Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has anyone read/seen a copy of this book?

Gordon Caldecott

5,000 Miles with the Cheshire Yeomanry in South Africa A Series of Articles, Compiled from Letters and Diaries Written By Officers, Non-Commissioned Officers and Men of the 21st and 22nd (Cheshire) Companies of Imperial Yeomanry.... In South Africa

Cooke, John H. (compiled by)

Bookseller:

B.D.McManmon

(Preston, LAN, United Kingdom) Book Price:

£ 425.00

Cheers Roy, I`ll be in touch!!!!!!

John your quite right, what a good memory you have!!!! Are you in Mensa? ho,ho,ho.

Does anyone know of any other books, on the Cheshire Yeomanry? I`ve got the one by Richard Verdin, which is very interesting, but would like to read more, if they exist?

Has anyone seen this one?

Imperial Yeomanry book compiled by Kevin J Asplin- I`m told its a list of medal/clasp entitlements to the IY.

Published 2 to 3 years ago?

[Note the price!!!!

(£425) and that is descibed: "it is, however, rather worn and torn"

The only other one I can find is:

Bookseller: Collectors Treasury

(Johannesburg, , South Africa) Price: £ 748.27

[Convert Currency] Shipping within South Africa:

£ 3.38

Happy New Year everyone.

Terry

Last July there was a copy auctioned at Lawrences in Crewkerne, Somerset

Scroll down to find telephone number.

I don't know if they will be able to tell you who bought it and if they can it may well be sold etc... but... etc.

The hammer price was £90.

Anyway, just a thought.

zoo

5,000 Miles with the Cheshire Yeomanry in South Africa A Series of Articles, Compiled from Letters and Diaries Written By Officers, Non-Commissioned Officers and Men of the 21st and 22nd (Cheshire) Companies of Imperial Yeomanry.... In South Africa

Cooke, John H. (compiled by)

Bookseller:

B.D.McManmon

(Preston, LAN, United Kingdom) Book Price:

£ 425.00

I happen to know this seller. I bought the History of the 5th Royal Irish Lancers from him a while back (there is a thread about it somewhere). I paid £450 for the copy of my book but to be fair the book is ultra rare. Not sure how rare the one you are after but I managed to pay in instalments.

Has anyone seen this one?

Imperial Yeomanry book compiled by Kevin J Asplin- I`m told its a list of medal/clasp entitlements to the IY.

Published 2 to 3 years ago?

Gordon,

He may still have some copies lying around. If you visit Kevin's website one of the links will show you a nominal list of all the men of the Yeomanry. I assume that the book would be similar but with the clasp entitlements.

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/kevinasplin/home.html

He also does research, he's doing some for me at present, and has also published rolls for the Indian Mutiny and China 1856-60, among other works in the archives.

Best Regards,

Matthew

First of all........

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ONE AND ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right down to business, many thanks for all your replies on this subject, can`t believe I missed a copy for £90, I`m kicking myself!!!! Interesting that it went so cheap, given the price on dealers lists, but I suppose thats auctions for you. I`d be happy with a modern re print, maybe one day, this will happen, fingers crossed?? I should imagine that given the price, you won`t even be able to get it from the libary, either?

I think only about 100 copies were made, all signed by the author?

Gordon.

Cheers westkent, for your link, I`ve found my man on it.......

Gleave, John William 27454, Trooper 22nd Coy., 2nd Bn. I.Y.

Also found these.......

Caldicott, James 44415, Trooper* 33rd Bn. I.Y.

Caldicott, William 22099, Trooper 89th Coy., 9th Bn. I.Y.

Caldicutt, A.E. 24592, L/Corporal 27th Coy., 7th Bn. I.Y.

Interestly my ancestors came from Cheshire, and were farmers, I`ve often wondered did any of them enlist in the Yeomanry. The spelling isn`t correct so don`t think they are related to me, and none of them seem to be local Yeomanry Regimnets. Maybe if any of my family name did serve in the Yeomanry, maybe they didn`t go to South Africa. I suppose I`ll never know for sure? The link to the site, is very interesting and well worth a visit, thanks again westkent.

Hello Gordon,

There is also a prequel to Verdin's book, covering the period 1797 - 1897. Is was written by Frederick Leary, and published in 1898.

Cheers,

Wienand

Cheers Roy, I`ll be in touch!!!!!!

John your quite right, what a good memory you have!!!! Are you in Mensa? ho,ho,ho.

Does anyone know of any other books, on the Cheshire Yeomanry? I`ve got the one by Richard Verdin, which is very interesting, but would like to read more, if they exist?

One volume that sees enquiries quite often on this forum is

Light Railways of the First World War: A History of Tactical Rail Communications on the British Fronts 1914-1918 W.J.K. Davies David & Charles 1968

There is a copy for sale in the states at £465 and a trio in the UK at £100 - £116. Given that copies regularly sell at the highter price the cheaper trio are probably a bargain .....

A couple of years ago asked a leading railway bookseller about WW1 volumes and this one in particular to be told one could almost name one's price - he had a waiting list of six people all wanting copies.

Makes you wonder why publishers, don`t reprint these books. I can`t speak for everyone, but I`m not interested in getting a first print copy or signed by the auther,etc,etc. I just want the information contained inside these books :( I`d be quite happy with a paper back modern print copy!!!! :)

Guest IMDB Fan

Mind if someone like me who rarely reads books asks why this book is so expensive ?

The most I ever spent on a book was a copy of John Christopher`s novel The Death Of Grass which cost me £20 quid . I got it via a book search company and if I bought a first edition it would have set me back £70

£ 425 ? £ 748.27 ? Please tell me the decimal points are in the wrong places !

Gordon contact your local library, they should be able to get you a copy from the British library, I have done this a few times with rare books I wanted to read....they is a charge for this (well at least my library charged me) think it was about £5.00. I have just checked the British library online...they have a copy of the book so there should be no problem getting hold of it.

John.

http://catalogue.bl.uk/F/XKR5F5AVQP3S459B1...0004&format=999

Thanks for your advice John, and taking the time to check out the availablity for me. I`ve managed to track a copy down, thanks to another forum memeber. I waiting for it to come in the post (on loan, I must add). I`m hoping its going to be the Holy Grail for my research into the 21/22 in South Africa!!!!!!

IMND Fan, sorry but I can`t answer your question about why do dear. The onlt thing I can think of is that only 500 copies were ever made shortly after the war, and are all signed by the author. But like I said, this means nothing to me, I just want the information contained within!!!