The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

16TH MIDDLESEX REGIMENT .

steve140968

I have a deep interest in the 16th Middlesex regiment and was wondering whether anyone knows of any titles that cover this batallion especially from a official history angle , regards , Steve .

I have a deep interest in the 16th Middlesex regiment and was wondering whether anyone knows of any titles that cover this batallion especially from a official history angle , regards , Steve .

Have you tried "Diehards in the Great War" by Everard Wyrall?

Dave.

Hi,

There are several sources in the IWM Dept of Documents (search Middlesex & 16th) and one (Horace Ham) in the IWM Sound Archive (search Middleex & 16). Both spinning off the IWM website to those Departments search collections. I presume you have already tried these but just to be helpful!

Cheers,

Pete

;) Dave , thanks . Unfortuanately 'Diehards in the great war' is one of the few sources of information i do have . Regards , Steve .

;) Pete , i have not tried this source so a big thanks , Steve .

Horace Hamm was a veteran I knew very well; glad he was interviewed for the IWM sound archive as well. He only served with the 16th Bn from the Spring of 1916 until he was wounded on 1st July; he was hit by shrapnel before the battalion even moved off, so missed out on the carnage on Hawthorn Ridge. He later served at Arras with the 12th Bn.

There is a battalion history of the 16th which I am sure I have mentioned to you before, Steve? I am sure IWM will have a copy.

;) Appoligies Paul if you have mentioned this in the past . I've now contacted IWM so hopefully i'll be able to make some progress along this road . Regards , Steve .