Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

lost patrol 0440,1/1/06 BBC2

bradley

Gor Blimey Guv'nor Tanner a Paund! real 1930s take on the war in Mesopotamia,Either Crystal Cut Accents or Hollywood Irishmen/Cockneys! But a treat none the less.Well worth a watch!

Guest IMDB Fan

Oh dear old boy , a bunch of British ex-pats trying to sound all working class like guv . As for the religous maniac it seems all that is required is to give a thousand yard stare and laugh like a hyena

Glad the Arabs didn`t get any speaking parts otherwise we`d see some blacked up American actors going " By the beard of Allah we will wipe out the white man and all the other infidels and may they burn along with their ancestors "

Glad the Arabs didn`t get any speaking parts otherwise we`d see some blacked up American actors going " By the beard of Allah we will wipe out the white man and all the other infidels and may they burn along with their ancestors "

I Say - this sounds like abit of a jolly. Is Bernard Breslaw in it as one of the Arab types? :P

Carry On Sergeant!...................

Best bit for me had to be the soldier who climbed the palm tree and then goes "look, I see something - looks like sunlight glinting off a rifle barrel...BANG!" :D

I recorded it and watched it later in the day. What a disappointment! I had thought it was another Victor McLaglen film of this type that I wouldn't have minded watching again.

I tried to bear in mind that it was made in 1934, so let's be generous and say that it set an early (low) standard on which subsequent films improved.

The extended conversations attempting to establish the personalities of the soldiers irritated me, and at one stage McLaglen (I think) stares out into the desert and says he wishes something would move. Like the plot, I thought.

Surprising to see that John Ford was the director and that the musical score (which I found grating) won an Oscar.

Moonraker

After posting the above, I checked the review in

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025423/

and saw that 338 people had given the film an average score of 7.2 out of 10; I gave it 4, and this was nearly a 3.

I gather the soldiers' equipment was authentic, unlike in some Hollywood films of the British Army (eg "Gunga Din").

Moonraker

Guest IMDB Fan
After posting the above, I checked the review in

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025423/

and saw that 338 people had given the film an average score of 7.2 out of 10; I gave it 4, and this was nearly a 3.

Moonraker

Strangely enough the one thing I find hardest to do is award a film marks out of ten . No doubt THE LOST PATROL was entertaining in 1934 but has badly dated to the point of being unwatchable now . Do I judge it from a 1934 perspective or one from 2005/6 ?

If we`re talking movies broadcast in the wee small hours with the First World War as a backdrop does THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT count as a first world war movie ?

Now, I saw the film in my childhood and I recall it as a very gripping movie. Maybe if I watched it today I wouldn't find it so? Can't tell, but I'm afraid that modern movie-watchers have been too perverted by exploding helicopter chases (and utter lack of plots, in the modern sense) and lost the sense of wonder which made our forefathers enjoy huguely these "dated" films.

Gloria

Strangely enough the one thing I find hardest to do is award a film marks out of ten . No doubt THE LOST PATROL was entertaining in 1934 but has badly dated to the point of being unwatchable now . Do I judge it from a 1934 perspective or one from 2005/6 ?

If we`re talking movies broadcast in the wee small hours with the First World War as a backdrop does THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT count as a first world war movie ?

I try to bear in mind the vintage of the film, but the problem was that though The Lost Patrol had some good reviews it was never a classic, unlike most of the other early films screened on British TV (eg The Battleship Potemkin, shown a few weeks ago).

Last year we also saw one of John Mills' first films, The Ghost Camera, made in 1933, with Henry Kendall as a private detective with an incredibly fancy voice. Curiosity value part, it was unwatchable. And then there are all those 1930s Westerns, even those with John Wayne (before he became a star). In one series he played "Singing Sandy", who burst into song as he confronted the baddies.

Moonraker

I gather the soldiers' equipment was authentic, unlike in some Hollywood films of the British Army (eg "Gunga Din").

Moonraker

More or less - the American slings on the SMLE's were one mistake I spotted...

• 16 years later...

Watch it here

Well, it is 16 years ago since I watched it, but I didn't remember any of it when I viewed it again tonight. Again I was irritated by the extended conversations to which I refer above.