Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2717 Pte J Mason. West Yorks Regiment.

Frank_East

I have just read an item in the Yorkshire Evening Post (26/8/2003) that an Aussie ,Len Pattison from Melbourne, Victoria has made a special journey to Leeds from Essex while on holiday to find the relatives of 2717 Pte J Mason formerly of the West Yorkshire Regiment.

Apparently he bought The War Medal,The Victory Medal and The 1914-18 Star some twenty years ago which had initially been awarded to Pte Mason and now wishes to return them to the relatives of Pte Mason.

As he posed with the medals Mr Pattison said "I feel better already ,To be honest I've been feeling really guilty about having them".

"The guy in the shop in Melbourne said they had been shipped over from England and I bought them because they were just like my Dad's".

Mr Pattison ,himself a former soldier ,added "When I found them again I just thought ,I should't have these"

"I know how much my Dad's mean to me and I am sure it would mean a lot to this man's relatives to have them. It would make me really happy to able to hand the medals over to them".

Mr Pattison is due to return to Australia in the middle of October and is keen to find relatives of Private Mason before he leaves.

Anyone having information on Private Mason is requested to ring 0113 2432701