Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Batt. Essex Regiment November 1914

kbjoslin

Dear All,

I have just started doing some research on my Great Grandfather, Arthur James Linge. The Comonwealth War Graves Commission lists him as:

Name: LINGE, ARTHUR JAMES

Initials: A J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Essex Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 24/11/1914

Service No: 7853

Additional information: Son of William and Alice Linge.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. A. 67.

Cemetery: BOULOGNE EASTERN CEMETERY

As far as I can gather, he died as the result of a bayonet wound at the clearing hospital, but from the little I've found out so far, the 2nd were in Festubert around that time. It seems rather a long way from Boulogne, so I'd be grateful for any information about the actions leading up to that date.

An 'In Memorium' card came up for sale on Ebay in the last month or so tp this man. It had no photo of him in it, and unfortunately I have lost the link to where it was. Perhaps someone here bought it?

An 'In Memorium' card came up for sale on Ebay in the last month or so tp this man. It had no photo of him in it, and unfortunately I have lost the link to where it was. Perhaps someone here bought it?

Thanks Paul I spotted that - too late to bid, but I've tracked down the buyer and contacted him yesterday. I have some family photos that I will scan in the near future. His wife - another Alice (as is my daughter) lived into her mid-eighties so I knew her well, but she never talked about Arthur. I suspect the Memorium card was probably thrown away after she died by my not terribly bright uncles who cleared her house. These were the same smart fellows who also threw out over a hundred glass photographic plates of family and Victorian and Edwardian Chelmsford.

Hi K,

Welcome to the Forum.

The wounded were taken to Casualty Clearing Stations and more serious cases were evacuated to General hospitals, (in half of the cases they were transported to England for further treatment or convalescing ). These were located near the main army bases, such as Boulogne. More information: here.

It is not clear when exactly your Great Grandfather was wounded but here are the War Diary entries of the 2nd Battalion The Essex Regiment for the period in question.

Fri., Nov 20, 1914

6 p.m.

Relieved by EAST LANCASHIRE REGT on line LE GHEER – WARNAVE R.

A Company (from Reserve) took over trenches from R. INNISKILLING FUSILIERS ???? cross roads S E of E in WARNAVE – level crossings exclusive – line held by Bn now extends from WARNAVE – LEVEL crossing N of E in LE TOUQUET – trenches taken over very bad indeed – practically no communication trenches – no work appears to have been done on these trenches.-

Casualties killed 1 wounded 4

missing 1.

--- signed L.O.W. Jones, Capt for Major Commanding 2/Essex Rgt

Sat., Nov 21, 1914

Quiet day – some movement of enemy’s transport heard at night

Casualties wounded 2.

Sun., Nov 22, 1914

Capt Doberey wounded – No 4 Company

8 a.m.

2/Monmouth regt arrived by platoons to be attached

Casualties killed 1 wounded 6

Mon., Nov 23, 1914

10 a.m.

2 platoons No 2 Company 2/Monmouth Regt arrived as working party.

- Capt Rose killed. Capt Maule wounded.

Casualties killed 1 officer and 5 (3) inclusive2/Mon Regt

wounded 1 ,, ,, ? (2) inclusive 1 Mon Regt

11. a.m.

Lt Gard???& 4 platoons to NIEPPE for washing

Tue., Nov 24, 1914

6 p.m.

The 4 platoons of Monmouth went into trenches – 2 platoons No 2 Co. returned to LE BIZET.

Casualties killed 1

wounded 2

(Transcribed by moi, in progress & with original typos and words yet to be deciphered [?????].)

John Wm. Burrows, Essex Units in the War 1914 – 1919, Vol. 2, 2nd Battalion The Essex Regiment, writes the following about the period of late November 1914:

post-2017-1136113435.jpg

If your Great Grandfather was bayonetted on the 24th, Burrows was very much mistaken.....

Cheers,

Michael

Thank you very much Michael. That is extremely useful information. I now have a reasonable idea of where the actions took place. I have no great hope of pinning down on which date he was wounded, but it's an extremely good start. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello K

I was interested to read your post as I have been researching Arthur's brother Ernest, who is on my local war memorial. Ernest was also in the 2nd Essex and died of wounds in January 1915.

Arthur had at least one letter from the front published in the Essex County Chronicle newspaper, and his wife Alice made the local papers a year later when she was reported to be the first war widow in the borough of Chelmsford to remarry.

You might find the following paragraph from the Essex Weekly News (27 Nov 1914) interesting:

"Mrs A. Linge of Baker's-yard, George Street, Chelmsford, has received a letter from a lady in Boulogne stating that her husband, Pte A. Linge of the Essex Regt, is wounded and in Boulogne hospital. The unfortunate man sustained a broken leg, a wound in the left arm and a slight wound at the back of the head. Pte Linge was a reservist called up at the outbreak of the war."

