life, then to throw it into a wastepaper bin - apparently to help him to get over the capture etc; he - along with everyone else who was asked to do likewise - refused.

My grandfather was over 6ft 7in tall - it's surprising that he managed to survive more than three years in the trenches.

A group of British soldiers from the 1st Worcestershire Regiment, taken prisoner at Juvincourt 27th May 1918, seen here with their captors. (Thanks to Stebie9173 and SFayers for help with the identification of this unit:)

Forum Link

6343166935_e9438967a6_b.jpg

• 4 months later...

7th Field Company, Royal Engineers 27 May 1918

The 50th Divisional Engineers - the Field Companies of the 50th Division had similar experiences. Cut off from telegraphic communication and overwhelmed by the bombardment, the R.E units were left to their own devices. A part from the demolition of bridges, there was no opportunity to do any work. Sections became scattered and Companies reduced to skeletons.

The 7th Field Company (Major W. F. Baldwin) was under warning to occupy a strong point in the reserve line in the event of the enemy penetrating the front. But before the messenger from the C.R.E., carrying the order to move forward reached the Company, the heavy concentration of gas shell had put a large number of men out of action. Major Baldwin, waiting for orders to move up, sent 2nd Lieutenant H. G. Pottle to reconnoitre, and while parading his three sections (the fourth was at Beaurieux working on Divisional Headquarters) he was killed by shrapnel. By this time the Germans were advancing through the woods on all sides and the Company had to retire without being able to reach it's battle position. Pottle was wounded and sent back; the Company Sergeant Major and many others were killed and the sections were overwhelmed.

Captain F. J. Slattery, who had taken over the command when Major Baldwin was killed, and Lieutenant H. F. Sharpe were wounded and captured together with all the survivors of the three sections except a few men under 2nd Lieutenant M. H. King who got back to the Company lines. Only No 2 section under Lieutenant W. H. Rebbeck, clearing roads at Beautieux remained intact. This section received orders to retire with the infantry to Maisy, South of the Aisne.

The 447th (Northumbrian) Field Company (Major A. G. Rainsford-Hannay) fared even worse. It was in the forward area, on the Craonne Plateau when the bombardment began and was overwhelmed and cut off when the Germans penetrated on the eastern side. Only one man got back during the day to report himself at Headquarters of the C.R.E.

The 466th Field Company (Major McClellan) was disposed along the river bridges along the Aisne. Out of sixteen bridges fourteen were destroyed, but not without casualties amounting to four Officers and forty six other ranks.

The total R.E. casualties on the 27th of May in the 50th Division alone amounted to 13 Officers and 281 other ranks, more than two thirds of their strength at the beginning of the day.

Here is a photo of Lieutenant Colonel, A.G. Rainsford-Hannay, DSO, OBE, Royal Engineers and Kaimakam (Colonel) Egyptian Army, who was commander of the 447th Field Company and was taken prisoner on 27th May 1918 with his Company being effectively wiped out.(Photo taken whilst still a Lieutenant).

post-57213-0-64677700-1334382021.jpg

More information with regard to the 7th Field Coy Royal Engineers

Margate War Memorial Website

BALDWIN W. F.

Major William Frederick Baldwin MC, DCM, MM, Croix de Guerre, 7th Field Coy, Royal Engineers

Killed in action on 27th May 1918, aged 23. He was born at Hackney and was an Old Boy of Margate College. Before enlisting in September 1914, he was a member of the staff of the Borough Engineer‟s Department and lived with his widowed mother at Albert Terrace. He enlisted in the London Regt and was awarded the Military Medal whilst serving as a Corporal in that regiment. He transferred to the Royal Engineers (73rd Field Coy) and was awarded both the Croix de Guerre by the French President and the Distinguished Conduct Medal for conspicuous service at the Battle of Loos in 1915 whilst serving with the rank of Sergeant. The citation for his DCM reads: “For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. When his section commander had been killed he led his section from the commencement of the assault on the enemy trenches, cut the wire, and led them through in the attack. He was wounded in the leg on the day.” He was commissioned in December 1915 and was subsequently awarded the Military Cross, for which the citation reads: “For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty in handling his company. At short notice, and with limited means at his disposal, he successfully completed a long line of posts during the night, and held them until fully manned by other troops. His coolness and gallant conduct in action were most marked. Though often working with tired troops, he invariably got a great deal of work done, and was always ready to deal efficiently with changing situations.” His many awards for gallantry made him Margate‟s most decorated serviceman on the Roll of Honour.

Interred at Terlincthun British Cemetery, Wimille, Pas de Calais, France

• 6 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

The Nicholson War Memorial, Leek, Staffordshire.

SERGEANT HAROLD BIRCHENOUGH (91909)

name-on-memorial.jpg

Birchenough%20Harold%20photo%20of.jpg

15th Battalion, The Durham Light Infantry.

Killed in action, Monday, 27th May, 1918, aged 21.

Within the memorial itself is a memorial cabinet to Sgt Harry Birchenough. The text below is from that cabinet and some of the documents are available to view below.

http://www.nicholsonmemorial.org.uk/Navigation/Fallen/Stories/Harry%20Birchenough.html

MaskalJWeb.jpg

Private Joseph Maskall

10th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment. Son of Rosetta and Charles Maskall, of78 Cromer Street, Gray's Inn Road,London. Joseph was born in St Pancras, London. He was killed in action 28th May 1918. Age 20. Joseph has no known grave and is remembered on the Soissons Memorial to the missing.

Photo supplied by Ray Maskall

Information for Joseph Maskell:

Thanks for pointing this out to Stebie9173, on a previous thread:

William Herbert Denton and John Sidney Denton of Rushden were identical twins (born 2 Nov 1890) - both were commissioned as a Second Lieutenants in the Northamptonshire Regiment on 4th January 1916, and both were promoted to Lieutenant in November 1917, effective 4th July 1917 (effectively 18 month promotions). They both joined the 2nd Northamptons on 26th April 1918. Both were posted Missing on the Aisne on 27th May 1918, spending the rest of the war confusing German prison guards in camp parades. The only minor difference was that William was in "B" Company and John in "C". Both relinquished their commissions on 30 September 1921.

http://www.rushdenhe...Cricketers.html

Both were county cricketers, as was their younger brother Don (Arthur Donald) who didn't let the "inconvenience" of losing a leg during the war stop him playing cricket (with a runner, of course) after the war.