Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Grimsby Chums' Mass grave

Mark Hone

Looking through some old papers while trying to tidy up my study (forlorn hope!) I came across some documents about the discovery in 2001 of a mass grave near Arras, presumed to be members of the 10th Lincolns ('Grimsby Chums'). I got involved in this is a peripheral way as there was a possibility that some of these were men from the Rochdale/Manchester area who had been transferred to the Lincolns and I was interviewed by Radio GMR about it. Did anything ever happen about positive identification of the bodies or subsequent reburial?

Edited by Mark Hone

I've subsequently found a follow up thread in 2005, which reports that they were reinterred in 2002. Can I confirm that they were reburied as complete unknowns by CWGC?

Thanks Paul. I find that rather sad as at least some of them were pretty definitely Lincolns so perhaps some recognition of this should have been made. I know CWGC has to be absolutely certain, though and as your article makes clear, it's all too easy to jump to easy, and possibly incorrect, conclusions in cases like this.

Edited by Mark Hone

I visited Pont-de-Jour Cemetery in September 2004, and could not see any new "Unknown" headstones. Does anyone know if each man got an individual headstone?

It probably only adds to the confusion but one of the 24of the 10th Lincs., who died on the 9th April was one Archie( Arthur Robert) Streets from my home village, listed as K.I.A. and is buried in ROCLINCOURT VALLEY CEMETERY. He incidentally was cousin to John William Streets (Poet) Y & L. K.I.A. 1st, July 1916.