Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stupid is as Stupid does.

terryewalker

Good point. I think the diggers have people at hand who know the nature of the ordnance they are handling. They don't carry it back across the channel either in a van and try and sell it either.

If anyone is interested and missed my original post you can view the programme that Mr Howe appeared on.

Click on this post and all will be revealed :)

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...=ST&f=8&t=45325

Cheers

Ryan

I suppose the police are checking to see if this idiot has sold any of the "live" goods on. I'd hate to think of a UXB sitting proudly on someones mantelpiece.

From his website the chap states:

"If only you could imagine being without your family, friends, freedom for such a long time for the sake of a relic, not worth the price in my book.

I am now on police bail until the 15th February 2006, I will be using the time to disband what ever is left of the dugup collection and prepare to say goodbyes to my wife and children if the judge finds me guilty."

I may be doing him an unjustice but I think the wife and kids will be throwing a party if he gets banged up. No more Howitzer shells getting polished up while the family watch TV.

Well, well, well... if it isn't our old friend Tony Strippoli. We had quite an interesting discussion about 'Little Tony' and his wholesale earthmoving business several months ago.

For those who missed his fascinating website, feel free to check it out at www.somme-excavations.com

He used to have a guest book but after a few friendly comments from members of the forum he's taken it off the site.

I'm surprised to see that all his fingers are still attached.

Cheers,

Mat

"...candidate for the Darwin Awards.."

Sadly, regrettably - ineligible.

"To win, nominees must significantly improve the gene pool by eliminating themselves from the human race in an astonishingly stupid way."

("The Darwin Awards" by Wendy Northcutt, Orion Publishing, 2000. p17)

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately for the school next door) not achieved.

Also having friends who are ATOs (Ammunition Technical Officers) who have lost colleagues to the endeavours of the IRA and others, cretins like this are an unwanted extra burden. Greed does funny things to people, doesn't it?

Guest Simon Bull
Well, well, well... if it isn't our old friend Tony Strippoli. We had quite an interesting discussion about 'Little Tony' and his wholesale earthmoving business several months ago.

For those who missed his fascinating website, feel free to check it out at www.somme-excavations.com

He used to have a guest book but after a few friendly comments from members of the forum he's taken it off the site.

I'm surprised to see that all his fingers are still attached.

Cheers,

Mat

His website is called Somme Excavations. Having seen how he deals with unexploded ordnance I am surprised it is not called Somme Evacuations!

A quick look at the website revealed the good news that there doesn't appear to be anything for sale. Pictures of the excavation of a Pill Box showed several suspiciously modern looking cans of lager in the foreground. Did British troops drink tins of Jupiler, or are they to numb the pain when someone's pick-axe unearths a primed mills bomb?

I think this programme is being repeated on the London edition of Inside Out tonight. There is a article about 'smuggled' (BBC's description) shells coming into the country.

1930 tonight.

Gunner Bailey

• 2 weeks later...

I was just about to post that, Tom. It says that he was only due to report back to the police this week - presumably that means that he hasnt been charged with anything yet.

I see his website is closed.

John

I saw the man in question at a Militaria Fair on Sunday still selling his 'dug-up' bits. I have to say I avoided the stall, but clearly on display were the typical rusty ordnance and other suspect, 'grave-robbed' looking articles.

I understand he is also partial to digging in Gallipoli, and there I am sure you will get more than 22-hours police detention !

As with nearly all this stuff if it cannot be sold then these guys would not bother digging it up.

Roland.

I saw the man in question at a Militaria Fair on Sunday still selling his 'dug-up' bits. I have to say I avoided the stall, but clearly on display were the typical rusty ordnance and other suspect, 'grave-robbed' looking articles.

I understand he is also partial to digging in Gallipoli, and there I am sure you will get more than 22-hours police detention !

Gallipoli? Tell me more?

So the rumour goes, in the past he was detained at an airport in Turkey for a couple of days for bringing back relics ... is there no corner of a foreign field that this chap isn't known.

But we didn't find gold in Burma and all I got in the Philippines was a parking ticket.

The overall thing though is I'm not a criminal. I'm on the side of the police and customs officers. I don't want guns on the street

Amazing, I'm not sure whether he is deluded or just cunning.

Mr Howe's Filipino wife was also arrested during raids on her home, where a gun was found.

Not just a parking ticket it appears ;)

I wonder if they found lots of shoes at his wife's home.

Not that I know of. One of the guides we met always gives a few bits n bobs away as souvenirs and there's always a farmer on market day with a bunch of stuff to sell.