Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

London Scottish uniform

stu

Can anyone please help me.

Did the London Scottish stop wearing their kilts later in the war,I have seen the famous picture of some of them after Messines in 1914 and they are wearing kilts,but I have also seen what I think is a picture of them in 1916 not wearing kilts,is this correct?

Many thanks

Stu

Stu,

As far as I know they did not stop wearing kilts.

The famous Somme film shows them marching in kilts and Paul Reed once posted a photo of London Scottish Prisoners still wearing kilts.

This does not mean you may not come across a pic of some wearing trousers or shorts, I haven't seen a pic of the LS in particular, but have seen quite a few of other Highland units wearing other than kilt leg wear.

I have quite a bit of personnel correspondence of a Black Watch soldier who later transferred to the MGC.

In one of his letters he stated that during training in the UK he rarely wore a kilt.

Also I haven't been able to do much research on British Highland units but in the CEF during the winter of 1917 all Kilts were turned in Nov 1917 and were not reissued until Late Winter.

Joe Sweeney

Photos from the Regimental history shows all ranks, less field officers, were kilts throughout the war. There is no mention of any change to trousers ... there is bound to a picture somewhere of a London Scottish soldiers somewhere in trews

Also I haven't been able to do much research on British Highland units but in the CEF during the winter of 1917 all Kilts were turned in Nov 1917 and were not reissued until Late Winter.

If you go to the 'archives' page of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation website here , you will find an audio clip from a 1967 programme commemorating the 50th anniversary of the battle of Passchendaele. Other than the narrator, all the voices are those of distinguished veterans of that battle. Listen for the bit about the kilt and long underwear!

The London Scottish never stopped wearing kilts in the Great War. I have never seen any photos of men from the unit wearing trews; I have all the regimental gazettes right through to 1920 and in all the numerous photos they are wearing kilts.

Thanks to you all for your replies.

Paul,you don't happen to have a photo of no 4 platoon,A company in 1916 in those gazettes do you,I'am researching a Pte(later Sjt) William Hector Warden who served in no 4 platoon until he was killed in 1917.

Many thanks for your help.

Happy New Year.

Stu

There is a photo of No 4 Platoon, but not his. I also checked the 'Roll of Honour' pages and no portrait photo of him in the 1917 gazettes. He is listed in the casualty roll, but that merely states he died of wounds with no other details.

The only exception I have seen to the LS wearing the kilt have been of officers, warrent officers etc in trews/breeches. Mounted men (e.g. battalion transport) would have also worn a mounted breech I would have thought. The remaining 99% would be proudly wearing their kilts.

There is a photo of No 4 Platoon, but not his. I also checked the 'Roll of Honour' pages and no portrait photo of him in the 1917 gazettes. He is listed in the casualty roll, but that merely states he died of wounds with no other details.

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for looking for me,I really appreciate your help.

Stu

The only exception I have seen to the LS wearing the kilt have been of officers, warrent officers etc in trews/breeches. Mounted men (e.g. battalion transport) would have also worn a mounted breech I would have thought. The remaining 99% would be proudly wearing their kilts.

Krithia.

Many thanks for that.

Stu

Can anyone please help me.

Did the London Scottish stop wearing their kilts later in the war,I have seen the famous picture of some of them after Messines in 1914 and they are wearing kilts,but I have also seen what I think is a picture of them in 1916 not wearing kilts,is this correct?

Many thanks

Stu

A London jock with shorts on , overseas prob F&F,transport section 1917/18

Hello Stu

Again transport section, . Bit of a mangy beast, the horse looks a bit ropey too.....

Tom ......

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the picture,they both look in need of a decent meal and a bath :)

By the way,thats a very nice group on your profile,are they yours?

Regards.

Stu

Nice group......

Part of a small collection i have.....would one day like to track down an image of the recipient. (London Territorial)

Tom..

Nice group......

Part of a small collection i have.....would one day like to track down an image of the recipient. (London Territorial)

Tom..

Tom,

No doubt you have looked in the unit history etc,but perhaps someone on the forum could help you.

You could post a request for help,with a picture of the group it would surely attract a lot of interest.

Stu

Hello Stu

Yes, ..... although the highest decorated NCO in his unit, no image of him in the unit war history. (from a forum member who holds a copy) I must say i have a done a bit on him, still plenty to do but as this one is a labour of love im in no hurry. Will find an image of him if i dig deep enough im sure. I’ve yet to do the relevant war diary, must have some Contempory mentions, follow up some lose ends, local news paper archive ect, ect.

Tom......