The only information held by CWGC on this French soldier is

Louis Eugene RENAULT

Died 04.06.16

Grave 8.A.20

254808[/snapback]

Not too much...

Thanks for your help anyway :)

• 1 month later...

N.S.Regt. do you own the book M.M. Canadian Recipiants or were you looking at that from the library? I finally managed to get it on loan until the end of this month around June 29th through the inter library loan program through Library Archives Canada. What I was wondering if you might be familiar with the serial numbers in the back of the back how to find out how those serial numbers correspond with the right soldier. I got a copy of the page that Eric James Bate is listed on just want to know how I can go about finding out what the serial number of his M.M. might have been they don't seem to be in any sequential order as far as I can tell it's all over the place. I would like to get that done if it's possible before the book has to go back. Thanks for the help in letting me that he's in that book been finding out other info of where else he is listed. If there's any help that you can give on this I would greatly appreciate it if incase your not sure would you able to refer to someone else who might be familiar with this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again Drafter

The French army has one man name RENAULT LOUIS EUGENE, but strangely he not only has two death certificates (not unusual) but two different dates of birth!

LOUIS EUGENE RENAULT, INTERPRETE STAGIARE (trainee interpreter)

95th Infantry Brigade (5th Division Brigadier)

Class of 1891 Matricule 894

Born Poulay, Mayenne, 10 August 1871

Died 4 June 1916 at Raas (...de Strasbourg)

The second says

LOUIS EUGENE RENAULT, rank illegible, 19th (illegible) Interpreter for Batallion?

Class of 1891, matricule 894,

Killed Arras, by shell burst

Born 10 April 1871, Poulay, Mayenne

Unfirtunately, most regiments/ divisions gave the job of writing the death certificates to the most illiterate person they could find. They are often quite illegible or so full of crossings out and changes (even fundamental changes of name sometimes) that it is often difficult to make out anything.

Sorry, should have added that one certificate says he was domiciled in Paris 11th Arrondissement.

The official judicial declaration of death says that he died on 5 June 1916.

• 3 months later...

Chris

Here are all the details CWGC has...

BOHNEMANN, ALFRED Airman

73-176/66 German Air Force

19/10/1942

Enemy Plot Section 24 Coll. Grave 521.

STOCKER, WILHELM Airman

57359/227 German Air Force

29/06/1943

Enemy Plot Section 24 Grave 531.

SMIT, MEINHARD Airman

73176/95 German Air Force

08/10/1942

Enemy Plot Section 24 Coll. Grave 521. Buried 19.10.1942.

KRAUSE, PAUL WILHELM Airman

51902/15 German Air Force

05/07/1942

Enemy Plot Section 24 Grave 511.

ELBERS, WILHELM Airman

53577/544 German Air Force

07/08/1942

Enemy Plot Section 24 Grave 512.

BLACKERT, D. WILLI Airman

73 176/97 German Air Force

19/10/1942

WENDT, KAROL Sailor

German Navy

15/03/1942

Enemy Plot Section 24 Grave 501.

REINHARDT, JOACHIM Sailor

N 2052/395 German Navy

27/04/1942

Enemy Plot Section 24 Grave 502.

MOLLENHAUER, HELMUT Airman

73176/78 German Air Force

19/10/1942

DIETRICH, ROBERT Sailor

German Navy

07/04/1945

Enemy Plot Section 24 Grave 532.

Terry

many thanks for the info

All The Best

Chris

• 13 years later...
On 11/05/2005 at 12:50, Terry Denham said:

The only information held by CWGC on this French soldier is

Louis Eugene RENAULT

Died 04.06.16

Grave 8.A.20

Unfortunately, TD60's link no longer works, and I cannot see an image of his grave.

What is peculiar is that he does not appear on the current CWGC website search, none of the French do. Weirdly, there is CWGC info on "Lives of the First World War" which does capture the details for a number of Frenchmen.

This man appears on the 1891 Census, as a French Assistant Teacher - Bury New Road, Salford, Lancashire, Archive reference    RG12, Piece number    3213, Folio    70, Page    9.

Also of interest is that he was a D.C.M. winner, his name appearing on War Office list 2. This is kept at Kew within WO 388/6/5 (1914 Oct 20 - 1918 Nov 1 British to foreign: France - List Numbers 1 - 30.) It has been transcribed, and is in a recent publication by Howard Williamson. It states that he is attached to the 95th Infantry Brigade, latterly attached to the 20th (County of London) Battalion (Blackheath and Woolwich) of The London Regiment.

6 hours ago, GrenPen said:

Unfortunately, TD60's link no longer works, and I cannot see an image of his grave.

What is peculiar is that he does not appear on the current CWGC website search, none of the French do. Weirdly, there is CWGC info on "Lives of the First World War" which does capture the details for a number of Frenchmen.

It is possible to view the CWGC's Headstone record for Renault by looking at that given under  one of the adjacent burials (Charles Edmund Taylor in grave VIII. A. 21  https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/575142/taylor,-charles-edmund/#&gid=null&pid=1)  This gives little more information than previously given other than a reference to "(For Particulars of layout misc. (?) etc., See sched S.)", a headstone number of "2638A" & layout of "1S". 

A headstone picture for Renault's grave, provided by the International Wargraves Photography Project, is now available on the Find A Grave website: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/44043818/louis-eugene-renault#view-photo=23190796  Not sure whether the original images of the death certificates given by healdav in Posts 28 & 29 above were available at the time, but they can now be seen under 'Images' on the Mémoire des hommes site at http://www.memoiredeshommes.sga.defense.gouv.fr/en/ark:/40699/m005239fe305f61e

NigelS

Thank you for the detective work, Nigel.

It does seem peculiar that although he clearly has a CWGC headstone, none of the French war dead no longer appear in the CWGC website search. I wonder why that is? 

42 minutes ago, GrenPen said:

It does seem peculiar that although he clearly has a CWGC headstone, none of the French war dead no longer appear in the CWGC website search. I wonder why that is? 

That's one to put to the CWGC. Access to non Commonwealth/foreign nationals' records is still a fairly recent addition, so it might still be work in progress, but as, strictly speaking, it is outside of the CWGC's remit to list these (see post 12 from Terry Denham) we should be very grateful for those that have been made available.

NigelS

It does seem odd that FindMyPast captured a dataset in late 2014 which contains French soldiers - I presume this was exactly the same data available via their website at that time - and yet a search of the revamped CWGC in 2018 does not bring up any French soldiers.