Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Why the 1st Indian Cavalry

Guest Sylviaann

Guest Sylviaann

My grandfather Henry Middleton was in the 1st Indian Cavalry Supply Column. His number was SS3953. His date of Embarkation was 19 November 1914. He later transferred to R.A.S.C. Labour Corps when his number was 300401.

My question is why would he have joined the 1st Indian Cavalry when he lived all his life in East London and why would he transfer. I believe there was a change in the regiments. Does anyone know when this was?

Thank you for any help given

Sylviaann

Sylviaann,

He did not join the '1st Indian cavalry' as such. The "1st Indian Cavalry Supply Column" would be a Army Service Corps unit attached to what is probably really the "1st Indian Cavalry DIVISION Supply Column'.

British & Indian troops were brigaded together.

Yours,

Matthew B.

My grandfather Henry Middleton was in the 1st Indian Cavalry Supply Column. His number was SS3953. His date of Embarkation was 19 November 1914. He later transferred to R.A.S.C. Labour Corps when his number was 300401.

My question is why would he have joined the 1st Indian Cavalry when he lived all his life in East London and why would he transfer. I believe there was a change in the regiments. Does anyone know when this was?

Thank you for any help given

Sylviaann