The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

124 Brigade RFA

richardprice

Hi,

I hope somebody can shed some light on what units were put together to make up 124 Brigade RFA prior to joining 37 Division in April 1915.

I am trying to trace the movements of my Grandfather Sergeant HG Price 62444 who was in D/124 in early 1917 (ref Pay Book) and was reassigned to D/44 sometime after 30/7/1917. He went to France on 31/7/1915 (ref MIC) which fits in with the original move by 37 Division. I know that HG enlisted in 1910 and was stationed at Ballincolig Cork in October 1914. I understand that 24th Brigade RFA were at Ballincolig in August 1914 but transfered from there to France immediately.

Could the 124 have been formed by scraping together sections from Units left behind when the original formation went to France in 1914?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Richard

Hi Richard, :)

124th Brigade RFA was New Army, but not sure how it was raised and who and what might have been added to it.

124th Brigade RFA was originally raised for the 31st Division, but when this was broken up it joined the Artillery Reserve.

It joined 37th Division by 15th April 1915.

This information is from the mother site The Long Long Trail.

My maternal Grandfather was in the RFA and I can tell you trying to trace war service in the Artillery is very difficult.

Cheers

Tim.

Hi Richard, :)

124th Brigade RFA was New Army, but not sure how it was raised and who and what might have been added to it.

124th Brigade RFA was originally raised for the 31st Division, but when this was broken up it joined the Artillery Reserve.

It joined 37th Division by 15th April 1915.

This information is from the mother site The Long Long Trail.

My maternal Grandfather was in the RFA and I can tell you trying to trace war service in the Artillery is very difficult.

Cheers

Tim.

Tim,

Thanks for the help - it is the early part of his record before France that I'm trying to track down. I know he was in Ballincolig in October 1914 as he got married to a scots lass (my grandmother) in a local church and the transfer dates to France fit in with the 124 Brigade / Div 37 link.

I am betting that there some records somewhere that show troop movements in Ireland if only to handle the transport by sea to England - and yes I can confirm that trying to trace Gunners is very exasperating :) It looks like I'll have to get up to London and squirrrel away in the National Archives....

Cheers

Richard