Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stupid is as Stupid does.

terryewalker

Surely it is illegal to remove items from Gallipoli?

Hi Papineau, Yes - its is illegal to remove any artefact from the Gallipoli battlefield. Saying that, one of the pine tree seedlings I brought back last year isn't doing so well !

• 2 years later...

Where does the time go? I was thinking about this thread earlier tonight, wondering what had eventually happened to these two men. When I looked up the thread I was surprised to find that it was over two years ago.

Anyways - their website is up and running again, I notice, so we must draw our own conlusions.

They're digging in Normandy at the moment but have email access so they can pick up your orders and reserve stuff for you. That's all right then.

Tom

Where does the time go? I was thinking about this thread earlier tonight, wondering what had eventually happened to these two men. When I looked up the thread I was surprised to find that it was over two years ago.

Anyways - their website is up and running again, I notice, so we must draw our own conlusions.

They're digging in Normandy at the moment but have email access so they can pick up your orders and reserve stuff for you. That's all right then.

Tom

What's the most tasteless item we could ask for...?

Adrian

So presumably, despite all the accusation and innuendo, there was no offence committed and there was no live explosives, illegal weapons or anything else for us to worry about. Is it then time to close this thread as a non event?

Mick

If its the same guys as on ebay, they just put up a load of relics, about 30 bits a pieces. mostly bayonets and chunks of other stuff,

some gallipoli items too,

gaz

Mick - there were offences committed and admitted.

Dated 10th June, 2008:

Yesterday, at Chichester Crown Court, Howe, a former soldier from Worthing, pleaded guilty to four counts of owning guns and firearms without a licence. White, a bus driver, also from Worthing, admitted six charges.

The pair had faced 14 charges each and between them pleaded not guilty to 18, which the prosecution later offered no evidence for.

They are due to be sentenced at the same court on July 1 and could face jail terms of up to five years.

I couldn't find any online reference to the sentencing. But it appears not to have involved anyone going to prison.

Tom

The brothers were selling at Beltring this July.

Was told that any sentencing was delayed or summick.

Its odd,& a bit disconcerting that the 2 blokes had helped many police forces with their detecting skills & equipment.

River/pond trawling was a specialty,I believe.

There is no doubt they are very good at what they do.

'Dug up' also sells the same items on his website on ebay.

Have viewed his site!!!

And here is the difference...when I walk the fields of France and luck leads me to a relic ie a badge or other item of personal interest, I treat it with respect. I have never dug and always found items by chance on the surface. I have had my luck but would never sell for profit. Every badge / relic I have found I have cherished as a historical item and always think of the man who lost it and probably his life to.

I do not like this selling for profit and the watches caused me some distress. I can only think what the watch meant to the man and was probably taken from the body at the hospital and thrown inthe burn pit due to gas contamination ( meant it could not be returned to family) only for this man to sell on for profit. Where is the respect?

TT

TT did they really throw watches out to be burnt because of gas contamination? I could understand clothing and some equipment but not solid items like watches, by that reasoning they must have thrown away huge numbers of rifles, compasses etc as well. More likely you throw a watch away because it was damaged in some other way.

Mick

Mick,

I would not know for certain but the burn pits were usually for uniforms damaged, blood stained or otherwise contaminated. If I was a wounded soldier and had a damaged watch I would probably keep it all the same. My reasoning being that imagine this senario.......

Wounded and bloodied soldier arrives at CCS, possibly contaminated with gas. Orderly strips him of all uniform and items. Would the same orderly rummage through filthy blood stained uniform contaminated with blood, gas, mud and all the other unmentionable filth of a battlefield or simply throw the lot....?

I leave it to peoples vivid imagination.

All the same the sentiment remains.

Regards

TT

Wasn't there a GVIR RE capbadge came out of a supposed burn pit a while back?

Mick

not beeing impolite ore taking anything off the heroic red cross and stretcherbearers... but an australian slang comes to mind. RAMC.. Robbs All My Cobbers. Seemed to have been derived that there were some of them who funded their own kings shilling with "found" items.

Just to differ with trenchtrotters discription. Further more have you ever thoughed about those hundreds of russian relic hunters whose events show upp on you tube? Clearly there is a market as these guys even sell to museums.

Ive always found it dispicable to hunt for relics . But then again i also have bought items on ebay for my display .. There's a thin line between exceptable and dispicable.

cooee

patrick