• 2 weeks later...
Hello K

I was interested to read your post as I have been researching Arthur's brother Ernest, who is on my local war memorial. Ernest was also in the 2nd Essex and died of wounds in January 1915.

Arthur had at least one letter from the front published in the Essex County Chronicle newspaper, and his wife Alice made the local papers a year later when she was reported to be the first war widow in the borough of Chelmsford to remarry.

You might find the following paragraph from the Essex Weekly News (27 Nov 1914) interesting:

"Mrs A. Linge of Baker's-yard, George Street, Chelmsford, has received a letter from a lady in Boulogne stating that her husband, Pte A. Linge of the Essex Regt, is wounded and in Boulogne hospital. The unfortunate man sustained a broken leg, a wound in the left arm and a slight wound at the back of the head. Pte Linge was a reservist called up at the outbreak of the war."

Thank you very much for the additional information, it's much appreciated. My Mother has some letters, photographs, and (I believe) some other bits and bobs which might prove interesting. She told me that Ernie and Arthur's brother Bert, who I knew when I was young, but never worked out the relationship, also served in the Royal Marines in France. I can only imagine that Arthur must have contracted gangrene as the wounds didn't sound that bad. Once I have more information, I'll put up a web-page and post the link.

Thanks again.

Kevin

• 1 month later...

OK, I've finally tracked down some images of the folks in question.

The first is my Great Grandfather, Arthur Linge DOW November 1914

arthuralicelinge.jpg

Next, we have his brother Ernie, DOW January 1915

erniesmall.jpg

Continued on next post...

A postcard of the Essex Regiment marching through Chelmsford in August(?) 1914. The gun in the background was a trophy from Sebastapol and is now in the grounds of the Essex Regimental Museum in Chelmsford.

Essex%20Regt%20Chelmsford%201914%20small

And finally, a handwritten pass allowing my Great-Grandfather a few hours off duty. I can't decipher the officer's signature.

AJLPass.jpg

Hi Kevin,

Great photographs, thanks for sharing them. The postcard is fantastic, somewhere amongst the soldiers marches my Grandfather. Looking at the service number 7853 I’d say that your Great Grandfather was a regular soldier. Is that correct?

I'm amazed that your Great Grandfather was given a pass on August 20. The 2nd Battalion was billeted in Harrow on the 20th and received embarkation orders that very afternoon. Perhaps he never got the chance to use the pass…

Looking at the signature on the pass, I would guess it was signed by Lieutenant G.C. Binsteed. (who was killed April 8, 1915.) Problem is that he wasn’t the Officer commanding A Coy at the time, but more likely he commanded one of the platoons of A Company.

Here is a photo of the 2nd Essex in Norwich market on August 10, 1914. They’re in there somewhere…

post-2017-1141724276.jpg

Cheers,

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Kevin

Here are two letters that Arthur Linge had published in the Essex County Chronicle.

The Essex County Chronicle (Friday 6 November 1914)

RAIN AND THE GERMANS

Mrs. Linge, of Baker's Yard, George Street, Chelmsford, has received a letter from her husband with the Expeditionary Force in France:– "I got your parcel safe, and glad to hear from you. I am all right at present. Have had rather a hot time in the trenches, with the rain and the Germans shooting at us all the time. We have lost a lot of fellows killed and wounded. I have had several narrow escapes from shell fire, but I don't think my turn has come yet. Hope to get home safely soon, as I am longing to see you and the kiddies. The Germans have nearly ruined this country, burning villages down, looting every shop."

The Essex County Chronicle (20 November 1914)

THE TRENCH THAT CAVED IN

Pt. A. Linge, 2nd Essex, writing on Nov. 5 to his wife, living at Baker's Yard, George Street, Chelmsford, says:– "I am all right at present. Am having a rest for a few days from the trenches. Young Rule, whom you saw at Harwich, is dead – shot through the neck three days ago. The same day three men in our Section got buried through a shell coming into the trench, making it cave in. We dug them out alive, the Germans shelling us all the time. Have got plenty of fags and tobacco, thanks to the people at home. Hope to see you again some day, if God permits."

Details of Arthur's death as given by the Essex County Chronicle

(4 December 1914)

Private Linge, whose wife lives in Baker’s Yard, George Street, Chelmsford, was in Boulogne Hospital suffering from a broken leg, a wound in the left arm, and a slight wound at the back of the head. He died on the 24th November. Several bright and cheery letters from the deceased soldier have from time to time appeared in the ESSEX COUNTY CHRONICLE and much sympathy is felt for Mrs Linge and her young family in the loss they have sustained.

