Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Victory Medal

Peter B

Hello,

I have been in contact with a French man who is intrested in a British Victory Medal I have. He has asked the question is this medal a first type (bronze issue) or second type (common gold gilt issue)?

As far as I am aware the Victory Medal was of a gold gilt issue, I have never seen a British bronze one.

The BWM was issued in bronze to foriegn labour companys I belive, but did they receive a bronze victory?

He states he has found this information in the following book.

The Interallied Victory Medals of World War I

Second revised Edition

Alexander J. LASLO

Dorado Publishing

Albuquerque

New Mexico

If any one can confirm that there was two types of British Victory Medal it would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

PB

There are two types of the medal - one has the dull gold effect, the other is a brassy bronze in colour and gains in time a nice reddy patina. This type, I have found, is the one with the ribbon ring which is unsoldered. I don't think any numbers were given for issue of the two types. Williamson's book gives an excellent account of the two types.

Lee

The Bronze or "Chocolate" Finish Victory is subject to much discussion,It is in fact a very limited issue,I believe to just 627 recipients & had a seperately attached Ball @ the top to allow for the suspension ring,[Most are struck in one piece & machined to take the ring through the Mounting ball];the "Normal" gilt finished Victories if polished,or the Finish cleaned off & stored in damp conditions will over time accquire the Brown Rusty finish that has led to this abberation,thus many such Brown finish victories arrive from the Indian sub continent,where such conditions favour this deterioration & resultant discolouring.BMF Chocolate Victory~Cadbury

Lee thanks for you quick reply.

It looks like my french friend was right with there being two types.

Having now looked through my collection of victory medals I have a couple which are more of a bronzie appearance. I had always thought the change in colour was to do with previous polishing of the medal.

We live and learn.

Thanks for your help

Peter

Harry thanks for your reply as well.

The ones I have are your standard victory medal and unfortunally not one of the 627. Do you know of any of the receipents of these medals, or were they specialy made or just a trail manufacturing run?

Thanks

Peter

The two mentioned in the link are both to RA Officers,so I would say its probably a fair bet they were all similarly issued,the weakness of the Ball being their downfall,leading to the hastily introduced "Normal" one we see most of.

If any one can confirm that there was two types of British Victory Medal it would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

Hello Peter

Have seen a good few over the years. ..... Im interested

The named Bronze or Bronzed victory medal as has been said is not standard issue and is fairly uncommon, interestingly a member has stated only 627 were issued, this may be true as i have come across at least two types one of a much higher standard than the other. In my own experience colleting medals the better type are rarely seen ........ I was told many years ago if you were entitled to the medal for a fee you could order and be issued with a bronzed victory medal, i believe this was the case (please someone tell me if this is incorrect) . They are Erroneously sometimes known as an officers victory medal presumably because of the expense. However the vast majority that i have seen do seem to be within officers medal groups, but by no means all. .....

Tom.

Edited by MIDMED