Details of Arthur's widow's marriage from the Essex County Chronicle (10 December 1915)

WAR WIDOW MARRIES. The first war widow to marry in the borough [of Chelmsford] is Mrs A. Linge, of George Street, whose husband, called up with the reserves to the 2nd Essex Regt., died over a year ago from wounds received at Ypres. The bridegroom was Lance-Corpl. Henry Charles Duce, of the Rifle Brigade, a tram conductor under the West Ham Corporation at Plaistow, who served through the South African War as a bugler with the 3rd Essex Regt. He is now stationed at Tring. The wedding took place at St John's Church on Saturday, the Rev. L. W. Wright officiating. The bride, who wore a cinnamon brown costume, trimmed with saxe blue, with velvet hat to match, was given away by her father, Mr. Hy. Chas. Hart, of Springfield, and was attended by Mrs Harry Jarvis (whose husband was best man) and little Miss Winnie Jarvis. A sergeant from the bridegroom's regiment attended, and his comrades have since presented the bride with a silver-mounted umbrella and the bridegroom with a silver-mounted walnut inkstand.

Details of Arthur's death as given by the Essex County Chronicle

(4 December 1914)

Private Linge, whose wife lives in Baker’s Yard, George Street, Chelmsford, was in Boulogne Hospital suffering from a broken leg, a wound in the left arm, and a slight wound at the back of the head. He died on the 24th November. Several bright and cheery letters from the deceased soldier have from time to time appeared in the ESSEX COUNTY CHRONICLE and much sympathy is felt for Mrs Linge and her young family in the loss they have sustained.

Details of Arthur's widow's marriage from the Essex County Chronicle (10 December 1915)

WAR WIDOW MARRIES. The first war widow to marry in the borough [of Chelmsford] is Mrs A. Linge, of George Street, whose husband, called up with the reserves to the 2nd Essex Regt., died over a year ago from wounds received at Ypres. The bridegroom was Lance-Corpl. Henry Charles Duce, of the Rifle Brigade, a tram conductor under the West Ham Corporation at Plaistow, who served through the South African War as a bugler with the 3rd Essex Regt. He is now stationed at Tring. The wedding took place at St John's Church on Saturday, the Rev. L. W. Wright officiating. The bride, who wore a cinnamon brown costume, trimmed with saxe blue, with velvet hat to match, was given away by her father, Mr. Hy. Chas. Hart, of Springfield, and was attended by Mrs Harry Jarvis (whose husband was best man) and little Miss Winnie Jarvis. A sergeant from the bridegroom's regiment attended, and his comrades have since presented the bride with a silver-mounted umbrella and the bridegroom with a silver-mounted walnut inkstand.

Thank you very much for that fascinating information. The only thing extra I currently have is the photograph that Arthur carried with him. It is of his wife Alice (also my daughter's name) on the right, Ernie's wife Belle, on the left. My Grandmother Lily top centre and my Great Aunt Rose (Lily of Laguna being a great favourite) on her lap, and Ernie's daughters Ivy (on Belle's lap) and Dora, middle front. Thanks again.

alicelilyrose.jpg

• 1 year later...

Pte E H Linge Medals and Plaque

I have just noticed that the above man's medals etc are up for sale on the following website:-

militaryantiques.co.uk

521 Great War Pair and Plaque Essex Regiment

Nice group consisting of British war medal, victory medal and bronze memorial plaque. The medals were awarded to 3-860 Pte E H Linge Essex R. Ernest Henry Linge died of wounds France and Flanders 29th January 1915. He is entitled to a star which is not present. The medals are in good overall condition, the plaque has a hole in the top. The group is complete with forwarding letter for the BWM and a memorial card.

£ 185.00 - Buy Me

I cannot afford them this soon after Christmas!

I have just noticed that the above man's medals etc are up for sale on the following website:-

militaryantiques.co.uk

Nice group consisting of British war medal, victory medal and bronze memorial plaque. The medals were awarded to 3-860 Pte E H Linge Essex R. Ernest Henry Linge died of wounds France and Flanders 29th January 1915. He is entitled to a star which is not present. The medals are in good overall condition, the plaque has a hole in the top. The group is complete with forwarding letter for the BWM and a memorial card.

£ 185.00 - Buy Me

Thanks Bill - I snapped them up. I missed Arthur's memorial card on e-bay just before I joined this forum, but I live in hope that his medals may turn up some day.

Kevin

militaryantiques.co.uk

£ 185.00 - Buy Me

Good service from these fellows. They arrived this morning.

Medals%20etc.jpg

As I find out more, I will add to the thread. Thank you all for your help.

Kevin

The officers signature could be Lt G R Howard .. maybe?? who was in 2/Essex in 1914

That is possible. I will see if I can borrow the original and do some colour filter work on it to see if the signature becomes any clearer.

Thanks

Kevin